Posts
10,747
Likes
16,733
This came my way recently and I thought I would share it with the group. It is model 14700-1 from circa 1961-2 (18.2m serial) with the 552 movement and nicely pumpkin coloured, mostly intact radium lume.

It is not an intrinsically sought after model like the SM300s and first impressions were not super positive, see below for the best seller pic, but I took a punt and it is now freshly serviced.



All original black/gilt dial 50s and 60s Omega are rare and often messed about. Indeed I have more than once advised noobs to avoid them like the plague. This one is clearly original but heavily patinated. Back in the day this is exactly the kind of watch which would have been routinely redialled. Maybe it was chucked in a drawer and forgotten about.

What stands in its favour though is that where the black lacquer has broken down to a sort of mottled blue/grey, the brass substrate colour is coming through which works well with the gold markers and dial text. It changes colour and shade depending on the direction of light hitting it. Anyhoo I like it, but I would understand why some would prefer it glossy black and mint. More pics for your delectation or scorn.

Edited:
 
Posts
9,236
Likes
76,923
Obviously, with your knowledge and experience, you’re not asking about value and originality so, if you like it, and will enjoy wearing it - go for it 😀
 
Posts
10,747
Likes
16,733
Cheers!

Part of the initial appeal I must admit was the 8270 model 7 row BOR which will find a home on one of my dog leg Connies fairly soon. That derisked the purchase a little as had the head been a basket case at least I had the bracelet. As it is though I rather like it!
 
Posts
366
Likes
936
I like the dial. I purchased a similarly—aged dial Seamaster and gave it to my daughter a while back. I think it’s unique in the respect that it doesn’t look too cold (like SS) or too warm (like gold) if that makes sense.
 
Posts
1,206
Likes
3,646
Somehow I like it, pretty much actually - congrats 👍
 
Posts
35,645
Likes
39,895
These kind of dials were a favorite of @kyle L , he bought a lot like this that have significant but even patina, that even part is crucial because it if were only around the crown area it would just look like a damaged dial but when it’s evenly over the whole dial, it looks interesting and attractive in a way.
 
Posts
2,625
Likes
5,858
I like the watch Dave!
The dial has a very cool/vintage vibe (Hipster warning...!)
And the case, bezel etc looks great - Congrats!
🍺🍺🍺
 
Posts
3,296
Likes
9,913
Early wave dial. The sea was angry that day my friend!
 
Posts
13,518
Likes
23,454
I really like these patina’d gloss dial Seamasters, just as much as mint examples.

This is one I regret selling.

 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
Nice find, I can see why you like the dial.
 
Posts
2,623
Likes
2,802
Based on the 'sellers' photo I was going to say "45 cents". However, your better pictures make it look like a million bucks! That dial is quite sharp, and the black strap helps it out a ton.
 
Posts
10,747
Likes
16,733
Based on the 'sellers' photo I was going to say "45 cents". However, your better pictures make it look like a million bucks! That dial is quite sharp, and the black strap helps it out a ton.
Yes I agree about the strap. The bracelet is original Omega and there is a place for it, I just don't think it is on this watch and the end link gaps make me think it probably wasn't original fit.
 
Posts
907
Likes
3,818
I like the dial patina, but what really stands out to me is how well the gold hardware compliments it. Congrats!
 
Posts
2,623
Likes
2,802
Yes I agree about the strap. The bracelet is original Omega and there is a place for it, I just don't think it is on this watch and the end link gaps make me think it probably wasn't original fit.
For me (and this is a problem with a LOT of bracelet watches) it is that the bracelet 'washes out' the dial contrast wise. The black leather 'darkens' the dial by contrast, which does really good things for it.
 
Posts
3,597
Likes
7,816
The 14700 has long straight lugs which I think are too long for those endlinks. I like leather on mine, also mesh looks good.
 
Posts
13,518
Likes
23,454
For me (and this is a problem with a LOT of bracelet watches) it is that the bracelet 'washes out' the dial contrast wise. The black leather 'darkens' the dial by contrast, which does really good things for it.
That’s really interesting as I think the opposite. I often feel a leather strap, especially dark, out competes the dial and makes the dial look washed out, where’s a metal bracelet which is paler highlights the dial.
 
Posts
8,132
Likes
36,639
I like it and have a penchant for 14700's and to a lesser extent 14701's. I also find that these very late 50's and early 60s gilt dials will often develop a nice interesting patina which makes them quite satisfying to collect as they don't break the bank when they pop up.

Here's a couple I still own, one very black and the other very brown

 
Posts
10,747
Likes
16,733
The 14700 has long straight lugs which I think are too long for those endlinks. I like leather on mine, also mesh looks good.
I have a nice Dennison made, Omega branded Milanese bracelet like that which may look great. I'll try that next. Thanks.
Edited:
 
Posts
9,236
Likes
76,923
Whilst we’re on black dials …. and I don’t want to say I told you so 😉….. I don’t know why Omega black dials have a propensity to deteriorate in a way that Longines don’t.

These two are 50+ years old

 
Posts
905
Likes
1,738
It’s uniformed and consistent. Looks quite levels on the black dial so ok for me