2023 Formula 1 Thread

Looks like the one Sainz hit has been concreted back in, with a big ping circle drawn around it for visibility, but there are four others being looked at apparently.

230 local time fp2 started. Sainz gets grid penalty for F1 incompetence ::facepalm1::.

So half a billion dollars to put this weekend on, and they overlook manhole cover suction.. It's ridiculous, yes it's happened before in the past, but not when $500 million has been spent on a weekend.. That's more than the annual GDP of some countries.

Imagine paying all that money for a 3 day weekend ticket only to have 1 FP cancelled and FP2 delayed to a 2.30am start. Was crap to see FP2 with empty grandstands.

Imagine paying all that money for a 3 day weekend ticket only to have 1 FP cancelled and FP2 delayed to a 2.30am start. Was crap to see FP2 with empty grandstands.
Seeing the few people that stayed being threatened with trespass by the police was pretty sad, incredible poor planning

Surprised they don't weld those manhood covers down. Some how I dont think some concrete bits stand much of a chance against the massive suction created by these cars. I knew this race was going to be a shit show, and it did not take long to prove that out.

It was bad enough to make the CBS morning news today.

Seems the drivers generally like the track; fast, challenging and fun to drive. Too many doomsayers are already calling LV a failure, let's let the weekend play out and see what the feeling is on Monday. Every street track has teething issues, it's not the end of the world.

Seems the drivers generally like the track; fast, challenging and fun to drive. Too many doomsayers are already calling LV a failure, let's let the weekend play out and see what the feeling is on Monday. Every street track has teething issues, it's not the end of the world.
No need to wait until Monday for the US. We'll know by Sunday morning!

Tell Ferrari that. Probably cost them a million dollars for that manhole cover coming up. Plus 10 spots further back to Mercedes.

Tell Ferrari that. Probably cost them a million dollars for that manhole cover coming up
In 2017 Romain Grosjean’s Haas took damage from a drain cover at the Malaysian Grand Prix and the team successfully claimed compensation. I don’t remember the outcome, but Williams were going to do the same in 2019 in Azerbaijan. I don’t see why Ferrari wouldn’t handle it the same way.

Surprised they don't weld those manhood covers down. Some how I dont think some concrete bits stand much of a chance against the massive suction created by these cars. I knew this race was going to be a shit show, and it did not take long to prove that out.
Yeah, they usually weld manhood covers down.. I guess it depends if there's anything to actually weld them to

I have to say, the circuit looks significantly better than I thought it was going to/was led to believe ..
although it feels like it could almost anywhere, it doesn't really feel like it's in Las Vegas at the moment..
I'm sure it would be different if I were there in person

Is Max ruining F1? This season has been a far cry from ‘21, with very little excitement and suspense.

Max ruining F!? Only if all you care about is who wins the race.

Plenty of excitement and suspense in the rest of the field.

Apparently, it wasn't a manhole cover, but the concrete structure that holds it that was dislodged.

I just finished Brawn: The Impossible Formula 1 Story, and I thoroughly recommend it..
I remember it so vividly, It feels like it was yesterday, but it was 2009. The inside stories via all of the wonderful interviewees are brilliantly put together, although Keanu Reeves really isn't good at interviewing, however his greenness and naivety work advantageously as he is very disarming, although he does seem to have done quite a lot of homework; there were some inaccuracies in the editing but it so doesn't matter, as on the whole, as it's I really well put together documentary told over four parts.

I just finished Brawn: The Impossible Formula 1 Story, and I thoroughly recommend it..
I remember it so vividly, It feels like it was yesterday, but it was 2009. The inside stories via all of the wonderful interviewees are brilliantly put together, although Keanu Reeves really isn't good at interviewing, however his greenness and naivety work advantageously as he is very disarming, although he does seem to have done quite a lot of homework; there were some inaccuracies in the editing but it so doesn't matter, as on the whole, as it's I really well put together documentary told over four parts.
Jensen Button is the least deserving world champion since Damon Hill.

Jensen Button is the least deserving world champion since Damon Hill.

How would you rate Button, Hill, Nico Rosberg and the newlywed Jacques Villenueve?