Forums Latest Members
  1. magomed Dec 28, 2020

Hello everyone!

So first I want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and investing your time in this forum. It's really a cool place to exchange ideas and opinions about the world of watches. I hope that I will also be of help in the future!

So what led me into the world of watches?
    If you are expecting a great story, I have to disappoint you. I don't have any family members that are into watches or something like that. I remember noticing watches on other people when I was a kid, but it really started when I was a teenager when I spotted a beautiful AP Royal Oak on the wrist of my doctor. Browsing through the internet and learning about watches, I bumped into Omega and since then I'm really interested (especially in vintage models).Turning 22 years old in february, I would really love to add my first Omega into my little collection. My first watch was a Seiko SNXS77K1 and this year I added a Orient Kamasu.

I'm really excited to be a part of this community, thanks for accepting me!

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Magomed

2. kristal Dec 28, 2020

Hello Magomed and welcome to the forum! This is indeed a great place full of people with deep knowledge and love about watches.
    Greetings from Zurich :)

magomed likes this.
  3. mountainunder Dec 29, 2020

Welcome!!
    Let's enjoy the watch together:)

magomed likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 29, 2020

Welcome mate, a lot of guys get into Omega through vintage and its a very affordable way to get an extremely nice and well made watch.

magomed likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 29, 2020

Well you picked a good place to live if you like watches :whistling:

Surprised you don’t make them in school over there :D:D

Maths, History, Watchmaking, Geography type of thing.

magomed likes this.
  6. magomed Dec 29, 2020

The only thing I remember learning in school that was related to watches, was the question "What is Switzerland famous for?" or of course learning how to read a clock :D After obligatory school you have the oppurtunity to learn a profession, watchmaker is one of them. But I think it is not really popular. Especially kids nowadays forget how to read a manual clock, because they are used to there smartphones. :confused:

apsm100 likes this.
  7. nitediver Dec 29, 2020

welcome here. Also rather new to the forum, but have been into watches for a while.
    Gruss aus Luzern, Stefan

magomed likes this.
  8. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 29, 2020

Cheers from Neuchatel, welcome to OF upload_2020-12-29_20-25-0.gif

magomed likes this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 29, 2020

LG from ZH :thumbsup:

magomed likes this.
  10. magomed Dec 29, 2020

Thank you guys, liebe Grüsse aus dem Aargau :)

eugeneandresson likes this.
  11. iamvr Dec 29, 2020

Hi magomed
    Warm welcome. I'm also a recent joiner. OF is a great place to learn about Omega vintage watches, but also to acquire your first. Once you've figured out which model(s) you like, check the Private Watch Sales forum every now and then, where members sell and trade watches at a fair price among each other. This is also where I bought my first Omega vintage watch.

Gruess us Züri

magomed likes this.
  12. magomed Dec 29, 2020

Thank you for the advice. I already found the Private Watch Sales Forum and I'm really excited to see what kind of watches are being sold there.:thumbsup:

13. aleksejeremeev Dec 29, 2020

In 10 years the Magomed will write that he has a large collection of Omega watches. This hobby does not go away. and when you bought one watch after a while you look at another watch.

magomed likes this.
  14. Marsimaxam Dec 29, 2020

Welcome to the Forum.

I find your story very interesting. I can't imagine many American teenagers noticing an AP or even knowing the name of the brand. I'm impressed. I started young too, as a teenager in the 70s, collecting vintage timepieces from the 1920, 30s and 40s. Most of the watches I bought at flea markets or from a jeweler for the value of the gold. The watches were Walthams, Hamiltons, Gruens, Bulova, Tavannes, and other second tier brands.
    I was fortunate that these watches increased dramatically in value and combined with a lucrative career in the health field I was able to acquire high end watches, such as AP, Rolex, Patek, VC, Omega, Panerai, Breitling and others. I agree with aleksejeremeev that sometime in the future you too will acquire an amazing collection.

magomed likes this.
  15. magomed Dec 30, 2020

Marsimaxam and aleksejeremeev, that's exactly what I would love to achieve. Marsimaxam your story is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

I hope both of your predictions will come true! I certainly will do my best to accomplish a good career path, so that I'm also going to be able to acquire high end watches. Until then, I am looking forward to gaining a lot of experience and learning a lot about this topic. If you have some recommendations for books or similar, I would be really happy if you could share it with me.

16. tintin34 Dec 30, 2020

Welcome and Hoi magomed,

I think we all share similar story‘s. First attention on watches, first mechanical watch, firts high end watch and off you go with a collection. I was pretty much at the same age when starting with a Breitling Navitimer - some 30 years later, I am focussing on vintage Omegas owning 15 or so, plus other brands like Tudor, Rolex, blablabla...
    The watch collection journey took me over several years to many brands and vintage watches, buying and selling until I finally found my self and „my style“ focused. But still got that „virus“ and always having the next two watches „must have“ in my mind.

Maybe one day we Will have Swiss GTG somewhere to share stories and passion.

warm welcome from Rapperswil
    Tintin34

magomed and kristal like this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 30, 2020

magomed and kristal like this.
  18. tintin34 Dec 30, 2020

magomed likes this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 30, 2020

I won't tell what we learned in school on the subject "What is Switzerland famous for?" :whistling:
    Watchmaking didn't make the top-3 but Toblerone chocolate came third...

magomed and tintin34 like this.
  20. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 30, 2020

Did you also learn Geneva is our capital? :)

magomed likes this.