Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2023

They’ve stolen Dan Fallows from Red Bull too, Adrian Newey’s 2IC who knows all the secrets to their car. A lot of other poachings too along with the all new factory and wind tunnel.

Losi11 likes this.
  2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Feb 26, 2023

Anyone else enjoying Drive to Survive? Enjoying spotting some fun watches. Pierre Gasly with a Cartier Santos and Yukon with a MoonSwatch

CAAD99FE-7D44-48FF-B2A8-DB6F49FAEAF9.jpeg

Albe100 and vbrad26 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2023

I didn’t even notice the MoonSwatch! I saw the Cartier on Gasly, I guess they were sponsored by Casio until 2022 then no watch sponsor from then on wards so they have to buy their own. They must be about the only on the grid having to BYO at this point.

Interestingly it looks like AlphaTauri is also up for sale given the RedBull junior program hasn’t really produced anyone the main team wants since Max. If they’re going to have to hire people like Perez it probably doesn’t make much sense any longer.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  4. Poppyboy Feb 26, 2023

Looking forward to a strong season. Unfortunately, ESPN coverage continues to be abysmal. North American races are even worse when they bring in Danica, rendering them unwatchable.

Caracal25 likes this.
  5. arturo7 Feb 26, 2023

You might want to consider a subscription to F1TV.

It's frikin awesome.

pkaye6 and Poppyboy like this.
  6. Pip Feb 26, 2023

When does the season actually start? I've decided to give F1 a go again after a several year break as I thought it had gotten a tad boring. I used to be up half way through the night to watch Australia / Japan, used to have £20 each person sweepstakes with my mates on the lap number the commentators would use the word 'marbles' and the phrase 'dirty air' and absolutely loved it; the Bus Stop in the rain was my favourite and Hill used to nail it every time. Then it just got... meh. (All imho of course). But I've been getting more and more into the intrigue of late.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2023

First race is this weekend in Bahrain!

Albe100, Jones in LA and Pip like this.
  8. Pip Feb 26, 2023

Cool, and thanks! I'll be following it from afar, and rooting for George I think.

9. johnireland Feb 26, 2023

This is a sham and a scam. It can't be considered serious testing. They used to do this stuff with test drivers a month before the real F1 drivers ever sat in the cars. This was letting paint dry and making sure the air guns worked on the tires. In the past, these cars would be hitting the track for the first race with hundreds of hours on the clock. They'd be well sorted race cars, able to run at 100%. Now, the poor fools who got suckered into buying tickets for the first three races, are just paying to watch the teams run "development" trials. May by the fourth actual race we will actually be seeing a true F1 race.

10. Poppyboy Feb 26, 2023

I don’t disagree, but isn’t every race pretty much varying levels of development for every team?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2023

Well no, for a brief period of time in the 90’s and early 2000’s it used to be like that with testing when it was less about racing and more a pissing contest between tobacco giants. Prior to the 90’s, cars broke down constantly, teams didn’t have crazy money and absolutely did not spend endless amounts of time testing, they did develop the cars during the season and in fact carried cars over several years developing incrementally.

They were never 100% sorted race cars, they were fragile beyond belief and right now we’re seeing reliability never before seen in the history of the sport.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  12. johnireland Feb 26, 2023

Not like this year. When they took away open testing, and added budget restrictions that proved to be counter productive, they destroyed F1 as the pinocle of motor sports. Now everything is dependent on simulators. But F1 shouldn't be about developing video games, we are building real machines that will be traveling at real speeds on real surfaces in a real world of constantly changing conditions. To come to the first race with a car has serious miles on it, driven by the drivers who will actually race it, then you have a real race right from the beginning. I think one of the reasons Schumacher failed when he went to Mercedes was because he no longer had the testing time that was such a part of his victories at Ferrari. After every race, he'd be back in the car on Monday or Tuesday...pushing it harder, trying new parts. Today we are evolving into eco/pc video game imitations of auto racing.

13. StudebakerHawk Feb 27, 2023

upload_2023-2-27_14-31-45.jpeg

Ascalon likes this.
  14. Ascalon Mar 1, 2023

I've a bit of a feeling that, if the Merc is any way good at all this year, that Hamilton will be fighting for one more championship.
    I reckon there will be a titanic battle between Verstappen and Hamilton, with a Ferrari and an Aston nipping at their heels.

I think Merc have a stable base now, after last year's woes and Hamilton sees one more opportunity to add to his tally before shuffling off as the GOAT.

Could be wrong, but I've stuck 20 yoyos on the nose for him to take it this year.

15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 1, 2023

They are already making excuses.
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/george-russell-six-race-deadline-mercedes/

16. Albe100 Mar 1, 2023

I think some pre-season testing should be brought back during the development of the car. If they want to make it cost effective, the teams can select the circuit in which they want to test (local circuit, or for Ferrari - Fiorano). It would help with reliability issues, and would bring back somr of that element of secrecy and anticipation for the upcoming season.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2023

Aston Martin confirming it will be Drugovich not Vettel subbing in for Lance Stroll if his wrists are still broken or whatever. It’s a bit odd how secretive they’re being with his injury, some reports that it’s two broken wrists some one, but in photos at the airport he seemed fine with neither in a cast or anything.

A0AD99BD-FB4A-4D10-80E2-BC93C02FF18B.jpeg

18. texasmade Mar 1, 2023

Maybe they know he isn't good and are just making excuses for him to save face.

19. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 1, 2023

dsio and Albe100 like this.
  20. MRC Mar 1, 2023

It ain't official until it's been officially denied!

Caracal25 and Twocats like this.