2998-1 on June 24th Antiquorum Auction

I am really getting obsessed with those 2998s. I just love that reference and all this subtle differences reminds me why I love vintage watches. So here we have another nice 2998 on auction.
Very low refernce number, correct one.
The dial is very beautiful. It's a huge pros. It is not perfect but this just makes it even more interesting for me. And tips the scales in the favor of being geniuine, right? We've seen here some oven baked dials, or at least had suspicion about it. In this 2998-1 dial feels right to me and very attractive.
The patina on hour indexes and hands are nice and fits the dial as well.
Hands are correct. There is a curve on it when you zoom closely. Or at least I can see it (or just have good imagination).
Crown is correct 24 teeth and puchers are dirty on the bottoms which is good! Make sense with the age of the watch.
I miss more pictures...that's a shame. And I heard some unflattering opinions about Antiquorum.

I'd love to hear some opinions from forum experts on this watch. What do you think about the case? Is it even possible to evalute with so few pictures?
Estimates are $21K - 42 which seems fine for me. In last two years I remember three 2998-1and 2s with such a milk chocolate brown dials. One was at Phillips in famous 2021 auction (the one with 3 million dollar 2915) and the other two at Phillips in 2020. All three sold for over 100K.

https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080221/51

https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080220/123

https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080120/93

Beautiful. ‘Interesting’ patination around the dial (and hands…all the spotting and clouds etc). Moisture? That would naturally bring the lume into question, but it too is a bit ‘spotty’. I’ll wager it fetches a fair price, but not record-book stuff…some fraction (but which?!) of what a perfect specimen would fetch. But don’t mind me, I too love this reference. The experts will be along soon…

I might be unfair by saying this but “tropical dial” and “antiquorum” in the same sentence it’s enough to putt me off…

Ps: “Daytona” and “antiquorum” give me the same unpleasant sensation

I might be unfair by saying this but “tropical dial” and “antiquorum” in the same sentence it’s enough to putt me off…

Ps: “Daytona” and “antiquorum” give me the same unpleasant sensation

Yes, AQ has something of a dark reputation and tropical dials is a fragile theme. But I can not imagine how to prepare such an unperfect perfect dial...

Beautiful. ‘Interesting’ patination around the dial (and hands…all the spotting and clouds etc). Moisture? That would naturally bring the lume into question, but it too is a bit ‘spotty’. I’ll wager it fetches a fair price, but not record-book stuff…some fraction (but which?!) of what a perfect specimen would fetch. But don’t mind me, I too love this reference. The experts will be along soon…

But if it was moisture wouldn't it also make some damge to the print?

But if it was moisture wouldn't it also make some damge to the print?

Never seen that honestly, but there is lots I haven’t seen 😀

I was really lagged with stream but what I saw was 28k euro. And as far as I know Antiquorum takes 10% commission fee so less than 31k. Not that much righ..?

I agree with this, as lume looks too good with the dial damage so would assume it is a relume but a well done one at that so wouldn't want to pay top price for this reference. Other than that it looks correct to me.

I was really lagged with stream but what I saw was 28k euro. And as far as I know Antiquorum takes 10% commission fee so less than 31k. Not that much righ..?

I thought they took 28% commission to the buyer (on top of the hammer price) and 9-11% (of the hammer price) to the seller . This is normally the standard for major auction houses. I’m not criticising

I thought they took 28% commission to the buyer (on top of the hammer price) and 9-11% (of the hammer price) to the seller . This is normally the standard for major auction houses. I’m not criticising
Yes yes, my fault! Of course it's more. It can be up to 30 with tax. Still 35k is a fair price in my view.

I agree with this, as lume looks too good with the dial damage so would assume it is a relume but a well done one at that so wouldn't want to pay top price for this reference. Other than that it looks correct to me.

Yes, possibly. I was asking if it’s because of moisture should’t it make some demage on a print? But actually the print is a little bit blurred. Specially between 9 and 10. If the lume is new it is very good job. But of course still not original and should be considered while pricing it.

I'm a bit late in replying but I saw the 2998 in person and I would described it as damaged, not tropical. The hands are also too far towards damaged. You can't fault AQ when 80% of the dial is tropical 😉🤦

I left before the two gold Apollo XI's came up, what price did they get?

Thanks. Is it me or are prices for these decreasing?
With premium the more expensive one was over 45k in euros. I’m not the expert but it looks like that for me either. I remember that one was sold at Phillips in may for 53k CHF and some knowledgeable people here were saying it was already good deal. Here its even less and I find it attractive. Oval O, well preserved, nice bezel. The other one was way worse (I mean cheaper one at AQ, the one at Phillips was very nice!)