Forums Latest Members
  1. Loupe73 Jul 31, 2020

Oh right...
    Given the fact it’s been butchered then it’s very probably cobbled together.
    I wonder if the donor watch had the orange hand and was swapped over to this one. ::confused2::
    This is all very bizarre!

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 31, 2020

It is pretty straight forward to find out everything you need to know. Take a photo of the dial and back and apply for an Omega extract of the archives. Take a note of the full serial but maybe don't send them a movement photo unless they insist on it, they likely wont. How did you come by it?

Edited Jul 31, 2020
    Loupe73 likes this.
  3. Evitzee Jul 31, 2020

Lots has changed in the Omega Service world in the 8 to 10 years since they last looked at it. Be prepared for a shock at the restoration price no matter who does the work. Personally, I'd get an Extract first and then plan the way forward.

It's sad to see watches cannibalized and butchered and then sold off to an unsuspecting soul. Knowing how the OP got this watch would be interesting.

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 31, 2020

Just my 2Cs...The more valuable the watch the bigger the mine-field. Best you tread with caution!

5. Loupe73 Jul 31, 2020

I just had a look at the archive section by Omega and I’ll go down that route first. Thanks!
    I’m trying to remember when I actually bought it, i wish I could find the estimate paperwork as that would obviously tell me, but I’m thinking 2009/10

I bought it as a non working watch with the bezel missing and with what I thought was an amateur paint job on the stop watch hand.
    This is the first time I’ve read about the orange hand being possibly an Omega option.
    After I was told it would be away for a year at Omega I had it sent back and did nothing with it.
    I didn’t realise until l saw the comparison to another 321 movement today that lots of parts were actually missing.
    It’s in a bit of a sorry state along with half the movement missing and the dial isn’t the best...
    I think this will be triggers broom if I go ahead with a service, who knows what that will cost.
    Hopefully cheaper than the Rolex Heritage department!

6. Loupe73 Jul 31, 2020

Pics showing Swiss made missing and orange hand

7E029851-E0D6-4DE1-89F0-AF3D21A45F04.jpeg D8C50344-E43E-45CE-B2C1-AA31CFAD96AE.jpeg
  7. YY77 Jul 31, 2020

Didn't you compare it with this one albeit an 861?

image.jpeg
  8. Loupe73 Jul 31, 2020

I knew it was a different movement to the 74 Speedmaster and that parts were missing but didn’t realise how many until I saw the pic posted on the forum today.
    I’ll admit I’m out of my depth on Omegas which is why I’ve asked so many questions on them...
    The 74 I bought recently, it wasn’t something that I was looking to buy but the previous owner had received an offer from watchfinder which he was happy with and then asked if I would be interested in matching their offer as he didn’t want to post it to them.
    I normally stick to Rolex so this is all a steep learning curve!

9. Philou Aug 1, 2020

You could also contact STS (Swiss Time Services) in UK, they own a huge stock of vintage Omega parts, maybe it's worth a try.

Loupe73 likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2020

Contender for "Understatement of the year" here on OF...

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2020

Independents are just that - independent. Just to clarify, Omega doesn't dictate what independent watchmakers work on - I have two 321 Speedmasters in my shop right now, and I order parts for these movements regularly.

They do dictate what their own service centers work on, and the 321 is a "Bienne only" movement, but any part that Omega still has available for the 321, I can buy without issue. The problem is, they just don't have that many, and the claims and promises of all parts being available again with the "new" 321 have unfortunately not materialized, and I don't believe they ever will.

Cheers, Al

12. M'Bob Aug 1, 2020

What would be your guess as to why they won't follow through with making parts available again?

13. Martin_J_N Aug 1, 2020

I'm no expert but wouldn't Omega want to have 321 servicing in house where they can control everything?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2020

Because they need to maintain the mystique surrounding this movement, that requires "special scans" and "special teams" of watchmakers to work on them...

I hope I'm wrong on this, and people here have outright told me I'm wrong in the past. But so far, no parts have materialized. People will argue it's a new release and the parts just haven't been made available yet, but as we've seen the case, dial, hands are all already available and being made into frankens...but zero movement parts have been made available for the 321B movement. Not holding my breath...

YY77 likes this.
  15. M'Bob Aug 1, 2020

There are obviously a number scenarios possible, the following not exhaustive: they have all the parts, and want to do the service in-house only to maintain the mystique, as you say. They have all the parts, and will service in-house, and release them to folks like you.

I don’t see a down-side to the latter. Companies typically make a disproportionate amount of money on parts compared to whole sold items, which could then be passed by you on to the consumer. The high price would certainly preserve the perceived exclusivity. Plus, those that have shied away from a vintage purchase, from reading fora like this where everyone bemoans the lack of parts availability, would now be more apt to purchase, thus again fueling the parts demand.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 1, 2020

Neither do I, yet the parts that certain people here said were going to flow, haven't.

Again I hope I'm wrong, but so far no parts...

17. Loupe73 Aug 1, 2020

That’s very interesting about the 321 movement being produced again, I looked at the new watch and it looks really good.
    The Archive application has been sent off this afternoon and I’ll let you know what they say.
    Thanks to everyone who has replied and filled my head full of nonsense!

18. TechFounder Aug 1, 2020

Do you think they can just use the new 321 parts for this? I mean, they did say they scanned the old 321 so it should be an exact match?

19. TechFounder Aug 1, 2020

Please be aware that Bienne may choose not to work on your watch. All vintage watches they work on have to authentic. When I sent my 1961 Seamaster in for service, the Omega Boutique stressed that if they find anything in the movement that's not authentic and that looks like it's been worked on by authorized personnel, they will return the watch and refuse service. They will charge you $75 for the shipping to and from Bienne. Based on the missing parts, I would say you're highly likely to be rejected for service. You should call Omega to double-check as you obviously don't want to spend the $75 for nothing.

The reason they do this is due to the fact that once they service your watch, they fully stand behind the work so that they will cover the watch for any problems for 2 years. Also, they don't want to be responsible for a vintage movement that someone might have messed up as it could cost them an arm and a leg to get it back into pefect working order due to someone else's negligence.

I used the regular full service and not the restoration service which is much more expensive. They may have a different rule for the more expensive service and allow for missing parts. You'll have to check with them on that.

Best of luck!

Stripey likes this.
  20. Loupe73 Aug 1, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to write your reply.
    I understand that they could reject the watch and my hope is that because they have seen it before and estimated the work that they may do the same again.
    Of course, that was a long time ago and things can change.
    I’m trying to rack my brain to what they actually said in the service estimate but it was so long ago I really can’t remember if it itemised parts.
    I actually thought the orange painted hand was an amateur job to make it unique for the owner and that they would change it for an original white one when serviced.
    Quite glad I posted on the forum, fingers crossed!