Forums Latest Members
  1. Panzanella May 11, 2017

Hi all,
    I am looking at purchasing a [first] vintage watch and am particularly drawn to the style of the 50's Seamasters. Admittedly, though, I don't have a clue what I am looking at/for. I have been trying to research by model name and code, but haven't been able to turn up enough to be able to compare any of what I'm finding.

This watch, for instance, is one that I am looking at. Would anyone be able to take a peak, share quick thoughts about quality and value, and then point me in the direction to continue the search?
    http://www.chrono24.com/omega/seamaster-automatic--id5509680.htm

Thanks!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 11, 2017

Way overpriced.

Dial has been refinished.

Original dial in first photo, sold by a very respected member here.

137865-46c1bb56a88d6dbc22da33b8c68b0a98.jpg

Watch from OPs link, compare the fonts and fineness of the second track as well as the condition of the hands.

5509680d_xxl.jpg

François Pépin and GregH like this.
  3. Vitezi May 11, 2017

Slooow down. What's the rush? These watches have been waiting for 70 years for you to find them. First step is to read this sticky: https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

This forum is a treasure trove of free information on 1950s Seamasters. But, you have to do some discovery work to find it. The search engine will turn up lots of threads on Seamasters. You'll want to read them all. You'll soon discover what makes for an authentic watch, and how to discern a redialed watch, a franken watch and a fake. Learn about case metals, reference numbers, calibers and hand styles. Pick up a reference book or two. Study some vintage watch ads from the 1950s. Ask lots of questions on this forum. Review the sales forums. Most of all, have patience. Armed with the knowledge you'll have gained, you'll be able to spot the right watch at the right price. Then you'll find another. And another. That's how it begins.

Edward53 and shaun hk like this.
  4. Panzanella May 11, 2017

Thank you both for your responses. These watches have baffled me so far. I have found a few things that I like, but there just seem to be so many variables that I haven't been able to grasp. While I hope that I can learn enough about dial originality, the best mechanics, case metals, over polished lugs, and so on, the reality is that right now I just know that I want one of these watches and don't want to get robbed. I have other hobbies, some of which I am on forums for where I tell new posters to search and do their own research, but I don't immediately see Omega watches as joining that list. If it is unreasonable to think that I can buy a nice watch without reaching that level of understanding, I suppose I'll have to consider that in my suitability to buy a vintage watch. I guess that is the question that I was hoping to have answered... is the level of complication one that can only be understood through a large dedication like that?

I'll continue digging around, but I would also still be very grateful for any feedback about what to be looking for with watches like this, and perhaps more examples that I can use as a basis for evaluation of what I come across.

Thanks again!

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 12, 2017

Hmmm, I think the only solution is to keep checking the sales forum here. Or be prepared to buy something that is overpriced for what it is. And accept that while it is appealing to you, most collectors would shy away from it.

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 12, 2017

I think the middle ground you are searching for is hard to find outside of the sales forum here. If someone advertises a redialed or franken watch here without disclosure the members will let everyone know about it.
    There is no such quality checks on ebay or with many dealers.

Willem023 likes this.
  7. dan7800 May 12, 2017

I really like the old Seamasters as well.

More experienced folks can chime in, but at least in my experience they are more finicky than most watches; but I guess you'd have to expect that with something so old.

8. RedPhil May 12, 2017

Hi, firstly I'm no expert - that much will become clear, I'm relatively new on here, I own only one Omega (my only decent watch actually) - a 1962 Seamaster and I had the same advice as you (and loads of others) when asking a very similar question. I tried really hard to be patient and to learn but in the end I saw a watch in an antiques market, fell in love and handed over my hard-earned. Regrets? Absolutely none, probably paid too much, almost certainly my watch wouldn't pass muster for a collector. But I love wearing it. Pretty sure it's honest, it'd take a craftsman to make something look as beat up as my watch - it shows it's history. The one thing I did make sure of when I brought it was that the movement was clean and it was keeping time well. A service and clean and I have a lovely watch IMO.
    So I'd say don't give up, you don't need encyclopedic knowledge, have a look around jewellers and antique shops - you'll know if you have a good watch in your hard and if it ends up being duff you'll be able to return. And importantly you'll know when you find your watch - the one for you.
    Online is good for people in the know, for myself much prefered spending some time real shopping.
    Good luck in your search and don't give up, your watch is out there
    Phil

9. Panzanella May 12, 2017

All very helpful responses, and thanks for the reassurance! I've been clicking around here and opening up (and comparing) most of what sticks out to me on Chrono24/other sites.

Are there any favorite versatile models/years? I really like how some of these, like what I first posted, can be dressed up and down.