Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster 2551.80 Mid Size 36mm Blue Wave Bond Auto - Legit?

1. C Master Jan 7, 2024

Hi all,

I’m looking at this Omega Seamaster Pro SMP 300M 2551.80 Mid Size 36mm VTG OG Blue Wave Bond Auto.

All looks legit to me, but anyone see anything off about it?

Seller is asking $1,750… based on my limited knowledge, that seems fair, but I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts.

Also - since these aren’t vintage, can they be considered waterproof?

Thank you for any insight.

IMG_4933.jpeg IMG_4934.jpeg IMG_4935.jpeg IMG_4936.jpeg IMG_4937.jpeg IMG_4938.jpeg IMG_4939.jpeg IMG_4940.jpeg

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2024

Not sure I like the look of the lume there. It may indicate water damage at some point as it looks like it is going fungal on the LHS plots. An SMP can be made fully waterproof yes, but it needs a pressure test to check if this is the case.

ErichPryde and C Master like this.
  3. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

Looks fine to me—and the price seems reasonable.

Since the paperwork specifically says that pressure testing was not performed, then no—you should not consider the watch waterproof. You’ll want to have a watchmaker test it and replace gaskets if needed.

Archer, Fish70 and C Master like this.
  4. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

I agree re: the lume plots, though nowadays that passes for a “tropical dial” or whatever. It wouldn’t necessarily put me off the watch at that price. Just get it pressure tested to prevent any further damage.

You are probably aware already, but if not: by today’s gargantuan watch standards, 36mm is going to feel small. I had one of these (with the black dial and sword hands) for a while and it did take some getting used to. 36mm includes the width of the bezel: the dial itself is dainty. Very wearable—I like 36mm—but if you have larger wrists it could disappoint.

C Master likes this.
  5. Donn Chambers Jan 7, 2024

I am also concerned about the lume plots. Half look moldy, the other half fine. Could be the lighting, but I would ask for another picture to prove they are the same color all around. If the seller refused, I’d walk away, because there are better examples out there.

C Master likes this.
  6. C Master Jan 7, 2024

Thank you very much!

Thank you. Yea I actually prefer smaller watches. I have a really small wrist so the 34mm vintage omegas I have fit well. I have one 39mm watch and it’s the absolute biggest I can go.

Thank you for your insight! I’ve just asked for additional photos and will share if I get a response.

7. C Master Jan 7, 2024

Just got a response:

“The tritium dial markers have discolored with age and are not equal in this process.”

Could this be an age thing or is it certainly a water damage thing? Thanks everyone.

I asked for additional photos again so we’ll see.

Donn Chambers likes this.
  8. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

I totally hear what others are saying about the lume. FWIW, I’d say that’s a condition issue that’s baked into the price. By comparison, a place like SwissWatchExpo often has these midsize SMPs in better condition listed for $2300 or so. I’m a little confused as to why a seller would include a service but not a pressure test. But the lume thing would concern me more (or, rather, repel me) if the seller were asking over 2k. Unless people think this is an issue that will progress?

C Master likes this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2024

I'd keep looking personally. That dial is pretty grotty and that isn't how they normally age so I do think there has been some extra factor such as water ingress, and that may mean there are horrors lurking in the movement too.

Edited Jan 7, 2024
    Drof14 and C Master like this.
  10. C Master Jan 7, 2024

Done! Thank you. I’m definitely going to pay attention to the lume now.

This forum always blows me away

11. C Master Jan 7, 2024

12. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

Bezel’s got a few dings and -37 seconds means it’s due for a complete service, so you’d need to factor in $$$ for that (and having it out of your hands while it’s being serviced). But the dial is definitely better.

13. C Master Jan 7, 2024

Yea... Most dial lumes I see have this yellow tint to them. Is that just normal age? Is the fact that this one is white a rare thing?

14. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

Just aged differently—same luminous material but different life-experience. Some collectors like the yellowed look; others prefer it to look like-new (whiter).

15. C Master Jan 7, 2024

I've only been looking at these guys for a short time... Do you think in terms of value for money, I could do better than that one? I'm not seeing many others in as nice condition (ignoring need for service) at that price point...

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2024

I don’t think it is the same lume. The first watch looks to be tritium, though it’s not gone the pumpkin colour normally seen. The second is definitely SuperLuminova. The change over occurred around 1997. SL lume doesn’t noticeably age or change colour even after decades. It keeps on working. Tritium will be very dim by now, after 2 half lives.

The second watch is better, and you have $150 to put towards a service vs the first.

Edited Jan 7, 2024
    wilderbeast and Donn Chambers like this.
  17. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

Also possible (what Padders said). I’m pretty sure both of these are tritium that aged differently. (Could be wrong but then the listings are wrong, not just me.) Both already sold watches.

Tritium aging can really vary.

IMG_3401.jpeg IMG_3402.jpeg
  18. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

If I were you, I’d wait for one to pop up from a reputable preowned dealer. These are not rare references at all and they come up often. If you hang in there—a few weeks or months—one will appear that will be in strong condition and will come with the dealer’s service (including a timing and pressure test) and warranty thereof. You shouldn’t need to settle for a dial you don’t love or a watch that will need servicing right away—not for run of the mill Seamaster like this.

You’ll pay a premium for this (probably more like $2200), but the peace of mind is worth it.

C Master likes this.
  19. C Master Jan 7, 2024

Thank that's exactly the insight I was looking for.

Really appreciate all your help today.

20. Annapolis Jan 7, 2024

I think we here always appreciate people who make their inquiries before purchasing! :)

Many of the big preowned guys don’t often get into these less expensive pieces. (I doubt that WatchBox or DavidSW or EuropeanWatch would, for example.) But…

Crown and Caliber/Hodinkee
    Swiss Watch Expo
    Bob’s Watches
    Jomashop
    Tourneau
    Maybe OCWatch or Nashville?—less sure about them.

Pretty sure I’ve left off some biggies. Check frequently. You can even contact them and let them know you’re looking—they’ll give you first dibs.

Waiting sucks, but you won’t regret it.

Also, obviously, monitor the sales listings here—even the “non-Rolex” sales section at the Rolex Forum. I would avoid eBay and Craigslist and the like. Lot of shenanigans.