Forums Latest Members
  1. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

Hi All

Ive just inherited a 1968 Omega Constellation with retro fit 14ct gold bracelet.

Im trying to nail down the exact model so I can get some sense of value for insurance/sale purposes.

I suspect if I put a nice black/brown leather strap on it and sold the bracelet for scrap I might make more money if I decide to sell it.

Any information on model and value would be greatly appreciated.

upload_2022-7-19_9-18-26.jpeg

upload_2022-7-19_9-18-47.jpeg

upload_2022-7-19_9-19-0.jpeg

Omegafanman likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 19, 2022

Just guessing but I think it's a reference 166.004. You can search places like eBay to see what's being asked and what's being paid.

It looks to be in excellent condition so if you have to sell, it should command a premium. Just put a nice strap on it and enjoy it, but get it serviced first so it doesn't grind itself to death.

If you sell it, keep the bracelet and flog it for gold value and let the watch find its price.

bardamu and Mark020 like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 19, 2022

That is, if the bracelet is actually gold and not plated. If it's plated, throw it in with the watch if you sell it.

Mark020 likes this.
  4. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

thankyou - really helpful

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

Just wondering where you got the 1968 date from?
    Do you have any papers with the watch?

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

And a slight typo from @JimInOz
    He meant 168.004
    But it might just be a168.010 (A very similar watch but a couple of years younger) - hence me asking about papers and the date.
    Either way - a very nice watch.

MtV and JimInOz like this.
  7. MtV Jul 19, 2022

Condition looks to be very nice indeed. The brushed circle around the medallion is something not many of them have kept over the decades. Don't do any cosmetic work on it, maybe with the small exception of having the crystal (and only the crystal) polished.

Regarding price: In this shape, the watch without bracelet might even fetch something like 700-800€ in an eBay auction I'd say. Possibly the same in GBP if sold in the UK.

Peemacgee likes this.
  8. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

Date is based on assumption, as I know my Dad purchased it when he moved to Germany and a year later my Mum bought him the gold bracelet for his 21st (1969). No papers etc unfortunately. Im thinking about swapping the bracelet out for a nice leather strap - thoughts?

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

Ah, ok
    Watches have been known to hang around in shops for some time (years in some cases) but I'm going to stick my neck out and say, for '68, it may be a 168.010, as even a late 168.004 only made it to around '67 - and the back does look like a 168.010, plus I think it is an original crown, which just protrudes slightly on an .010
    Easiest way to tell is the spacing of the lugs.
    A 168.004 lug spacing is 18mm and the .010 spacing is 19mm.

Regarding bracelet for the strap.
    I'm hoping that from this comment that you are thinking of keeping the watch - it's a lovely heirloom from your father.
    Definitely change the bracelet for a strap - these watches look good with relatively simple, unpadded, straps in black or brown (e.g lizard texture) and even in gold cap like yours, it makes them far less dressy and more flexible as to when you can wear it.

If you do intend keeping the watch, do think about getting it serviced - and if you do, use a recommended watch repairer with strict instructions not to polish the case - if you let us know (roughly) where you are you might get recommendations from the members here for a watchmaker.
    I think the crystal has been replaced already (with a non-omega crystal) as you should be able to see the 'Swiss made' at the bottom of the dial and the retaining ring is covering it.

Edited Jul 19, 2022
    Shabbaz, JimInOz, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  10. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jul 19, 2022

@Peemacgee …visible on second pic?

@Leigh Adams …..see if you can see a small ‘omega’ letter at the centre of the crystal, might need a magnifier.

Peemacgee likes this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

I agree that part of it is but it looks like half writing and half reflection -it should be quite clear but it could just be the angle of the pic.
    Neither pics are clear enough to see any real detail and they don't 'open' to see them more clearly.

12. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

You can see the swiss made, but it does appear hidden. When you say small omega letter at the centre of the crystal - what does this mean? Sorry im a complete novice. Just measured the lug space - definitely 19mm.

13. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

does this help?

thumbnail_IMG_1140.jpeg
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

That's good - so we know its a 168.010 (the successor to the 168.004)

yes, there doesn't appear to be an omega symbol in the centre and the SWISS MADE is partly obscured - which suggests an after market crystal fitted whenever it was last serviced.

15. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

Thanks for the clarification. Im still thinking about selling it, as I will just never wear it. I have a newer aqua terra which I might sell as well and put the combined proceeds together to buy one I will wear.

16. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jul 19, 2022

17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

as additional info, for that year, it will contain a cal 564 movt with quickset date.
    To test the date function, pull the crown out one place and turn the hands to 6.30 (this is important) then carefully pull it out a second time and the date will change.
    Be careful as they can be a bit temperamental and you don't want to break it

This is a shame IMHO but everyone has their reasons and each to their own -is there no-one else in the family who would value it as a keep sake? - lots of women wear watches this size too.

If you're going to sell, don't bother with a service - you won't recoup the cost.
    Unfortunately, you can't sell here (minimum posting rules) but I'm sure there would be interest if you were to put it on Ebay.
    If I was in buying mode, I would snap this up.

So, if you are going to sell, you have a:
    Gold cap, 168.010 Omega Constellation
    Approx 1968
    Dome dial with onyx inserts
    Cal 564 movt (if that checks out as above)

Good clear pics of front back and sides.
    If you can safely take the back off to show the movt do so. -but don't scratch it!

best of luck with it.

Omegafanman and MtV like this.
  18. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

Thanks so much great advice and help. When I pull it out the crown a second time should it just move on a day on the date itself? It doesn't do that as far as I can tell.

Peemacgee likes this.
  19. Leigh Adams Jul 19, 2022

I
    I tell a lie it does!!!!

Omegafanman and Peemacgee like this.
  20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2022

The cal 564, with the quick-set date is considered by most Omega collectors as the apogee of their vintage chronometer rated movts.
    The quickset complication is considered as a bit fragile depending how it is used but all in all it is a fabulous movt.

Omegafanman likes this.