Forums Latest Members

1952 Omega Automatic. Complete noob to vintage watches

1. JIDX Jan 4, 2020

Hello, this is my first post but I’ve been lurking for a long while. I just purchased this 1952 Omega Automatic and would like your opinions and help. I don’t care about value as I don’t intend to sell it but more the background story on it and the movement and your opinions as to it being from the era or if it’s been changed along the way. From the serial number I was able to find that it was made in 1952. I tried using the numbers from the case back on Vintage Omega but nothing came up for me. I did see that some models of this year were Seamaster models but did not have markings on the face. I don’t care much about it being one or not, but would like to know how water ressistant this model may be. I don’t plan on swimming with it, but if moisture getting in is something that I should be concerned with I would like to know. I tried searching for tips on caring for the watch but I did not find much general information as I guess that would vary by model. The watch shop that I purchased it from just did a complete service on it. Any help or information would be highly appreciated. Thank you kindly!!

340DB191-52AE-493E-B2ED-850ED0A01966.jpeg 0AEE2F16-456E-4E2D-AA61-B7FA720E732E.png 65CFB207-A1AB-408D-8C07-A683C69553E9.jpeg 49BA394D-8559-4F07-8782-402D0EBF4F2C.png
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 4, 2020

It is a US market reference G6232. It has no water-resistance, the snap back on these have no gasket and the gasket in the crown will have long ago dried up to the point of being useless.

For what its worth the case has been heavily polished and the dial is refinished.

Wear and enjoy.

JIDX likes this.
  3. JIDX Jan 4, 2020

That is my exact intention. So do I need to worry about water damage even from a splash from hand washing? Like I said I’m a complete noob to this era of watches.

4. Canuck Jan 4, 2020

The perimeter of the case back appears to me to have a gasket. But I am unable to see whether the case back is a “snap on”, or if it is threaded. Even if there is a gasket, and the case back is threaded, DO NOT assume it will be water resistant! Case tubes wear out, gaskets in crown deteriorate, acrylic crystals shrink, threads in the base metal case corrode, and all this leads to danger of water intrusion. These older calibres (calibre 351?) are obsolete, and can be very expensive to repair if you rust a bunch of parts. A complete service does NOT make a new watch out of a 70 years old vintage watch! Treat it right and it can give you pleasure for decades. OR, dam the torpedoes and full speed ahead, and you could use up what is left of your watch in two years, or less,

Spruce, padders, JIDX and 1 other person like this.
  5. JIDX Jan 4, 2020

LOL definitely not damming the torpedoes. I’m looking to care for it and treat it accordingly based on its age. So far my main concern that comes to mind is water, but you guys and gals are experts and that’s why I seek your advice. Thank you!!

6. Canuck Jan 4, 2020

Even “experts” may give you widely diverging opinions on any question you might ask. So whose opinion should you rely on? A watch that resists water under some conditions on one day, can take on water the following day because the conditions have changed. You have every reason to be concerned about water. But more than that, sudden chilling of the watch when it is at body temperature, and in the presence of snow or ice, can result in water intrusion. For a watch to be water resistant, it must be AIR TIGHT! Hermetically sealed! I don’t profess to be an “expert”, but these are my opinions.

JIDX likes this.
  7. JIDX Jan 4, 2020

I get the varying opinions comment, but the sudden chilling is something I don’t think of with my modern watches. That’s the type of information that I seek and I’m grateful for your response. Thank you!!

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 4, 2020

Show the case back...this will clear up how it’s attached. If it screws on, there will be notches for a tool. If the case back has no notches, it will be a press on back.

Cheers, Al

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 4, 2020

My bad, thinking of a different reference with similar lugs.

Wadsworth made the G6232 in two versions, a straight screw back (with notches) and a press in back with a screwed retainer ring. The issue with water resistance will be the condition of the mating surfaces of the case/back, was the gasket replaced at time of service and was it the correct type. Either of these screw cases would use a flat nitrile seal (perhaps lead originally) not an o-ring as seen in the photo. Also the condition of the case tube and whether or not a new crown of the correct type and size was fitted.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 4, 2020

US case of this era likely has 11/16" lug width, so look for vintage straps marked 11/16.

Tom

JIDX likes this.
  11. JIDX Jan 4, 2020

That’s awesome! I’d like to get a different strap, maybe matte leather. Thanks!!