Forums Latest Members
  1. CoDiffe Oct 18, 2019

Hello all,

I've been looking around for a good example of a 321 for quite awhile and I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around all the potential pit falls of overpricing, re-lumes, non-original parts, straight vs. twisted lug etc.

I've noticed many people on here say that they believe vintage Rolex to be a mine field but I can tell you based on my experience in Rolex and now looking for a 321 - the vintage 321 Speedmaster is an ABSOLUTE minefield.

Do I just need to be resigned to the fact that I'm not going to find a GOOD example of a 321 for under $10k? I don't need anything collector by any means. I want to wear/enjoy it and not be scared. That being said, the dial and hands are the most important aspects to me. I don't want a relume. Unpolished case is nice but further down on the list. I've seen some nice twisted lugs listed but for over $10k and for those prices it makes me think I should just go straight lug but maybe I'm going to spend years looking for the right one.

I keep hearing stories of people finding for well under $10k but that seems to be few and far between. Any advice from seasoned vets out there? Should I just keep my '69 861 and be grateful for what I have? Is my budget too low?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 18, 2019

If you haven't been here you have a lot of reading to do and even if you have you still probably have a lot of reading to do.

http://speedmaster101.com/

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 18, 2019

here is a very good one for about 10k (subtracting the bracelet value). It all depends on what you want and what you define as ‘good’, but to me that’s the best one I have seen on the market for a long while (and I’m not hunting them, so most probably missed a few). Half the problem is the bezel value ::screwloose:: Subtract that, and then suddenly the prices are not so crazy, calculating value as parts. Heck, arguably very good -69s with DONs are also round 10k. I am not one to speculate but I can’t imagine the reintroduction of the 321, and the prices those watches sell for (eagerly awaiting the last speedy this year, which will be a 321 and steel), will do anything to lower the value of good 321 based vintage watches. Certainly there are deals to be had, good luck finding untrodden parts of the internet where ignorant people sell things they know nothing about (it happens still!).

CoDiffe and ndgal like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 18, 2019

Plenty of good -67s around for less than $10k. They are the most affordable of the 321 Speedys.

5. CoDiffe Oct 20, 2019

Good info thank you. I’ve actually been in talks with that particular seller on that watch so it’s good to know others think it’s a good value as well. I’m trying to talk him into considering selling head only.

6. CoDiffe Oct 20, 2019

Don’t think he’s gonna go for it though.

7. chronos Oct 20, 2019

Why don't you go for the whole package, then? You can still sell the bracelet if you decide you don't want to keep it.

8. CoDiffe Oct 20, 2019

Oh I’d love to have it. Just a matter of being able to afford it though. :D

9. chronos Oct 20, 2019

Ah, ok. Gotcha ;)

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 20, 2019

here is another veeeeeery nice one :

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1967-omega-speedmaster-105-012-66-hf-case-1039-516-bracelet-great-dial.97363/

A smidgen more (but it is a 105.012). And also in fine condition. Both will keep a smile on your face. The only advice I can give : buy the best watch you can find (even if it costs a tad more than you are happy to spend). Sardines and bread are actually quite nutritious for a month ;)

Dash1, Larry S and M'Bob like this.