2531.80 enlarged lug holes - laser weld or new case?

Hello,

My dad has owned his 2531.80 from new and I believe it dates back to 2004. I thought I would do a nice cleaning for it and when I removed the bracelet noticed that all lug holes showed signs of enlargement, some pretty significant and others not as much. On the significant ones they were pretty close to the edge. It’s only stayed on the bracelet this whole time and he’s not one for swapping straps. My guess is time + dirt was the cause.

I didn’t take pictures but I’m wondering if laser welding would work in this case or should we just get a new case and send to Switzerland? I’ve seen some good laser weld repair on lug holes but just wondering if it actually lasts in the long run. Admittedly my knowledge on metals is minimal but wondering if the laser welding can stress the case and cause damage it? Would the repair be considered long lasting? How would the repair center or watchmaker make the lug hole in the same position and spec as it was originally? Any way to ensure the same kind of stainless steel is used to match the case?

sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure we take the proper route.

Thanks

Pictures will get you better answers.
I cant answer many/any of your questions, other than say it takes someone with skill but it can be done well. I can tell you the laser weld will run you $300-$500+ from what I have seen, not sure how that compares to the cost of a new case.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding a new case, if we were to go that route, would Omega ever deny our request for a new case if we’re willing to pay for it? Not sure what their standards are for a worn case…

I would send it in for service and take it from there. I don’t understand how 18 years of normal wear would do this.

If you send it in for a service, I suspect that Omega will offer to replace the case when they see the condition. In fact, they may even require it.

If you send it in for a service, I suspect that Omega will offer to replace the case when they see the condition. In fact, they may even require it.

What’s interesting is the rest is the watch is pretty immaculate for being 18 years old. Just the lug holes are pretty worn

[...] lug holes showed signs of enlargement, some pretty significant and others not as much. On the significant ones they were pretty close to the edge.
Enlarged holes are so big that they are close to the case' lug edge? Sounds extraordinary.

It happens, laser welding is definitely a good option.
If I remind well, it cost around 150 to 200€, and you are then all right with this problem solved.
Plus it is inside lug, so not an issue for the case itself

Judging by the price inflation on other parts, I’d expect a new case to cost in excess of €750 so personally I’d go down the laser welding route. This is not a common problem so I wouldn’t expect Omega to change the case gratis out of goodwill like they do with the faded Bond bezels at present.

I too would like to see this. for the hole to approach the edge there must be a massive amount of wear and I’d guess the bracelet is toast too.

Hello,

Admittedly my knowledge on metals is minimal but wondering if the laser welding can stress the case and cause damage it? Would the repair be considered long lasting? How would the repair center or watchmaker make the lug hole in the same position and spec as it was originally? Any way to ensure the same kind of stainless steel is used to match the case?

Thanks

Hey Rahul I know about welding in general, but not laser or case welding specifically. But I will give it a go: All welding processes gives thermal stresses in the welded part. The fine thing with lazer welding is the controlled and consentrated heat minimizing stresses and distortion. Thermal stresses can be tackeled by preheating and normalizing after welding. So No no reason to be worried about negative effects of welding.
A weld correctly done is considert a good as the base material or better, so the repair would be long lasting. A welder would use the correct material in the weld for 316 SS, witch is a common stainless steel. So no problem here either. Hope this helps

Enlarged holes are so big that they are close to the case' lug edge? Sounds extraordinary.

Indeed - would like to see a photo of that, because it would be very unusual.

Hey Rahul I know about welding in general, but not laser or case welding specifically. But I will give it a go: All welding processes gives thermal stresses in the welded part. The fine thing with lazer welding is the controlled and consentrated heat minimizing stresses and distortion. Thermal stresses can be tackeled by preheating and normalizing after welding. So No no reason to be worried about negative effects of welding.
A weld correctly done is considert a good as the base material or better, so the repair would be long lasting. A welder would use the correct material in the weld for 316 SS, witch is a common stainless steel. So no problem here either. Hope this helps

Laser welding creates a very small HAZ, so the sort of procedures you are referring to wouldn't be required.

My dad has owned his 2531.80 from new and I believe it dates back to 2004. I thought I would do a nice cleaning for it and when I removed the bracelet noticed that all lug holes showed signs of enlargement, some pretty significant and others not as much. On the significant ones they were pretty close to the edge.

So I have a 25318000 in the shop, and looking at the lug holes...

To have enough wear to even come close to the edge of the case would be extraordinary...can you please post photos?

Laser welding creates a very small HAZ, so the sort of procedures you are referring to wouldn't be required.

Yeah I think I mentioned that in my post, but thanks for reading

I’d say bring it to a trustworthy independent watchmaker and ask them if it compromises the lug safety. One option is to use thicker spring bars. Maybe as a vintage watch enthusiast I have a bias favoring originality, but I would avoid repairs unless necessary to keep the watch safe.

Hello,

My dad has owned his 2531.80 from new and I believe it dates back to 2004. I thought I would do a nice cleaning for it and when I removed the bracelet noticed that all lug holes showed signs of enlargement, some pretty significant and others not as much. On the significant ones they were pretty close to the edge. It’s only stayed on the bracelet this whole time and he’s not one for swapping straps. My guess is time + dirt was the cause.

I didn’t take pictures but I’m wondering if laser welding would work in this case or should we just get a new case and send to Switzerland? I’ve seen some good laser weld repair on lug holes but just wondering if it actually lasts in the long run. Admittedly my knowledge on metals is minimal but wondering if the laser welding can stress the case and cause damage it? Would the repair be considered long lasting? How would the repair center or watchmaker make the lug hole in the same position and spec as it was originally? Any way to ensure the same kind of stainless steel is used to match the case?

sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure we take the proper route.

Thanks

Please post pictures.