1963 Omega Seamaster Help

Hey everyone,

Just joined this forum looking to get some professional information on my watch! :-)

I purchased this watch a couple years back and have worn it couple times a week. From my knowledge and little bit of research these are the things I know about it. This is (I could be wrong) a 1963 Omega Seamaster Automatic watch with a 166.002 case, and a cal 562 movement. It still runs but there are a few things I would like to fix or look to purchase parts for and what not.

Here are the few things about it that are the bad, it runs slightly slow, so it stays on time for the most part, but after a few hours, itll be like 15 minutes off. The crown is aftermarket and very small, so winding it is very difficult. The "glass" is also not factory, and its like hard plastic, you can feel that it can be pressed inwards, since its hard plastic. Overall, the watch works, but I would like for it to work as well as possible of course. I did not open the watch, but someone who does work on watches did before, so I know the case has the 166.002 stamp on the back, as well as the Cal 526 movement.

Would love to hear anyone's insights on this watch and the best place to purchase parts etc. I am not an expert on this watch but would love to learn as much as I can. It's definitely not the most expensive watch in my collection, but it is one of my favorites, so the sentimental value of fixing it up is well worth it to me. :-)

Like 1
It does look like a 166.002 but unfortunately the case is really very poor with significant loss of gold plating. I’d caution against throwing good money after bad on this one.

Better to put the money towards a better watch
Edited:

Like 1
It does look like a 166.002 but unfortunately the case is really very poor with significant loss of gold plating. I’d caution against throwing good money after bad on this one.

Better to put th Rooney towards a better watxh
Yeah, the case is almost like a mix between rose gold and gold, just due to its age I assume. If it starts to become a money pit, makes much more sense to purchase a good condition one on eBay or here for around $800 or something. I've seen some around that price point.

The difference in colour on the case is where the gold plate layer has worn away revealing the base metal beneath.
You should be able to find a nice 166.002 for less than $800

Like 1
The difference in colour on the case is where the gold plate layer has worn away revealing the base metal beneath.
You should be able to find a nice 166.002 for less than $800

Ah yes, I see now in regards to the layer. Do you own one yourself?

Yes, not gold plate, but stainless steel.
Oh nice, if I were to look into buying some things to fix my watch, are there any recommendations for websites or places to purchase individual parts? I've seen a few vintage omega parts websites but not sure which is best.

You’re going to struggle to get parts like crowns and crystals I’m afraid. Omega no longer sells to parts houses so to get the parts you need you’re likely to have to send the watch to an Omega authorised watchmaker or reply on the open market.
Neither will be cheap, probably 50-100 for the crystal and 30-60 for the crown, which is part of what makes me say I personally wouldn’t do it. You’ll quickly spend more than the watch is worth.

Like 1
Yeah, the case is almost like a mix between rose gold and gold, just due to its age I assume.
It looks like there is also a "patina" layer on parts of the watch, probably from being in an acidic environment like a wooden drawer for a while. It gives the gold an uneven red/purplish/bluish tone...but that could also be a reflection. It's hard to tell.

Like 1
You’re going to struggle to get parts like crowns and crystals I’m afraid. Omega no longer sells to parts houses so to get the parts you need you’re likely to have to send the watch to an Omega authorised watchmaker or reply on the open market.
Neither will be cheap, probably 50-100 for the crystal and 30-60 for the crown, which is part of what makes me say I personally wouldn’t do it. You’ll quickly spend more than the watch is worth.
Thanks!

It looks like there is also a "patina" layer on parts of the watch, probably from being in an acidic environment like a wooden drawer for a while. It gives the gold an uneven red/purplish/bluish tone...but that could also be a reflection. It's hard to tell.
Interesting, yeah I'm a bit unsure of the previous owner. It's not quite purpleish/blue in person, but hiding in a drawer is definitely not out of the question for this watch's life.

I would also urge you not to invest further in this watch, which is in poor condition. These plated cases weren't made to last, unfortunately.

Like 2
Hmmm what happened to the sentimental value part? The worn out case to a collector, may as well be patina to you. I got a cheap " un collectable" Geneve that I really like, I got it serviced for peanuts by my watch maker and I'm happy with the results.

Another way to go is to start collecting spare parts, have it serviced and that way make it YOUR watch.