Forums Latest Members

SOLD SERVICED 1998 Omega Speedmaster X33, Gen 2, Full Set, $3000

1. Wlcutter Jun 21, 2022

The only reason this watch is on offer is that it's *much* nicer than I feel I can comfortably handle. It's not NOS, but it's really, really clean, and I'm fairly abusive to my watches, and would really like this to be in the hands of someone who appreciates its condition.

I hope the pictures do most of the talking on this--it's a really excellent example in fairly pristine shape. I'm having a hard time finding scratches or marks at all, even on the clasp, which are to be expected. There's some evidence of wear on the pushers on the right side, I guess? Again, it's not NOS, but someone took profoundly good care of this. Case, bracelet, dial, hands, crystal, caseback: nothing of note. The bezel clicks bidirectionally as you'd expect. The bracelet fits my 7.25" wrist just fine.

The watch is running fine; to be honest, it offers well more functionality than I need. The timekeeping's great, the chrono works, and the date's correct. I've not tried basically anything else, other than illuminating the dial, which also works. I'd prefer not to take off the back, for the sake of whatever water resistance it currently has, and I don't have any idea about the service history (though I suspect it must've at least had its battery replaced since leaving the factory).

The watch comes with everything pictured: outer box, inner box, extra links for the bracelet, an Omega strap with signed buckle, warranty cards (the serial matches the watch), and the instruction manual. Even all the extras are in nice shape.

Again: I love the watch, and would be glad to keep it, but this thing deserves to be in the hands of someone more cautious and careful than I am.

The price is $2500; I'm happy to work out shipping and payment method with the buyer. I have as many references as are requested, and I live in Indiana/USA. I'm obviously happy to answer any questions, and huge thanks to the mods+everyone here for such a sustaining and interesting forum. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2797.jpg IMG_2798 2.jpg IMG_2800 2.jpg IMG_2801 2.jpg IMG_2824.jpg IMG_2839.jpg IMG_2840.jpg IMG_2836.jpg IMG_2835.jpg IMG_2833.jpg IMG_2832.jpg IMG_2826.jpg IMG_2828.jpg IMG_2827.jpg IMG_2830.jpg IMG_2831.jpg

Edited Jun 23, 2022
    italy1861, blubarb, flw and 5 others like this.
  2. Wlcutter Jun 23, 2022

Obviously this is incorrectly priced; price is $2500. Thanks.

3. rcs914 Jun 23, 2022

GLWS! I think $2500 for this is extremely fair for a Gen2, and if I had gotten off my duff and sold some of the other stuff I have laying around, I may have been in the market for this. This is a very nice example.

4. Wlcutter Jul 10, 2022

Weekend bump, still available, with a new 2320 installed+keeping spot-on time.

Also: there's a missing screw in the caseback, which I'd failed to notice originally. A set of 5 of them are on order from Omega and will be installed shortly.

5. Wlcutter Aug 6, 2022

So this is the weirdest functioning watch I've dealt with in some time.

To revise the original listing, the watch is emphatically *not* working flawlessly. It's got a new battery, and, when I replaced it, it ran perfectly for a week. Then, almost exactly a week after I'd installed the battery, the analog time lost *exactly* ten minutes against the digital time. EXACTLY ten minutes--the seconds were correct, everything else was fine. I watched it for another week wondering if that would just be it, but then, the next weekend (almost exactly 2 weeks after installing a new battery), the analog time lost--again, exactly--6 hours and 20 minutes. You can see this in the picture below.

So: it's a weird, truly confusing watch. Obviously the Cal 1666 will need attention; if you know someone versed in quartz, you're in luck. If this needs to go back to Omega, they'll just replace the movement.

The price is now $2k, which reflects the condition+extras, and the fact that it's not working correctly. Please note, too, that I've had the local watchmaker order extra screws for the caseback, and those will be included.

6. Wlcutter Aug 6, 2022

7. Wlcutter Aug 24, 2022

Bump on this, and as a further update: the watch continues to function totally strangely. Once a week (overnight on Saturdays), the analog hands lose time. The rest of the week it seems to stay stable. So the watch, presently, will delight anyone interested in resetting the analog hands weekly, or someone willing to ship it back to Omega for a service/replacement of the 1666 movement. Odd indeed.

8. Wlcutter Dec 17, 2022

An update after 4 quiet months: this watch went to Biel for a service; apparently the module was not replaced, but Omega disassembled/regulated it (I don't know quartz movements enough to guess what that entails). While in service, all buttons were replaced, ditto the crown and gaskets. The original parts will be included in the sale, along with all of the extras from the listing originally—box, papers, backup bracelet, etc. etc. etc.

On the service: nothing else was done: the case was not refinished, nor was the bracelet. The only other substantive change seems to be that all of the screws on the caseback were replaced.

The price is now $3000 given the service and the 24 month warranty from Omega included with the watch. I don't know the market well enough for just-serviced Gen 2 Speedmaster X-33s; if you believe the price is too high, I'm happy to listen to reasonable and serious offers.

Thanks for looking; the watch now looks like this (which, imo, is the same as it looked before):

IMG_5223.JPG
    IMG_5225.JPG
    IMG_5226.JPG

Timetron, flw, befobe and 2 others like this.