Forums Latest Members
  1. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 27, 2016

...because they could have been bloody ripped off and "seller x" got away with it?

If this was a 10k car we were talking about that his parents got second hand for the killer price of 3000 we would not be having this conversation it (the car) could be sold "serviced with MOT tax excellent vintage well cared for 1000m on counter! and etc etc" but in reality it's a death trap a stolen car that was crashed to near right off that was bodged back together and may kill him...

Ok so his dodgy fake watch is not gonna kill him anytime soon BUT... it is stolen... it is stolen! IT IS STOLEN!

If fake Cellini friend wearing friend said "hey my parents just bought this watch for £1000 it was off my dad's dodgy mate that picks up loads of dodgy stolen gear all the time and lets say it was a brand new Cellini 50519 and it was REAL (but stolen) would you tell him he should report it?

would you tell him you would report it? Would you report it if later you saw a fellow of member post:
    "My Cellini ref. 50519 Stolen"
    Hi fellow of members i would like to report the theft of my 50519 ref Rolex Cellini, it was stolen two months ago in the area of "wherever quite close to fake cellini mates house" I would have posted earlier but i have been in hospital for 6 weeks with a fractured skull and have been in and out every day since.
    My elderly father has been in hospital as he is in a critical condition having suffered a stab wound to the stomach.. its ok he looks like he is going to make it because the infection is clearing up...
    If anyone is offered this watch for sale please report to the police immediately! they are "on the case" but, in their own words, these cases are very rarely solved and stolen property is rarely recovered.
    the worst thing is i only had the watch for one day the day after my 30th birthday.. and had not yet had it insured. It was my gift from my beloved father..
    Update on my father unfortunately he died of his injury, the watch was the last thing he ever gave me. but more importantly it could be the most viable way to trace and catch my father's killers...

Oh!... you say! but your taking it out of context!
    Kostas you are blowing this right out of proportion! dont be silly!
    Its only an innocent FAKE Cellini

Bar the aforementioned reasons, (my last response aimed more at justification if indeed they were ripped off..)

there is funding ORGANISED CRIME! fake watches ARE organised crime..

Do you think the factory employers that make fake rolexes pay fair wages?
    Do you think the employees have a good work environment?
    Do you think fake Cellini manufacturers pay sales taxes?
    Do you think the seller of the fake Cellini watch only sells fake Cellini's? Stolen property? maybe cocaine too? weed? pills? (bet he doesn't pay his taxes)
    Do you think his dealers sells heroin too? (no taxes)
    Do you think the heroin dealer maybe pimps out smack heads that can't pay for heroin?
    Do you think some of them are children, underage?
    Do you think he realised he could make a bit extra selling DVD's of "the dumb smack'ed bitches gettin rapped"
    Do you think he owns a gun for protection?
    Do you think he ever uses it?
    (maybe worst of all) you know when inocent normal watch sites like "bobs.vintage.watches.com" gets "hack redirects" to shitty fake watch sites? do you know he will not find out for MONTHS or until he randomly for no reason at all feels like he needs to flush his DNS.. or someone tells him..

would you tell him now?

would you tell him if you knew he broke the law?..

It is against the law to sell counterfeit goods but it is not against the law to UNKNOWINGLY buy or be in possession of such goods. The key is in the subjective element of unknowingly buying counterfeit goods. If you knowingly buy counterfeit goods then yes that is illegal.

Edited Nov 27, 2016
    Larry S, Dmaskeze and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  2. Dmaskeze Nov 27, 2016

I work in a well known Pawnbrokers... it's amazing the amount of people who come in with a watch, expecting a lot of money for it... i've had people with a "Michael Kors", "Gucci", "GUESS" etc etc and many other brands similar. They aren't worth what they want for it... "oh I paid £200 for it, so I guess £150?"...well that's your fault then isn't it...it's not exactly a prestigious well made timepiece, it's a fashion accessory with some crappy movement put in it, so it's worth about oooh, I dunno...£30 maybe...I had a chap the other day with a Submariner, saying it was bequeathed to him, but wanted rid... well, it was the most awful fake I have seen. The Magnifier was on the wonk, the lume pip was wrong, and the bracelet was hollow and wrong, and was sorry to have to break the news to him...but he didn't really mind...just accepted it, and said "hmm, thought as much"

3. Dmaskeze Nov 27, 2016

We have to look for stuff like this where I work.... you have to be so careful

4. Dmaskeze Nov 27, 2016

Shhh...:p haha

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 27, 2016

I have no use for the dick who is parading a fake Rolex around thinking he's impressing the world with his wealth.

But I don't call them out because there's also the guys who've paid many thousands of dollars for their dream watch, only to get burned....I don't have the heart to be the one to pop that bubble!

