Forums Latest Members
  1. RubenDhae Aug 3, 2020

Hello again ladies and gentlemen

As my search for a first vintage (dress) watch continues, I have come across the following watch.
    It's for sale for 450 euros:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From what I can tell, the movement is an 801 and the crown is replaced.
    Are there other unoriginal parts or potential red flags?

Any advice or opinions on this potential buy is much appreciated!

Warm regards from Belgium
    Ruben

2. lillatroll Aug 3, 2020

The movement is most likely a 50. I would ask for a straight on dial shot so.thst you can check if it is a redial. The indices, or some of them, will most likely be off center and unevenly spaced if it is. It is hard to tell from the pictures provided.

The omega writing looks ok in the pictures provided but there might be a reason there are no close up shots.

Also ask for a case back shot so you can check the model number against other examples.

450 euro does not seem excessive if it is from a dealer. Not sure what the market price is for these.

Edited Aug 3, 2020
    janice&fred likes this.
  3. chipsotoole Aug 3, 2020

Hi Ruben,
    I'm not seeing any particular majors flags apart from the crown. The movement appears to be pretty (almost too) clean. It's hard to tell if it is a redial fron this angle but when I see a vintage 60's watch presented with a flawless dial like this I tend to be sceptical. It may be a drawer queen and hardly ever worn, but often finishes like these undergo a slight pearlescent change over time. It looks like it has been generally tarted up for sale. The strap looks like a cheap thing stuck on for the sake of a nice photo. 450 euros is on the high side but not ridiculous. I'd like to see better shots of the dial and the inside of the caseback.....Now I look at it again, there's something about the hands that is bothering me. Others will know more...for 450 I'd bide my time...there are many more like this out there...

janice&fred likes this.
  4. janice&fred Aug 3, 2020

Very good advice. The dial will be the wild card, whether original or not. Hard to tell from those pics.