Forums Latest Members
  1. THE_BARCODE_GUY Feb 1, 2017

I wasn't even really looking to purchase a vintage watch, but have a lot of down time with my job so I obsessively surf watch sales forums as a hobby. When I saw this watch for what I felt was a good price on a flyer (could be legit, could be franken) I went for it. All I knew was how it looked from the exterior and that it was a "jumbo" so measured 36mm without the crown.

Took it to my local watchsmith and had him open it up and, thankfully, everything matches. He said it appears to be all original, however the blue seconds hand seems too modern to me? He checked it's timekeeping and it registered +5s/d which I'm more than happy with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So what do the experts think? Did I get a decent watch? What would you figure an approximate value is knowing it's #s matching?

Steve cawthorne and ossfm like this.
  2. François Pépin Feb 1, 2017

Do you have a pic of the inside of the case back?

I am under the impression that the case may be to large for the movement: too much space between the movement and the holding ring - but it may be because of the pic.

3. Bumper Feb 1, 2017

That looks more like a case reference 2640, @ 36mm case size.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 1, 2017

While I don't think there is a consensus on the issue, I believe many collectors use the the term "jumbo" with cal. 30 based watches housed in 38mm diameter cases.

5. Don Madson Feb 1, 2017

Geez...looks JUST like mine, except for the numerals. I've got Roman...
    [​IMG]

6. Gordon Heavyfoot Feb 1, 2017

How in the world is it just like yours?

7. ConElPueblo Feb 2, 2017

It's true that while this ref. is 36mm which is big for the era, it isn't considered a "jumbo". A 30mm movement would have to be housed in a 37mm+ case in order to be labelled as a jumbo... It's a bit like the "pie-pan" moniker which in Omega-speak denotes a twelve-sided dial with sharp edges while collectors of other brands might think of something different. This appears to be a Rolex pie pan dial, for instance:

[​IMG]

Bumper likes this.
  8. Don Madson Feb 2, 2017

You're right... I'm over - enthusiastic. I really meant that there were some superficial similarities. Forgive my two-hasty reply.

9. Don Madson Feb 2, 2017

Too-hasty.