Forums Latest Members
  1. Sherbie Aug 1, 2020

You never know, maybe Omega have a record of your enquiry 8 years ago. If so, just state that the watch has been untouched for the intervening period, so all they would have to do is update the quote Using todays prices (expecting that both parts and labour have increased during this time)

Edited Aug 1, 2020
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 1, 2020

I can't think of any reason why Omega wouldn't work on your watch.
    I don't think they would be too worried about who had worked on it previously, the warranty ran out a while ago.

Archer likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2020

This does not reflect official Omega policies, so I don’t really think the people who told you this knew what they were talking about, or it was somehow misinterpreted.

Omega doesn’t care who worked on the watch previously, and even if they did, they would have no way of knowing who worked on it before it came to them.

Omega will refuse to service a watch with a fake or non-Omega movement, but if there is a specific part that isn’t made by Omega, they will simply replace it, not refuse the service. The sort of policy you are referring to is a Rolex style
    policy, where they consider the whole watch fake if one part is fake (which is complete nonsense). Omega will simply fix what needs fixing, and not get bent out of shape if by some small chance there is some sort of aftermarket parts used.

Cheers, Al

Eve, Dan S, pascs and 4 others like this.
  4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 1, 2020

Omega would not be too concerned about our quest for vintage spare parts and our stories how to get these.....Omega is in the business of selling new watches. Kind regards. Achim

Lucasssssss and Archer like this.
  5. TechFounder Aug 2, 2020

Well, this is what the customer service people said would happen at the 5th Ave Omega Boutique service counter. They may not know what they’re talking about but they stressed this a couple of times when I was there.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2020

If they tell you this again, ask them how they would know who the watchmaker was that last serviced it. I would be interested to hear what their answer would be.

7. TechFounder Aug 2, 2020

I didn’t ask them that at the time but I did ask them if they ever had any watches returned because they refused service. They responded in the affirmative.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2020

Did they explain why? There are lots of reasons watches get refused service...

9. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

Maybe they would refuse to service it if the movement had been swapped into the wrong reference. But I don't know if they would even bother to research that as long as it was the correct caliber for the reference.

10. TechFounder Aug 2, 2020

I asked right after they gave me the warning so I’m not sure which part of the warning. Since I knew my watch had authentic and complete parts I didn’t pursue it further.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2020

The only way they could find that out is through the archive process. Personally I think it's unlikely that they would do this unless you are going through that authentication process they now have.

But watches can get refused if they don't have parts, if serial numbers have been removed, but not because an "unauthorized" watchmaker works on it, or because there is and aftermarket mainspring in the watch (which is one of the few parts that are even available for the movement that would be considered fake in any way). If someone stuck a Lemania movement in a Speedmaster case, then yes they certainly won't service that.

Of course owners can also "refuse" the service if it costs too much, or if Omega is proposing work they they don't want done...

Dan S likes this.
  12. TechFounder Aug 2, 2020

Sure, but my reason for posting is for the OP to find out exactly their policy as it pertains to his situation or else he may have to pay $75 for his watch to take a nice vacation in Switzerland.

13. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

What situation? Missing parts? I seriously doubt they could tell him over the phone without inspecting the watch to see what parts are needed.

14. TechFounder Aug 2, 2020

Yes, and anything else specific to his case to be sure that Omega won’t refuse service.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2020

There is nothing else.

16. Stripey Aug 2, 2020

Can I ask, did you mean to say unauthorised rather than authorised?

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 2, 2020

You've been given a load of bullshit from a salesperson at a boutique, several people here have told you that they were wrong yet you still think you are right? Give it up ffs.

18. Loupe73 Aug 2, 2020

Could I ask another question about the dial.
    My watch dial has marks at the bottom and the text of “Swiss made” is missing.
    I originally thought it was damaged but when I looked closer it’s not actually chipped but worn away.
    On every Speedmaster I’ve looked at, the text is very visible on the dial and away from the edge of the case.
    However, I’ve come across this pic on the Omega site and The position of the dial at the bottom would tie in with where I think my dial originally sat in the case.
    Is this just the angle of the pic on the Omega site or am i correct?

372726A5-7E62-4753-A79E-8C33EBF1CDC5.jpeg 567E4BD4-38F7-46F9-9166-90553AE0CB72.png
  19. Loupe73 Aug 2, 2020

20. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that at some point the wrong rehaut/tension-ring was installed, and damaged the outer part of the dial. Seems like a reasonable conjecture given the way that only the outer part of the text is removed. In the end, it doesn't matter. It's clear to see that the text was originally present, it's just some minor damage.

Loupe73, pascs, Archer and 2 others like this.