Forums Latest Members

A Little Potted History Of The Memovox & My Recently Acquired Cal 911

1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 25, 2015

Is there a good website on Memovox history. Styles, models, etc?

2. lenny Jun 25, 2015

Aside from this thread, this is the only other thing I have found online -->http://forums.timezone.com/pdf.php?th=997
    .Other than that, you sort of piece things together by googling about different models.

Outside of the web, there is Zaf Basha's JLC history book, which has a decent section on memovox(i?). It can be ordered from classicwatch.com.

Loupe and i20rider like this.
  3. NT931 Jun 25, 2015

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 25, 2015

Eve, Retsamaes and Taddyangle like this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 25, 2015

Thanks.

6. NT931 Jun 25, 2015

OMG :eek: The perils of reading forums on a small iPhone screen! Didn't page backwards... ::facepalm1::

tommymcd likes this.
  7. i20rider Jun 27, 2015

Alot of good info. I would love to get my hands on another JLC alarm. Would like to keep it under $100 though.

8. Hijak Jun 28, 2015

I would say that'll never happen...but you've already proved it possible!:cool:

i20rider likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Jun 28, 2015

Does lightning strike twice in the same place?

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 28, 2015

Yes, all the time. Never got that one.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 28, 2015

Ask a golfer. They stand outside holding metal lightning rods over their heads. Sometimes wearing metal spikes, too.

Never got that one either.
    gatorcpa

Darlinboy likes this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 30, 2015

Since this thread has some good Memovox info, thought I would add to it with a couple more pics. This one is a caliber 910, and the monocoque case in which it resides. So many variations....
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Edited Jun 30, 2015
    SpikiSpikester and i20rider like this.
  13. AlexanderK Nov 18, 2015

Hi everyone, i'm new right here, great discussion, thanks in advance for all of this.
    I would like to ask you some advice about this pink gold Memovox i just found.
    The seller told me it's a 1958 Cal.815, i think the crowns may have been replaced, may be even the dial, but i'm no expert. Can you guys evaluate a price for this one?
    Here some photos:

jlcmemovox_01.jpg
    jlcmemovox_03.jpg jlcmemovox_02.jpg

Thanks

Warthog, davidswiss and aap like this.
  14. Lateralg Mar 6, 2016

This discussion has been extremely helpful to me. I bought a Jaeger leCoultre Memovox today and now know that it is a caliber 911 but I can't find any examples on the internet that look like my watch in the attached photo. Has anyone seen an antimagnetic Memovox/Memodate before? I would like to make sure I don't have a Frankenwatch before I invest any more money into it. The watch face looks like it used to have hour indicators around the outside. The watch runs and keeps good time, so I have hopes of a little restoration and a lot of wearing it in the future. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpeg
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 6, 2016

I would say that you have a hideous re-dial :(

It may be worth restoring if you can find original dials but.........

SpikiSpikester and Lateralg like this.
  16. Lateralg Mar 6, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Hoping to hear better news.....

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 7, 2016

This watch looks to be from just before the "JL" logo was adopted. Note that it is not on the dial, which I believe to be original.

Unsigned crowns were likely correct for your watch, but not for most.

Full gold versions are very expensive. The market in these moves rapidly and my info is probably way out of date.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

18. Norfolk Apr 8, 2020

I am in the process of putting together a basic entry on the JLC Memovox on Chronopedia.club. Here is the basic page....

https://chronopedia.club/Jaeger_LeCoultre_Memovox

If anyone here would like to assist with the JLC part of the project with contents, pics etc or take it over (!) please email [email protected] and an account will be set up with editing rights. Many thanks.

scapa likes this.
  19. TimeODanaos Jan 1, 2021

For New Year, I wanted to use respectful partial disagreement with this assertion in the excellent OP article (for which thanks to its author) to bump this interesting thread back up where it deserves.

As I've said elsewhere, 1970s was the decade that style forgot, and I should know because I was there. TV and spaceman cases are emphatically not my thing, and I struggle to love even a JLC wearing such clobber - like seeing Catherine Deneuve in platform sandals. Scarred by the 1970s aesthetic, I am not a great judge of it. But nevertheless my personal experience is that the only piece that has ever attracted both immediate unprompted curiosity from my daughter, and unfeigned professional enthusiasm from my watchmaker, is this one.

The Snowdrop.
    65.jpg

JLC Memovox ref. E877 with cal 916 Speedbeat movement, from about 1970. Frosted finish on one-piece case.

66.jpg

Looks beautiful in natural light - it's almost enough to snap me out of my usual crusty conservative look.

67.jpg

Maybe we make an odd couple, but in the blue dial/ss case execution, I absolutely love it. :rolleyes:

Any other fans out there?

Edited Jul 23, 2022
    DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. tommymcd Dec 5, 2023

The OP dial is re-finished, no? Some of the letters and tick marks look rather inconsistent, and too "human hands-y"

Asking because I'm studying a very similar model, but with date at 6 o'clock (which I believe is still genuine, just rarer)

Would appreciate any and all observations on this watch. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]