1956 Seamaster. Original or re-dial?

Hello All,

I'm in need of some advice with this one as it has me slightly torn. Usually I can spot a re-dial a mile off however there is a tricky period in vintage omega wristwatches where numerous changes to the font style took place and I believe this watch may be one of those watches. The watch is a 1956 omega seamaster, case reference 2823-1SC and from what I've found on the Web, there aren't many pictures for reference however those which I have found do appear to resemble this one, albiet without the crosshair design.

The dial has some discolouration and the surface appears to show the signs of age that I would expect with a watch of this age. The only point which has me concerned is the S and the R of the 'Seamaster' logo - is this correct? I'm aware that earlier seamasters usually have the coat-hanger S however I've also seen this style (photographed) on late 50s / early 60s era watches too.

Any input from our experienced members would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dylan
Edited:

for me, the font corresponds to the middle of the 50's. in the 60's, Omega modified the font with a more dynamic S. all the rest of the writing conforms to the period of the watch.

This is promising news! The dial looks correct with other references I've seen of omega crosshair dials. It's always tricky for me when the flicked 'R' is thrown into the mix too. As others have said, it appears Omega couldn't quite decide what to stick with in the 1950s.

I'm not an expert on these models, but am skeptical that original dials would feature cross-hairs that extend beyond to indexes to the edge of the dial.

I'm not an expert on these models, but am skeptical that original dials would feature cross-hairs that extend beyond to indexes to the edge of the dial.
Hi Tony, that's one aspect of the dial I'm confident is correct. Every crosshair dial reference I've found from this era do extend past the indexes, its the fonts I find most challenging.

Hi Tony, that's one aspect of the dial I'm confident is correct. Every crosshair dial reference I've found from this era do extend past the indexes, its the fonts I find most challenging.

Thanks. Then who should I call to complain? :D

Thanks. Then who should I call to complain? :D
I do agree though, it would be much more aesthetically pleasing if they did stop at the indexes! :D

If it is any help, this is a 1956, 2802 I currently have which I am certain is legit.