Forums Latest Members
  1. asloper6001 May 28, 2023

Definitely entertaining! That tire clearing the wall was wild too. I always root for Grosjean...

BLOW UP likes this.
  2. fiberguy May 28, 2023

crazy last 20 laps. Never have I seen so many red flags in such a short span. Seems so odd to see the wide track racing, right after watching Monaco.

BLOW UP likes this.
  3. pbook4g5 May 28, 2023

Monaco today was meh, as expected. And I know they’ll never get rid of it, but that doesn’t mean we can’t complain about the quality of the actual racing!

Indy 500 was great! I’m glad they finished under green but question why they didn’t bring the field to red in the pits right after that last crash. They had the time to do it and it would’ve given them a green white checker finish.

Anyway, glad to see an American win the event for the first time since 2016. Newgarden is such a great ambassador of the sport.

BLOW UP likes this.
  4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 28, 2023

Just watched the very end of the 500 and again realize why I have grown to really dislike the whole series. It started I think when Michael Andretti was still racing. I absolutely do not want to see the wives cheering for them on TV.

5. pbook4g5 May 29, 2023

Why do we blame the series itself for what the tv producers do on tv?

The quality of racing in Indycar is much better than it’s been in years. I’m ok with someone saying they don’t want to watch the broadcasts because of production choices on TV, but to downright dislike the series because NBC chooses to show the wife of the winner? That’s a weird take

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 29, 2023

We? I am not royalty nor do I have a mouse in my pocket.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2023

My upcoming GP forecast is saying rain this weekend in Barcelona is becoming increasingly likely, Alonso’s 33rd in Spain? Maybe?

8. DrmexicoII May 30, 2023

I'd love to see it but it's so hard to see past red bull, even in the wet. You get the feeling the car is even faster than the current performance but they don't want to show how fast! Which I say through gritted teeth as I hate red bull, horner and verstappen... But you can't deny that Adrian Newey is a genius and the red bull outfit is top of the pack in pretty much everything at the moment. I can only hope that the red bull hoisted in the air from a crane over Monaco allowed the other teams to get a good look at the underneath of the car and give them a better chance of cracking the secret Newey code (crosses fingers and toes).

BLOW UP, pbook4g5 and marco like this.
  9. BLOW UP May 31, 2023

That view underneath was brilliant.. The sheepish look on Adrian Newey's face was priceless as it got hoisted into the air..
    Genius.. yes, he's got a profound understanding of ground effect, the venturi's etc, he was also there the first time around..
    But it looks so sleek and elegant and incredibly intricate at the same time, with strange narrowings and serifs that could only produce strange mini-vortices, and completely unexpected portals presumably leading to and from completely different parts of the car..
    It looked so different from the Mercedes that got hoisted earlier.. But I'm sure this won't be for long, as all the competitors will no doubt hone in on getting a deep understanding of these amazing intricacies..
    Perez's error could be the most costly he's ever made, but hopefully, that very brief vista of the RB undercarriage should start to bring the field closer together.

DrmexicoII likes this.
  10. BLOW UP May 31, 2023

Grosjean in IndyCar makes me nervous, especially as he's now starting to tackle the ovals.
    It's amazing to see how well Marcus Ericsson is doing, he struggled so much in Formula 1; I know the formulas are not comparable but all credit to him.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. vbrad26 May 31, 2023

Merc floor:

[​IMG]

RB floor:

[​IMG]

Mark020, BLOW UP and DrmexicoII like this.
  12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer May 31, 2023

@BLOW UP can you elaborate a bit on that? Looked at the pics for 10 mins but it looks very similar to me

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2023

The contours and folds in the rear diffuser of the RB are a lot more complex, its hard to see in some photos but when you see how the light catches it as it moves swinging from the crane, there’s this organic 3D look to it compared to the relatively plain Mercedes, especially in the rear-most section

BLOW UP, DrmexicoII and Mark020 like this.
  14. BLOW UP Jun 2, 2023

Yeah, for sure, there are actually so many differences but the most profound perhaps is the multifarious depths of the venturi's, the steppings the bottlenecking the many mini vortices that get contorted and persuaded: I'm going to put up a short video of the Red Bull underfloor analysis by Kyle Forster that I watched yesterday; he goes into detail and uses some really great 3D graphics to illustrate his theories, Kyle is not just any Tom dick or Harry, he was the Aerodynamicist with the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team, and won three back-to-back World Championships with the team, so he's an expert in his field: hope you enjoy the link:

MRC, DrmexicoII and Mark020 like this.
  15. BLOW UP Jun 2, 2023

Just a little addendum, I think the plank rate wear image comparison is also intriguing, there looks to be a significant difference in the wear patternation.

Mark020 likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2023

Aston’s got a full upgrade package except floor, the floor comes in Canada. Keen to see how that works out. Also interesting that Red Bull has a minor upgrade which they describe as being “inspired by the competition”.

17. DrmexicoII Jun 2, 2023

I.e. we've put something on the car that looks a bit like a merc / Aston / whatever part in an effort to slow us down, hide our true pace and throw the others off the scent!

18. texasmade Jun 2, 2023

Zero sidepod!!

DrmexicoII and BLOW UP like this.
  19. vbrad26 Jun 2, 2023

Speaking of sidepods...

[​IMG]

20. BLOW UP Jun 2, 2023

I am much preferred the look of the original flowing organic sculpted pods.. It's interesting that they're now battling with porpoising again, aside from the occasional bouncing issue, I thought we'd gotten rid of porpoising for good :thumbsdown: