Forums Latest Members

'67 Submariner 5513 - how much polishing is "too much"?

1. Kiwibloke Apr 8, 2022

Hi OF

This 5513 has popped up locally and hoping for thoughts from folk with far more experienced eyes than mine. Have only just started thinking about adding a vintage no-date subbie so not well prepared yet, but believe (from the pics available) this has original dial, hands and bezel and the lume looks nicely aged and consistent.

Rolex-1967-Vintage-Submariner-5513132411-6_2000x.jpg.jpeg

Concern is how much polishing the case has seen - some is certainly fine, but I don't want a watch that would immediately be seen as "over-polished". Any thoughts would be much appreciated ahead of a look at the watch 'in the flesh'.
    Rolex-1967-Vintage-Submariner-5513132413-6_2000x.jpg.jpeg Rolex-1967-Vintage-Submariner-5513132412-6_2000x.jpg.jpeg Rolex-1967-Vintage-Submariner-5513132415-6_2000x.jpg.jpeg

Thanks as always,
    Martin

Thommas and befobe like this.
  2. TheGreekPhysique Apr 8, 2022

It’s hard to give feedback as “over polished” is subjective and ultimately up to you to decide what is within your tolerance. The case for sure has seen a polish. I would say it appears from the pics to have had someone attempt to refinish the case as the newly made bevels are close to the hole of the drilled lugs but could be just the angle. Crown guards look thick so maybe metal was also added back on during this restore process. Let’s see what more knowledgeable collectors think.

effovex and Fedoclock like this.
  3. Dan S Apr 8, 2022

Definitely has seen significant polishing on the lugs, as evidence in looking at the shapes of the lug holes. Otherwise it's a nice looking meters-first, and has the correct long-5 insert. So there's enough upside on this watch to consider having the case restored if that's something you'd consider. Depends on the asking price as always.

I sometimes wonder how to respond to threads like these. If someone can't tell whether a watch is over-polished, maybe they shouldn't worry about it.

4. Kiwibloke Apr 8, 2022

Hi Dan - I hear you and absolutely understand the sentiment (you have helped me out before :)...) Guess what I'm asking is how knowledgable collectors see the case as - while you buy a watch with intention of taking it to your grave - things can change and maybe you have to sell and suddenly something that was fine for you, isn't fine for others. Just trying to do the research and thinking...
    Thanks and cheers,
    Martin

vintage hab likes this.
  5. Dan S Apr 8, 2022

I would like to see better photos, especially of that 1 o'clock lug hole, but my initial response is that the buffing wheel has done enough damage to the case that it would bother me. However, the rest of the watch looks really nice, and if I could get the watch at a good price, I might consider having the case restored. Obviously, a watch with a restored case is never as desirable from a collectible perspective, but they can look very good and be enjoyable to wear.

Kiwibloke likes this.
  6. ATWG Apr 8, 2022

I would not purchase this watch based on the handful of provided pictures above. The case has most definitely been polished and the hands look like they've been re-lumed. I would need to see serial between the lugs as well as caseback stamp.

Good luck!

Fedoclock and Larry S like this.
  7. Davidt Apr 9, 2022

Agree. With w case that’s seen that much polishing I think it’s unlikely the hand and dial lume aged to such a consistent, uniform look so likely relumed

8. ATWG Apr 9, 2022

9. Dan S Apr 9, 2022

Since this should be a zinc sulfide dial, it may be straightforward to evaluate the lume using a black light. Hands and dial should respond strongly and consistently to UV.

10. Kiwibloke Apr 9, 2022

Thanks all for your comments - certainly add up to giving this one a big pass on the case alone - but I'll check out the lume for interest... what this has done though is ignite real interest in finding a good example... :thumbsup:

11. Fallout Boy Apr 9, 2022

I would always stare at the (serviced?) lume dot (pearl) on the bezel....which doesn't really fit to the rest....

12. Slevin kelevra Apr 9, 2022

Definitely seen too much polishing in my opinion. In the world of vintage Rolex, that seriously devalues the watch.

D989A268-2323-4D8A-88DD-F864FF1375FB.jpeg
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 10, 2022

The polishing here is horrendous … I also agree the hands are redone. I couldn’t buy this watch at any price.

Edited Apr 10, 2022
    cristos71 likes this.
  14. johnireland May 18, 2022

I think it is a great looking watch. Polished schmolished...one of my favorite watches had been so polished over the years and looked like well worn ship's navigation instrument. I've never been attracted to "collector" pieces that look brand new. If it feels and looks good on the wrist, and the price is right, and you are really drawn to it...just buy it and wear it and enjoy it. That's how vintage watches became popular. That is a great looking sub and needs no apologies.

hansaboy, High Hope and jaguar11 like this.
  15. nkhandekar May 20, 2022

Considering the quality of repair options available to damaged cases now, I would not hesitate to have the case restored if the price were right. Its not as if these are rare watches, just expensive.

16. Ron_W May 20, 2022

Are the original case sizes, and width/thickness of the lugs measured over the lug holes not known ? How do the known case restorers do this then when adding laser welded material ?

cristos71 likes this.
  17. Kiwibloke May 20, 2022

I had another look at this last week and it is a stunner (thought the case does blinds you with reflected light it's so polished)... but the seller remains unrealistic as to price - asking the equivalent of USD16k (compared to the nice example which came up on the forum here a few days ago for just over USD11k - albeit with a slightly later bezel insert - and was gone in a flash...)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/1968-rolex-submariner-ref-5513-‘meters-first’.145896/
    I'm still struggling to understand the prices Rolex command given how relatively numerous they are (and few are in really nice condition) - so put hand in my pocket for a SM300 Big Triangle on a rare'ish bracelet with an EoA for less money...
    12D7CB49-36A9-4F09-B4F3-81CDBECF4F05.jpeg
    tempImagexJKuMA.png

Flatfoot, OWa, southtexas and 6 others like this.
  18. Ron_W May 20, 2022

Congrats !! and what a very nice watch.

Kiwibloke likes this.
  19. johnireland May 20, 2022

With Vintage watches "Rolex" doesn't command anything...it is the seller who overvalues their watch. Some put it out for an absurd price and then slowly back track to a price they later will accept. As a vintage buyer it is up to us to realize "there is always another watch down the road" and to say "no" if we can't agree on a price. None of us will die if we don't get "that" watch.

High Hope likes this.
  20. Traveler May 20, 2022

Looks like they were trying to polish it into an Ed White shape - run away !