A watchmaker I know had someone bring their new pride and joy into his shop to get the band adjusted, it was a very very good copy of a Rolex and the guy had dropped six or seven grand via an internet dealer thinking he was getting a good deal on a ten thousand dollar dream watch he really couldn't afford. He'd saved for many years to buy the damn thing and been burned. I sure wouldn't want to have been the guy to break him that bit of news.

The watchmaker, on the other hand, likely enjoyed it.... he's a bit of a jerk that way.

Actually, thinking about it.... he's a huge jerk...... so he likely loved it.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. Kofosu Nov 27, 2016

I went from thinking replicas were cool (as a kid), to villainous in my middle age. As I become more grey and scraggly I care less and less and see the makers and wearers as completely missing the point of what makes a quality watch great.

Fritz and Jaacck like this.
  7. ulackfocus Nov 27, 2016

Sorry to say this, but that guy got EXACTLY what he deserved. His greed for a deal on a watch he coveted put him in the shitty spot he's in with a fake he paid thousands for. 2 deadly sins - greed and lust, maybe with a little pride thrown in - were his downfall.

tyrantlizardrex and Fritz like this.
  8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 27, 2016

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. He simply couldn't wait till he had the money to buy it from an actual dealer, so he bought the deal online. I would add a good dose of naive or more honestly stupid to the mix.

It was, after all, brand new and factory fresh in its original sealed box will all papers and all the promises that go with that line of crap. What could go wrong? I'm sure everybody on the web is honest and upstanding. right? or is there really one born every minute.

So. should I be worried about that cal.321 Speedy I just bought on the 'bay.... the one with "To Elvis love Priscilla" engraved on the back.

9. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2016

hi everyone
    I posted the below story before... but this happened at a new soft of job... ( Extensis bought Diamondsoft ) I was the only sales guy from Diamondsoft to survive the acquisition.

on to the story ...

I have a fake outing story...... I just starting working for a software company in Portland, Or. I flew out for a sales team meeting. We all went out for lunch the first day. My new boss at lunch started to talk about watches... He then grabbed my wrist looks down at my Watch and says.... In a loud voice the entire table heard. " Nice fake Explorer , you got there Bill" ? My reply " Really?, wow I got this watch 20 years ago and never knew that thanks".

His reply , it's real ? I said yes it's real .

Once we got back to the office , I went to his office and gave him a copy of a magazine article that was written about my collection .... Told him don't play the lottery today. You picked the wrong guy about a fake watch.

That happened more 12 years ago..

Good hunting

Bill Sohne

machamp6650, Rman, Dmaskeze and 9 others like this.
  10. Edward53 Nov 27, 2016

What do you mean, "almost"?!
    I've had similar situations a few times with other much-faked collectables that I know my way around. I don't say the fake is "nice", I simply hand it back with "Thanks for showing me this" or some such disclaimer. I'll usually make an exception for my friends or if I think the person deserves to know the truth for whatever reason, but Joe Public often can't cope without getting agitated, goes into denial and can get morose, unfriendly or even quite angry with the messenger. Since I'm not going to bust the fake industry by telling them I mostly leave them in blissful ignorance.

ulackfocus likes this.
  11. jimmyd13 Nov 27, 2016

Watches are quite a thing in some of the circles I work in. Speedmasters are more common than Timex but when I saw a QA manager flashing his fake TAG open heart to all and sundry ... just made me be certain never to trust a word that came out of the guy's mouth. Circumstances later confirmed that opinion.

Dmaskeze likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 27, 2016

I was going to say no one likes being the person to break the bad news (I hate having to do it), but given this story and some other comments here, I guess some people do enjoy it...

Fritz likes this.
  13. chunkythebulldog Nov 27, 2016

Never called anybody out for having a fake but called my boss out for buying a real Hublot Big Bang ::puke::

STANDY, ulackfocus and Taddyangle like this.
  14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 27, 2016

yeah, there's some weird people out there.... some who enjoy making other suffer..... like Hublot & Invicta!

The VP at my place of employment is saving for one of those as well..... Via a large amount of slagging and abuse I believe I've almost talked him out of it.

15. ac106 Nov 27, 2016

I think you need a xanax

16. watchdaddy1 Nov 27, 2016

I would of told him or @ least told him to get it authenticated or looked @

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap

17. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 27, 2016

nah this is bulshit the more i think about it the more it annoys me..

are fake watches fine? thread, on OF.. i expected better. Silence is golden> bullshit. duct tape is silver > its grey

replica watch business is silver and gold... and should be black and white for that matter.

18. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 27, 2016

fuel for the fire: I read in a watch magazine recently (Watch Time I think) that the Swiss made 30 million watches last year.

And there were 40 million knock-offs made.

So faking it is bigger business than the real thing!

I think I had a girl friend that operated that way actually.....

Jwit and flw like this.
  19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 27, 2016

isn't that the knock off Timex company......

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 27, 2016

Don't 50% of the threads in the modern omega forum Fit that category?

FullyWound likes this.