Forums Latest Members
  1. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

Hi All,

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this (attached) 69 Speedy and wanted the knowlodgeable pros to bless it.
    It's being offered at a lower price than what I have seen 69's go for. But there are a few things that I am not sure of.

- First off the seller is out of Ecuador.
    - The dial is not the best but everything seems original to the watch excepting for the chrono hand which looks like a newer replacement. Nice correct bezel.
    - The movement looks dirty.
    - Case seems a bit polished.
    - Nice crisp case back 69Speedy_01.jpg 69Speedy_02.jpg 69Speedy_03.jpg 69Speedy_04.jpg 69Speedy_05.jpg

YES or NO.

Thanks in advance.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2015

There appears to be a lot of corrosion in the movement, and pitting on the case back. Personally not good enough shape for me just based on the movement photo...

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 26, 2015

How much is price? Is this through Ebay or Paypal to have some buyer protection? The DON bezel is the best part of the watch. Not too many 145.022-69 still have them attached.

4. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

Thanks Archer and Gemini4

It's being offered at sub 2K but through watchnet.com and offer 100% refund minus shipping.
    I can live the pitting on the case back... question is can the movement be cleaned and serviced to get rid of the corrosion?

5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2015

That's if the guy doesn't disappear before the refund can be given.

Recently there has been a lot of vintage Speedys coming out of Latin America, I would be vary cautious on these.

Send money though PayPal via credit card and DO NOT DO A BANK TRANSFER! That money is not claimable once sent, if they don't take PP I wouldn't buy at all.

stef2010 likes this.
  6. lwong May 26, 2015

Ditto that, and the pattern is consistent too (for the moment at least) - always sub 2k pricing.

7. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

I think I am going to stay clear of this one.
    Thanks DLT222 and Iwong.

You know as the saying goes:
    If the deal is too good to be true... then it's not true!

That Bezel is sure nice!

8. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

I wrote to the guy earlier this morning before I posted here... this is what he replied to my questions below.

Hi, yes the omega cal 861 is availbale, the chrono is original condition all parts, yes some details but run properly
    I offer insurance for payment paypal and shipment with ups. If interestef let me know you offer

My questions were
    I am writing in regards to the Omega Speedmaster 861 Ref 145022-69ST you have for sale on watchnet.com.

I had a few questions.

1. Is the watch still available?
    2. Has the chrono hand been replaced?
    3. The movement looks to have some corrosion. Can you confirm?
    4. Do you offer insurance?

Do let me know when you get a moment.
    Thank you

9. ewand May 26, 2015

10. faid2black May 26, 2015

the guy's a fraud. he's using other people's images (probably watches sold some time ago) and using accounts from ecuador, peru and argentina. don't even respond to him

11. TNTwatch May 26, 2015

faid2black likes this.
  12. faid2black May 26, 2015

exif data on his posted images show they were taken 4/25/2010. there you go

Tjmmartin and TNTwatch like this.
  13. Mothra May 26, 2015

You know deep down it's wrong... If it quacks like a suspicious duck.... Rightly or wrongly there are some parts of the world you have to be twice as careful with....

ewand likes this.
  14. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

This is CRAZY and such a WASTE of time!
    Why can't the vintage watch world just be for people who are in for the love of these timeless mechanical wonders... instead of people like these lurking in the shadows waiting to ruin it for people like us.

Thank you faid2black and the rest of the folks for calling this guys out!
    This is what makes these forums great!
    Be careful out there!

faid2black likes this.
  15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 26, 2015

Where there is money comes crime - the worst part is the victims are usually ones who can least afford it :(

E-diddy likes this.
  16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2015

Yes your right George. Most saw the thread from the guy in India who had 5k taken.

All we can do as mods is give the following advice:

1: DUE-DILIGENCE - if your unsure of any member on here or any other forum please don't be afraid to ask, no one is going to bash you for asking.

2: SEARCHING: Trawl the net looking for rough sold prices or examples that are for sale to get a rough price guide.

3: PAYPAL: I cannot stress enough about the risks of sending a bank wire to someone you have never heard of in your life. PayPal will give you seller protection and if you pay with a credit card so will your card company. You will need to agree on fees etc but far more safer!

ANYTHING THAT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE GENERALLY IS! DONT BECOME A VICTIM!

Since the 200 post count has been introduced the sales sections are a safer place for us all, even if some people don't like the post rules they are there for the greater good!

D

17. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

Very Well put DLT222.
    Thanks

18. tictictictoc May 26, 2015

I did not know of the 200 post count thing... no wonder I got this msg when I was planning to sell couple of my omegas (YOU HAVE INSUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES TO POST HERE.)

19. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 27, 2015

@tictictictoc if you have any solid references we will allow access.

20. Nactex May 27, 2015

Watchnet has pulled all of his listings.