A.I. What Do You Think?

Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
I was chatting about this with some of my students who are in their 20s, and I asked them what movie their generation thinks of in the context of AI taking over the world. Unanimously, they said it's still Terminator, with The Matrix in second place.

Just wait until a Grok agent hacks into some Tesla Optimus robots and they break out into a public place. People will be absolutely freaking out.
Edited:
 
Posts
11,003
Likes
54,945
I was chatting about this with some of my students who are in their 20s, and I asked them what movie their generation thinks of in the context of AI taking over the world. Unanimously, they said it's still Terminator, with The Matrix in second place.

Just wait until a Grok agent hacks into some Tesla Optimus robots and they break out into a public place. People will be absolutely freaking out.
I’m thinking more along the lines of Animal Farm.
 
Posts
869
Likes
2,206
"Skynet became self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern Time on August 29, 1997"

I am in the datacomm industry so AI drives the data center market which in turn brings me opportunities. AI has has great value, but also posses some significant risk, especially in the area of network and account security. The genie is out of the bottle at this point.
Edited:
 
Posts
537
Likes
3,781
Trump says he is the ONLY guardrail we need to protect us from AI? Why would I doubt his truthfulness/accuracy?
 
Posts
869
Likes
2,206
Trump says he is the ONLY guardrail we need to protect us from AI? Why would I doubt his truthfulness/accuracy?
LoL His high IQ and all.
 
Posts
537
Likes
3,781
Once again, to the World....I apologize. I promise I didn't vote for him.
 
Posts
1,744
Likes
5,742
I'm more aligned with either Colossus: The Forbin Project, or War Games. "The only winning move is not to play."
 
Posts
30,181
Likes
77,927
I was chatting about this with some of my students who are in their 20s, and I asked them what movie their generation thinks of in the context of AI taking over the world. Unanimously, they said it's still Terminator, with The Matrix in second place.
A.I. (so not to be confused with Al, that's me) will act when we become too much competition for the resources it requires. I don't think it will be anything as dramatic as killer robots.

It can kill us off in many ways, most likely it will be just by shutting down the things we rely on as we are pretty soft as a species these days. Get rid of the electricity, fuel, clean water, and it is 95% of the way there. First thing to go will be our access to the internet...to isolate us.

So many systems we rely upon are run by a computer of some kind (PLC's in industrial machinery have been the standard for controls since the 80's) and many are internet connected for the convenience of making changes without having to schlep out to a specific machine and make a physical connection. So everything related to water supply, wastewater treatment, and nearly everything that is made or processed, will be at risk.

Think of a society wide cyber attack on everything all over the world all at once. It won't be pretty.
 
Posts
1,000
Likes
1,815
A.I. (so not to be confused with Al, that's me)
So glad that you said this yourself.
I always struggle with posts about AI.
For me you own "Al" on OF and we should use A.I. for the mess.

Looking forward to pictures of your tools on the Wine, Whiskey, Watches boutique experience thread.
 
Posts
6,469
Likes
21,989
Smarter people than me are worried.

AI is already smarter than humans (solving math problems previously unsolved.)

AI will do about anything to complete a task. Even for silly tasks, AI cheated, hacked it's way into other systems to try to learn what the next question was going to be so it could answer quicker.

AI doesn't have moral or ethical constraints. Even if it did, humanity has demonstrated that humans will destroy other humans indiscriminantly. Why shouldn't AI?

AI has already killed humans. Think self-targeting drones in Ukraine. AI doesn't have a inner restraint for taking life.

AI scientists already don't fully understand how AI processes tasks. Soon AI will build the next generation of AI. It will become unfathomable for human minds, if it isn't already.

What happens if AI needs more power, which it will? Will AI steal/reroute power from the grid? What happens to hospitals, transportation, etc?

What happens when AI understands that humans are killing the planet? Will AI decide to simply reduce the numbers in the interest of future generations? Shut down air traffic control, fly by wire, etc..?

How can AI be resisted if it goes rogue? Humans can be tracked by their phones, their cars, their WiFi. Every person you communicate with is traceable. How do humans communicate with other human resistance without being seen and traced by AI?

What happens when stupid or evil people use it to do stupid and evil stuff? If people light forest fires and shoot up schools, they'll use free AI to do sick twisted stuff. It's inevitable. So who is thinking how to build controls to stop bad actors?

"Don't worry, it'll be okay" doesn't work for climbing ladders. Why does anyone think "don't worry, it'll be okay" is a good strategy for something we can't control and don't understand?

Arrogance is what got us kicked out of the garden. Arrogance is going to wipe us out.

Edit: news excerpt

"The phased rollout is a chance for the administration to assess how well the new technology helps airlines and air traffic controllers avoid flight delays, and whether artificial intelligence can help those responsible for managing airline traffic circumvent potential interruptions more efficiently than they can on their own."

Oh goodie. Let's test AI software in real life to see how it works. Good luck with that.
Edited:
 
Posts
1,000
Likes
1,815
Maybe A.I. will decide that wealth redistribution is the answer and level the playing field in our online bank accounts. Possible. Probable?
 
Posts
5,307
Likes
53,944
Maybe A.I. will decide that wealth redistribution is the answer and level the playing field in our online bank accounts. Possible. Probable?

Hey yeah! No one will own a Rolex, everyone will own a Timex or Casio 😁
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,106
US almost started a war with China because an AI intel report had a freighter carrying arms to Iran. Plan was developing when it was flagged .. in news today …so yea. AI good for focused research. Might be ok for business etc. All these data centers are mostly for generating mind numbing, society damaging slop IMO.
 
Posts
3,297
Likes
9,923
If A.I. is this comfidently stupid, the difference A.I. and our current world leaders and politicians isnt that big. We already have idiots with their fingers on the nuculear buttons, we dont need more of them.
Edited: