A New Scam Ring On Catawiki - START CLAIMS + REQUEST REFUNDS

Update on 28/11 - 100% Scam - Info here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-n...t-claims-request-refunds.166151/#post-2266125

I bought this watch and I'm quite excited, I've been wanting a deluxe Omega with baguette diamonds to wear and enjoy:
https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/76971007-omega-constellation-168004-14-unisex-1950-1959
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 17.38.57.png

Yet I was also going to bid on this and then saw the reviews of the seller:
https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/76953763-omega-constellation-168-009-unisex-1960-1969
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 23.35.38.png

Half the reviews says it's purely a scam and seller sent something else, also it says "Gelbgold" and half the definition has German words, while the seller is from Singapore

Now it's extremely likely the second one is a scam, and where I connect the dots is the photography style - same style photographs, and it seems like the white desk is the same too as there are black flecks on both sellers photos - I strongly believe the same person photographed these watches

Has anyone seen these watches before or observe a scam of this nature on Catawiki?

The part where I want to believe it's not a scam is because of the deluxe watches offered, for example this one from the seller I bought:
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 17.39.32.png

I like to think I've looked at all web accessible photos of C-Case's and haven't seen this ^ specific watch
Edited:

The 168.014 is interesting.
Do you think the metal indices are white gold (or possibly rhodium plated)

I can't knock the script, it looks correct - and it is a relatively late '.004' - but I've never seen this reference with a mixed M dial.

IIRC, they did appear on some C case dials and given that it is a deluxe dial and a special anyway, it may be that whoever was making gold dials for Omega at the time went with the mixed M approach.

As always with Omega - never say never......

for reference
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 21.28.12.png

I don't recall ever having seen a dial with white gold markers on a yellow gold dial. Doesn't mean that they don't exist, but it seems like a very odd design choice.

I don't recall ever having seen a dial with white gold markers on a yellow gold dial. Doesn't mean that they don't exist, but it seems like a very odd design choice.

I agree but the white markers would match the diamonds and at around the very same time Omega were producing this aberration.
The somewhat infamous and uncommon 168.008
Solid Gold case
gold dial and white slim line indices
White gold bezel.

3E1EC4E9-EE3D-415C-A8C6-C0E322C6573A.jpeg

Interesting! Here's a clearer image of the model:

sssmn.png

Odd design choice indeed, I hope the photos don't do the watch justice though, with a black strap and on the wrist I think the contrast could truly shine

09:17 hand position is also quite unflattering for the dauphine hands

As this seller's location was also Japan I was quite excited as there are many obscure collectors in Japan, yet one comment says the item he got was sent from China, so it confused me further

As a small bit of update seller sent the package to the wrong address, so sadly my dream is over, this is leaning more towards a "big heart break" territory :(

Hi everyone,

I've 100% confirmed that this was a scam, the tracking entered was to an unintended country and it was to a company name, I received an email from DHL to show that the package is not to my name too

If anyone has recently bought a watch from Catawiki from a seller from Japan or Singapore - Inquire now, call DHL, then call Catawiki and start claims

Sadly Catawiki isn't on it as yet and for some reason too relaxed about a widespread scam like this going on, I was informed that they are going to contact the seller and try to get the package rerouted, while it's clearly a common scam

Anyway, with 10+ incredible Omega's being auctioned recently, highly likely someone else from here got burnt too, in the off chance that it's seen Start Inquiring Fast

Thanks @kaplan for bringing this to the collective attention of the forum. There are a lot of bad actors out there. I hope that you're able to get a full refund.

Doesn't Catawiki hold payments in escrow until items are delivered? If so, I don't understand how this type of scam might work more than once (given an incorrect address) for any given seller.

I suppose that Catawiki also monitors the tracking information and perhaps releases the payment as soon as tracking states "delivered" (whereever?). Because some recipients might not act upon reception.

I personally bid on items only, which are located in the EU. Because of 25% customs added on non-EU items. That imo reduces scam risks also. At least I have not yet made bad experiences. In contrast, some really attractive purchases.

