A little advice required please

Good morning, I have recently found an Omega watch stuffed in behind a set of wooden drawers that we purchased some years ago!, it was taped to the underside of a mahogany unit. We have owned the drawers for over 10 years approx, but never thought to investigate as to why the top middle drawer would not close correctly!, yesterday we were disposing of the drawers to the waste tip, and when I removed the drawer to make it lighter to throw into the trailer I noticed the watch!, if at all possible, could anyone forward any advise or valuation please, kind regard

wager a guess an early 60's, 5xx movement, but you'll need to open it to be sure...

great story, glad you didn't toss it.

Worth checking if that’s solid gold, or gold filled. Same goes for the bracelet. Are there any marks on the claps of the strap, and/or any marks on the case (perhaps between the lugs) ?

Looks like a unishell case so don’t try and open the back - there isn’t one. Everything is removed from the front.

It could be solid gold or gold filled. On the case at 6 and 12 there may be “gold filled” stamped. See if you can see.

Given the above I’d suggest you take it to a local watchmaker to remove the movement so you can take photos of the movement and inside of the case where the reference numbers are. This will confirm the reference number and gold content

Looks like a unishell case so don’t try and open the back - there isn’t one. Everything is removed from the front.

It also appears to be solid gold.

Given the above I’d suggest you take it to a local watchmaker to remove the movement so you can take photos of the movement and inside of the case where the reference numbers are. This will confirm the reference number and gold content

These can be misleading. I bought mine thinking it was probably solid gold, and, erm, it wasn’t 😲. The truth lies between the lugs.

Edited:

Regardless of whether it’s gold or not what a great find. I’m fascinated as to why someone would tape the watch to the unit.

Absolutely! There's definitely a story to tell here… fabulous find. Do post what you find out here!

These can be misleading. I bought mine thinking it was probably solid gold, and, erm, it wasn’t 😲. The truth lies between the lugs.

Agree. I think I edited while you were posting.

from zooming in on the photo, it doesn't look like the mesh bracelet is gold. You can see some of the gold plating has faded away and the stainless steel is exposed.

Pretty cool story though and looking forward to the updated.

Tracks with my uncle’s tail of whoa!

If it was a green chifferobe then thanks for finding his watch.

he got tossed by his future ex a few times and always said he hid a few things! The last time, there was no return.

Just say, it was stolen then hidden and something prevented the tealeaf getting it back, then it remains stolen property and belongs to the proper owner if he can provide proof. Now it is for all to see on eBay, ...maybe just maybe there will be more to this story. Nice watch anyway and you did get a good response from the forum did you not?

We have owned the drawers for over 10 years approx...
But Gordo, have you owned the watch? Just a little limbering-up exercise for anyone here looking forward to Monday and practising Scottish law for another week...

No wonder people on the forum get pissed off with passers-by looking for valuations. No great hassle is it to say thanks.