36mm Bond (or pre-Bond) Seamaster

Omigos,

I’m thinking here about, say, the 2223.80 or 2561.80 or really any of the 36mm “midsize” Seamaster divers from the past few decades. I believe these were marketed to men and have (as big-watch trends developed) crept into unisex territory.

I’m just wondering if any men out there own/wear these on a 6.5-to-7” wrist, and, if so, how they wear. I don’t have a chance to try one on locally and am worried that they might look very small.

To be clear, I have owned and loved several 36mm watches over the years, and even a few down to 34mm. But those were all watches without tool bezels—all dial, basically. I’m wondering if the bezel on the SM will make the dial seem really tiny. But maybe it’s a watch that wears big?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Edited:

I have a 2553.41 (the 36mm limited edition Omega did in honor of French diver Jacques Mayol with green wave dial) and LOVE IT on my 6.6 inch wrist!

523A2273-4AE4-4157-8B69-C8F9DF444B8A.jpeg

It does feel slightly smaller than say a 36mm Explorer, like you say it comes down to dial size, but it has great weight, including the bracelet, so it feels substantial and yet a bit understated for a diver. All in I think it’s pretty damn perfect!

7827EFD4-7BA5-4D53-9584-A4F89A8B3FF0.jpeg

That does seem well-proportioned to your wrist. I suppose that with the lugs and endlinks, the overall proportions of the case are larger than the diameter alone might suggest.

Definitely - those relatively long, curved lugs add to the overall feel on the wrist, and the fact that the bracelet is quite heavy and doesn’t taper also adds presence. I say go for it!

I once went on a CPR training course where one of the instructors had a Seamaster Pro midsize on his wrist. His wrist was at least 6.5in diameter, if not close to 7in, and it didn't look too small. Then there's the most famous wearer of the Seamaster Pro midsize:
images (3).jpeg images (4).jpeg images (2).jpeg
Prince William, heir to the British throne, sports the quartz version which was a gift from his late mother Diana. As you can see, he's a tall guy, with wrists at least 6.5-7.0in diameter.

OP is absolutely right to ask about size appropriateness when it comes to divers--in my case, I'm usually fine with smaller watches down to 34 and 36mm, but when I try on for example, the Breitling Superocean 36 (they have a turquoise dial which I think is really cool), it is just entirely too small given that bezel. The dial is probably on a 32 with that watch. I even thought the Rolex Yachtmaster 37 was too small on my wrist for the same reason. Bottomline IMO is that you should at least try one on if at all possible before laying down the $$.

Mid size rules! I wish i had a 2252.50 in 36 instead of the 41 2254.50 that I got. I love my watch but sometimes I think it is a tad too big.

IMG_20230521_150244 (2).jpg

2252.50 on a 7" wrist. it looks small if looking at first person but it's just right if looking from another's perpective

I have 6.5” wrists but wore a speedy pro daily for maybe 15 years on the original bracelet and a variety of straps but was always noticing the size and weight. The full metal bracelet was heavy so I switched to leather but found it unbalanced as it would keep slipping to under my wrist.

Over the past 10 years I have migrated to 34mm Omega dress watches (60s and 70s Connie’s etc) and recently purchased a 34mm Oyster Perpetual date and love it.

Latest addition is a 36mm Pre-Bond 200 midsize 368-1042 and I’m really pleased with the size. The Pre-Bonds are particularly slinky. Not to everyone’s taste hence the bargains available.

Go Midsize

70618197814__FDA7264D-3130-457B-8498-C4D954D297C8.jpeg IMG_3399.jpeg

I also like the midsize. A common complain I hear is the bezel taking up too much real estate leaving a small dial but I have no issues with legibility. I like it as it’s a little less flashy but commonly wear 42mm seikos. If u can try one on first that would be ideal but I don’t have an omega place in my immediate area.

Mine doesn't get the attention it did but only because the rotation is much bigger. Here it is on my 8" wrist...20230529_124804.jpg

Omigos,

I’m thinking here about, say, the 2223.80 or 2561.80 or really any of the 36mm “midsize” Seamaster divers from the past few decades. I believe these were marketed to men and have (as big-watch trends developed) crept into unisex territory.

I’m just wondering if any men out there own/wear these on a 6.5-to-7” wrist, and, if so, how they wear. I don’t have a chance to try one on locally and am worried that they might look very small.

To be clear, I have owned and loved several 36mm watches over the years, and even a few down to 34mm. But those were all watches without tool bezels—all dial, basically. I’m wondering if the bezel on the SM will make the dial seem really tiny. But maybe it’s a watch that wears big?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I’ll stick my neck out and offer the less positive view. Yes it is a better looking and more functional watch in the full 41mm size. I’ve owned both. My wrist is around 7.15” and I found the mid size too small whereas I found the full size just right. As you say, it’s not the diameter of the head that is the issue, it’s how much of the viewable area the bezel robs. The Pre-Bond seems to work a little better in the mid size as the bezel is skinnier, though there the 40mm is nicer too IMO. I might view it differently if my wrist were only 6.5” though.

I’ll stick my neck out and offer the less positive view. Yes it is a better looking and more functional watch in the full 41mm size. I’ve owned both. My wrist is around 7.15” and I found the mid size too small whereas I found the full size just right. As you say, it’s not the diameter of the head that is the issue, it’s how much of the viewable area the bezel robs. The Pre-Bond seems to work a little better in the mid size as the bezel is skinnier, though there the 40mm is nicer too IMO. I might view it differently if my wrist were only 6.5” though.

You don’t, by chance, have a pic of the 36mm?

You don’t, by chance, have a pic of the 36mm?
Sadly not. It was swapped for a 41mm model, in fact a variety of 41mm models eventually graced my wrist.

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, I reckon that the cross sectional profile of your wrist will also be a factor in whether a midsize SMP will work on a 6.5in-7in wrist. If you have a more rounded wrist profile rather than a flat wrist, then the midsize SMP is more likely to work better. If your wrist is flat, then I'd go the full size SMP.

Very true—it’s lug to lug that matters, far more than wrist circumference.

Here's mine! My first Omega was the quartz from 2011 with blue bezel, i guess that one was 41mm. I ended up selling it and went for this one- really like the yellow/orange lume plots, the steel bezel and size! Currently testing if it's still waterproof and looking forward to wearing it in summer

Here's a Bond quartz 36.2mm on a 7 inch wrist. I tried to give some distance between the camera and wrist. It's doable, especially on the OEM bracelet. If your other watches are 34mm to 36mm it will look normal. But if you are switching up with larger watches it can look small.

IMG_6939.jpg

Here's a Bond quartz 36.2mm on a 7 inch wrist. I tried to give some distance between the camera and wrist. It's doable, especially on the OEM bracelet. If your other watches are 34mm to 36mm it will look normal. But if you are switching up with larger watches it can look small.

IMG_6939.jpg

Thanks for this!