I would expect Catawiki to fully refund the payment, if you do not get what you had bid on.

Doesn't Catawiki hold payments in escrow until items are delivered? If so, I don't understand how this type of scam might work more than once (given an incorrect address) for any given seller.

So the exact method used here is:

1) Scammers collect dormant seller accounts or create them themselves, one review says an item was sent from China for a Japan account
2) They somehow managed to find these awesome watches that weren't seen on the web before
3) They make sales
4) They scan DHL tracking numbers one by one, let's say they start with 35000000 - they try 35000001 and so on until they find a number that's going to be delivered to your country - this is kind of a fluke of DHL

Since DHL delivers in 3-4 days, and systems automatically pay them after delivery, this could work and if you look at the reviews of this second seller: https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/76953763-omega-constellation-168-009-unisex-1960-1969 - they did it before ... (I didn't see/check this second seller before my purchase and connect the dots that they are the same source)

Now Catawiki should've noticed similar photos on different sellers and nip this in the bud before it came to this, as an outsider I was able to connect the dots but I was too late, and at this point, they could act faster, resolve the issue, send refunds to everyone, yet they didn't yet and as far as I talked to a representative, they weren't in the mindset that this was a very serious issue

To be honest I expect an eventual refund as well, but it's sad that they are so slow and so relaxed, in 2 days this purchase enters my CC statement, I'd rather not have to pay for a scam, and then have the funds returned to CC which will sit there as positive funds instead of cash

Yes indeed, you have x days after delivery to file a complaint. Once filed, the money is being held until a resolution is there

So the exact method used here is:

1) Scammers collect dormant seller accounts or create them themselves, one review says an item was sent from China for a Japan account
2) They somehow managed to find these awesome watches that weren't seen on the web before
3) They make sales
4) They scan DHL tracking numbers one by one, let's say they start with 35000000 - they try 35000001 and so on until they find a number that's going to be delivered to your country - this is kind of a fluke of DHL

Since DHL delivers in 3-4 days, and systems automatically pay them after delivery, this could work and if you look at the reviews of this second seller: https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/76953763-omega-constellation-168-009-unisex-1960-1969 - they did it before ... (I didn't see/check this second seller before my purchase and connect the dots that they are the same source)

Now Catawiki should've noticed similar photos on different sellers and nip this in the bud before it came to this, as an outsider I was able to connect the dots but I was too late, and at this point, they could act faster, resolve the issue, send refunds to everyone, yet they didn't yet and as far as I talked to a representative, they weren't in the mindset that this was a very serious issue

To be honest I expect an eventual refund as well, but it's sad that they are so slow and so relaxed, in 2 days this purchase enters my CC statement, I'd rather not have to pay for a scam, and then have the funds returned to CC which will sit there as positive funds instead of cash

I've once filed a claim, where the watch was misrepresented. It took them more than a week to resolve it.

Since DHL delivers in 3-4 days, and systems automatically pay them after delivery

Thanks for the explanation. The above appears to be the obvious flaw in the system, and it has a simple resolution. All the Catawiki would need to do to prevent such scams is to require confirmation from the winner of the auction that the item was in fact received.

I recently won a seamster 300 on catawiki, and was subjected to a different scheme. I paid with paypal immediately, then the seller wrote me he could not ship in time because he was abroad, so he would have provided a fake tracking and then he would have written me before really shipping the watch. I was sure that I could be refunded so I accepted (also because the watch was handsome), but days (and weeks) passed and he continued to provide excuses about he had problem in getting back. After three weeks I contacted catawiki and they refunded me.
The seller’s account name was McCallum and was from UK. Similarly the pics were taken on a white desk.

So sadly so far they are still acting like this is not a scam and I've been informed that they are going to wait until December 1st and wait a reply from the "seller"

They didn't even call DHL, anyone can call DHL with a tracking number and get a more detailed version of the information that is public with the tracking ...

So far they've further made things worse ...