Forums Latest Members

3rd watch - SM300 Trilogy or 2020 Sub?

1. pundemanila Nov 9, 2020

Hi,

i bought a railmaster trilogy earlier this year, and i am about to save up for another watch, maybe a ‘finger-crossed pickup’.

My OB has an SM300 Trilogy that hasn’t moved since 2019, so I might be able to pick it up at a good price.

Given that it looks similar to the Railmaster, am I better off saving up to hopefully pick up a 2020 Sub?

In my mind (fairly early to collecting) I was thinking to max out at 5 watches. I have a JLC Master Date, and a RM. I do intend to one day own a Speedy for sentimental reasons (my father’s birthday was the moon landing) but hopefully a new METAS one.

For a daily driver I use a G Shock (i work in a factory).

Thoughts would be appreciated! I might have to save for another year and a half, so we’ll see where things go.

But it’s amazing to dream.

Thanks guys!

Thrasher36 likes this.
  2. SkunkPrince Nov 9, 2020

Have you looked at Grand Seiko? I personally drool over the spring drive models.

pundemanila likes this.
  3. 140dave Nov 9, 2020

Pick up the 300SM Trilogy and then pick up the Trilogy Speedy later to round off the set.

Thrasher36 and Scooterino36 like this.
  4. Scooterino36 Nov 9, 2020

Seamaster 300 standard issue, final answer. Put the savings towards that Speedy.

05506EB9-AA1F-45ED-9EF7-DDBEA91461F7.jpeg
  5. Thrasher36 Nov 9, 2020

I would go Trilogy and a Submariner .....The JLC I would sell if you want a fifth watch a Seiko Spring drive Godzilla or a Seiko SLA033

Edited Nov 10, 2020
  6. pundemanila Nov 10, 2020

the speedies are always sold out in my country. If the rumours are true about the speedy metas sapphire sandwich, i wouldn’t mind saving up for that :)

7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 10, 2020

There will be millions of 2020 subs...

C70B70CA-14E7-4ECD-8FF9-C1FA95172795.jpeg

8. zwjk Nov 10, 2020

I would go for the Sub. The Railmaster is a bit too similar to the Seamaster to me.

pundemanila likes this.
  9. pundemanila Nov 10, 2020

I have that concern too, but the bi directional countdown bezel is a thing of beauty as well

10. stevec14 Nov 10, 2020

You could try a black bay 58, but if your rolex itch needs scratching go for the sub. The saving on the BB would allow you to purchase the speedy near enough

Thrasher36 likes this.
  11. ClaudeR Nov 10, 2020

If you didn’t have the RM I’d say the SM Trilogy, but whilst quite different I think they have too much in common (unless you want to someday have all 3)

I’d either sell the RM and go with SM and something else of your fancy, or get the Sub (an icon onyo itself)

12. Alfista88 Nov 10, 2020

I'd wait for a few months to see if you like the new 3861 standard edition Speedmaster. Or just purchase the 1861 hesalite Speedy Pro now, if you're not concerned about magnetism. It sounds like your long-term goal is to build a diverse collection. Within a max quota of 5 watches, the Railmaster and Seamaster 60th anniversary are too similar.

I had a SM 60th, and sold it because it was too blingy. I even satin-brushed the sidelinks on the trilogy bracelet, but that mirror-shine polishing on the flat metal ring inside the dive bezel was still blinding & distracting people in conference rooms at the office, or me while I'm driving on a sunny day. I also didn't like the rotor-spin noise on the 8806 movement. Lastly, when the bracelet was equipped, the Seamaster 60th felt heavier than a Sea Dweller. But I gather the bracelet weight won't factor into your decision making if you're enjoying wearing the Railmaster on bracelet?

On the plus side though, the dial & case dimensions on all Triology watches are excellent! The handsets are in perfect proportion with the hour markers and dial diameter, and I love the minimalist printing. The pumpkin colored lume is also great for autumn.

But you already get these benefits on the Railmaster (plus that gorgeously shaped dome sapphire crystal). I later learned that I much prefer the curved bezel design on the RM, because it's not as distracting/blingy as that mirror-polished flat ring on the SM. If only Omega made that shiny ring smaller, and increased the width of the aluminum dive bezel...

My personal preference for what to get next, given you already own the RM and JLC Master Control:
    1) A 1861 hesalite Speedmaster. It can be easily converted to a display caseback, if the standard back's protruding hippocampus causes wrist irritation, or if you prefer to see the movement.

2) The upcoming 3861 Speedmaster.

3) Either the 116 or 126 Submariner. The bezel action on Subs feel really different from Seamasters. Definitely try it out if you haven't already yet done so! I won't be returning to Seamasters, until Omega improves the bezel click 'feel'.

4) Glashutte Original SeaQ 39.5. Priced closer to the Sub than the SM triology, and it's a much more compact package than either the Rolex or Omega. A good mix of features between the 2. You get chamfering and alternating finishes across different levels the case height, ceramic bezel, domed sapphire crystal. The primary downside for me would be the polished center link on the bracelet, but that can be easily brushed by a local watchmaker.

Have fun growing your collection!

13. Scooterino36 Nov 10, 2020

Seamaster 300MC standard issue solves this problem ;)

softwareurchin and gpstar like this.
  14. pundemanila Nov 11, 2020

Thanks for the advice!

15. Al22 Nov 11, 2020

I had the sm 300 triology too. I sold the watch for the same reasons. Just to blinky for my taste.The rest of the watch was great.

I had the chance to try the Sea q 39,5 in Dresden Germany at a Glasshuette boutique. It's definitely my next watch. Its top notch. When you hear how much work the do by hand. Just a amazing watch. The offered my to visit the manufacture after Covid. I will definitely do it. I live in Germany :)
    You have to see the Sea Q on person, pictures don't justify it

I was blown away and it was not on my radar

PXL_20201015_111312333.jpg PXL_20201016_090146122.jpg
    Alfista88, pundemanila and mz_cle like this.
  16. Alfista88 Nov 12, 2020

Wow, both of those look really good in your real-life photos, even under plastic wrap! Thanks for sharing those.

I really like the shape of the counterweight of those SeaQ's sweeping seconds hand... I miss the handset on the 1st generation Planet Ocean, where Omega's design team made a clear effort to do something interesting to balance out the seconds hand from end-to-end.

Hope you get to take that tour once they're open back up to the public again. In the meantime, I guess this is the closest all of us around the world can get to that experience, haha:

17. jzzmusician Nov 12, 2020

Seamaster for sure.

3rdstringholder and pundemanila like this.