2023 Formula 1 Thread

So I'm going to date myself here but my friend and I were talking the other night about the Vegas spectacle happening now, remembering how much fun it was going to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix in 1981 and 82 as teenagers not even old enough to drink or gamble. 1981 we drove his moms Ford LTD, what a horrible piece of shit that thing was and 1982 we drove my Datsun 610 which had an L18-SSS with Webers, wheeee.

For the price of a cheap race day seat this year I think we did an entire weekend!

Oh good times!

Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 7.37.36 PM.png

How would you rate Button, Hill, Nico Rosberg and the newlywed Jacques Villenueve?
All below 0. None of them won a world championship in a substandard car. None. Would have been more surprising if they hadn’t have won a WDC.
Edited:

All below 0. None of them won a world championship in a substandard car. None. Would have been more surprising if they hadn’t have won a WDC.

Who ever has? Best drivers need the best cars underneath them. Similarly the best cars need the best drivers to extract the maximum from them.

It is, and always has been, a team sport.

Who ever has? Best drivers need the best cars underneath them. Similarly the best cars need the best drivers to extract the maximum from them.

It is, and always has been, a team sport.
Schumacher 1994, probably 2000 as well.

This post by Scarbs is rather interesting, there’s been yet another failure earlier or the F1 spec wheel. It was meant to both reduce costs and increase safety as the teams wouldn’t be constantly pushing the envelope in terms of lightness if it became a spec part.

What’s really odd is it’s BBS who are famous for their strong reliable wheel, it’s bizarre that they wouldn’t factor in enough safety margin.

https://x.com/ScarbsTech/status/1725835474520961121?s=20

View attachment 1695305

Don’t know what the deal is with my pictures.
Las Vegas is F’n great. Here 3 weeks ago and now today. Las Vegas is ridiculously great, even better today.

Martin Brundle's prerace grid walk and he ran into Kylie Minogue. She looks horrible now.

Donny Osmond did a great job of the anthem, every US sporting event I expect someone trying to exceed their vocal talent absolutely murdering it like Jamie Foxx at the Mayweather Pacquiao fight but that was really well done

That was a better race than I expected. That was a heck of an overtake by Charles on the last lap. Checo needs to improve his defense.

Max bitched and moaned all weekend, then shows up in an Elvis suit and wins. Viva Las Vegas.

Seems the drivers generally like the track; fast, challenging and fun to drive. Too many doomsayers are already calling LV a failure, let's let the weekend play out and see what the feeling is on Monday. Every street track has teething issues, it's not the end of the world.
That was a fun race to watch, lots happening. Plenty of overtakes and different strategies made for an exciting event. The Vegas backdrop made for a great spectacle.

Lots of fun, even from the cheap seats, i.e. next to the screened off track.

20231118_213114.jpg 20231118_220336_1_2.gif

Not sure about the post race car rides / interviews / podiums. Could've done without that. But overall, the racing was good! Shame Leclerc couldn't get the win. Very tough on Sainz, would've been great to see him in the mix as well.

Martin Brundle's prerace grid walk and he ran into Kylie Minogue. She looks horrible now.
Oh? I thought she was auditioning for the Joker?

Surprisingly enjoyable, much much better than expected... I was so hoping for a Leclerc win, and he wasn't far off..

I relly did not think this was going to a good race but it really was good. Having the action at the front all race was the highlight for me even though LeClerc did not win