Forums Latest Members
  1. Benbradstock Sep 11, 2019

Hi Everyone, I just scored this fun little 1967 Bulova on eBay for around $60. It looks nearly pristine in and out (look at those crisp lugs and clean movement). The only thing bugging me after receiving it is the black area on the outermost third of the minute hand. I don't suppose it's leftover black paint from a redial (dial condition is similar to that of the rest of the watch, and this watch isn't really worth the effort to refinish). Any idea what that black area is?

Bulova 1967.jpg IMG_8824.jpg IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 11, 2019

It looks like the hands would have been lumed originally, and the lume pips now appear black as well. Could be the photos, but paint seems to be climbing up the sides of the applied logo. I would guess redial. But at the price you got it for, and with the case and movement in great shape, just keep enjoying the watch!

Edit, so yes, probably dial paint on the hand

Benbradstock and michael22 like this.
  3. Canuck Sep 11, 2019

Or, a previous owner was having difficulty reading the time, so he requested someone to paint the tip of the minute hand black. With a black dial, no less. Well! Duh! Definitely not splash over from a redial! For the dial to be re-done, it must come off the movement, so the hands would have been removed.

Waltesefalcon, Benbradstock and DaveK like this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 11, 2019

I had my eye on an Atmos on auction.
    Half an eye really, as I was reading on OF how expensive servicing those clocks can be. The minute and hour hands were burnt black at the tips. Who the heck knows how or why some of things happen.

Benbradstock likes this.
  5. Benbradstock Sep 11, 2019

Yes hands were lumed originally as can be seen in the photos (And “T Swiss T” on the bottom of the dial which can’t be seen in the photos).

Interesting thought that redial paint wouldn’t logically end up on hands since the hands are removed for a redial.

I also think the comment about “who knows how or why these things happen?” is salient. Old things often contain mysteries. Still, I’ve looked at tens of thousands of vintage watches and this issue is not something I’m accustomed to seeing.

6. Professor Sep 11, 2019

Paint on the hand looks flat black instead of shiny like the face.

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. Benbradstock Sep 11, 2019

The plot thickens.

8. chronos Oct 9, 2019

As a matter of fact, many vintage Jaeger Lecoultre Atmos clocks have hands with those 'burnt looking' black tips. They are 100% original and authentic. I always thought the black tips are supposed to increase the readability as many parts of the dial and movement have the same color as the hands.
    I also own an old Atmos clock (5800) with these hands.
    B7CB1B60-8F7B-4208-A463-45CF5395E873.jpeg
    994A1DBC-B3E3-41B7-BB80-41A0FFCD1FB1.jpeg

Benbradstock, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Oct 9, 2019

I’m gonna burn the hands on my Speedy so I can read it - brilliant!!
    ::psy::

Benbradstock and DaveK like this.
  10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 9, 2019

Ha, who knew! Perhaps it would have been a good deal. The others at auction did not have burnt hands, I figured that this one had suffered at the hands (no pun intended) of some 12-year old boy who found some matches.

11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 9, 2019

Burnt watches, its the new patina.

12. JwRosenthal Oct 9, 2019

The darkened hands really do make it more readable with the gold against gold markers- it’s very clever.

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Oct 9, 2019

I don’t think it’s a redial, I have seen the creeping paint on these and Gruens of this time. Painting the top black as Canuck suggests to increase readability sounds logical. You could try to Exacto it off and hope the lume doesn’t go with it.

Benbradstock likes this.