Forums Latest Members
  1. keisuke_z Jan 3, 2020

Hi folks!

Since I recently picked up an old 2254 and swapped in a non-AC dial, I’ve had the old (and quite worn out) dial sitting around. I’ve been learning a lot about watchmaking and I’m curious to try out something like reluming a watch dial. I was wondering whether anyone has ever considered changing the lume on the 2254 dial from the original green to the newer superluminova bgw9 that’s white and glows blue? I know modding isn’t really that accepted and it’s not for everyone, but since this is an old and unused dial, I started thinking about it and wondered whether anyone has contemplated or tried it before!

2. gpssti4 Jan 4, 2020

When I bought my 2230 it came with a spare damaged dial. I had my watchmaker send it off for a relume in white superluminova. I’m not sure specification of the lume, but it is much more white than the standard greenish lume on the 2230 or the 2254. It doesn’t have the blue glow that you were seeking though and still glows whitish/green at night.

E044ED73-1AB3-4481-906F-3CC17062BA47.jpeg D730DB56-3FDB-4197-84FD-3F9C047A05E9.jpeg
    keisuke_z likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 4, 2020

C3 isn’t really all that green, it can look pale yellow under a certain dim light but looks pretty white under bright daylight. There has always been a whiter SL compound known as C1 It’s whiter in daylight but the downside is it isn’t as bright as C3 at night. I think this is what was used on the Great White. The newer white compound which glows blue, bgw9 is better but still not as bright as C3. if you want your lume to be as bright as it gets, and the 2254 is already up there, use C3, but the blue glow material isn’t far behind.
    See below.

https://luciusatelier.com/blogs/news/learn-about-the-swiss-super-luminova-bgw9-lume

Edited Jan 4, 2020
    keisuke_z and gpssti4 like this.
  4. Denarius Jan 4, 2020

Lume is crazy bright on my 2254, I charged it last night with a UV torch, I thought the hour indices were going to burn through the back of the dial they were that bright!

OmeGez likes this.
  5. keisuke_z Jan 5, 2020

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Yea I found that article about lume as well, which is why I had my eye on the BGW9 since it appears fully white and glows bluish. Food for thought! Maybe I’ll practice on a few cheap dials first and then give it a try:whistling: