1973 Bulova Deep Sea Chronograph "B" aka "Devil Diver"

Greetings OF,

The small sell off of my collection continues with this Bulova Deep Sea Chronograph “B” aka “Devil Diver”. This was a semi-regular wearer for me. I bought this here a couple of years ago on a whim, and now I’m hoping to pass it along for another member to enjoy.

tempImageWKxm1w.png

To Bulova fans this is an instantly recognizable reference. They don’t come up for sale that often and ones in excellent condition command some pretty high prices. This is not an excellent example, but it has its charms, and I don’t think it’s unfair to say that there’s a certain appeal to a vintage tool watch that shows its age.

The original dial is an inky, glossy black with a mostly even, spotted patina throughout and the lettering is crisp and legible. The sub dials have aged to a nice, warm tan. The second hand sweep has lost a bit of paint at the tip, but it’s mostly retained its fiery orange color. Even deterioration/darkening of the tritium lume (with some lume loss in the hour hand), but everything lights up and fades quickly after UV exposure.

The stainless steel case is a goldilocks sized 38mm. It shows it’s years of use but it appears unpolished, and the chamfers and edges on the lugs still present well. The crown is original. There is minor crazing on the crystal. I’ve done my best to show its condition in the photos.

One big caveat is the bezel. It’s well worn and pairs nicely with the watch, but it is NOT original and it does NOT turn. Also, it popped off on me one time but my watchmaker was able to refit it to the case with ease. During that visit we discussed sourcing a correct replacement bezel, but he more or less told me to forget about it.

The movement is a Bulova 14EB which is based off the tried and true Valjoux 7733. It winds and sets smoothly. Keeps good time and has a solid power reserve. I rarely use the chrono function, but I just ran it through the full 30 minute cycle and it worked as it should and reset perfectly. Service history is unknown.

I have it paired with the 20mm Hirsch strap seen in the pictures. I’m happy to include it with the watch, but it’s a little worn out.

I’m asking what I hope is a reasonable $600 reduced to $550. CONUS shipping on me. International shipping is an option. CONUS sale is preferred. Accepted payments are PP F&F or Zelle.

No returns unless I’ve grossly misstated anything here.

References here: https://omegaforums.net/search/18780519/?q=mrbreen&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space!

tempImageezsH7t.png tempImageQ2Yjb9.png tempImageQMKxGx.png tempImageGX9iyM.png tempImageqEElQZ.png tempImagepD7vP9.png tempImageuM23RT.png
tempImagegqnACx.png tempImage59PSm9.png tempImagewocRHT.png
Edited:

Bumping this for you- this is a great price for any stainless 7733 let alone a Bulova.