Forums Latest Members

1952 (maybe) Seamaster - considering and looking for any advice

1. ramathorn Jan 4, 2020

First of all, please accept my apologies in advance for the lack of information I have at this time. Put briefly: I've coveted a watch like the following for some time and a family member who lives in a different city sent me photos of one that someone they know is looking to sell.

Accordingly, this is a watch that I'm considering and I'm primarily looking for advice on whether I should make the effort to get it in hand for a more thorough investigation, or whether there are obvious red flags. Any estimates as to a ballpark value would be great to know as well, if possible with so little info.

I've been reviewing these forums and some other websites for a few days, but am not particularly knowledgeable so I would be grateful for any information anyone can provide, no matter how elementary it may seem to the experts here.

This watch is held out to be a 1952 Seamaster. I've not found any photos that seem to match it precisely. The most common difference is the markers for that year and line tend to be pointier in the photos I've seen. It doesn't have any the obvious signs of a knock off, however such as "anti-magnetic" etc.

Thank you for taking the time to look this.

is6jbtjgpn841.jpg 8qd8bogfpn841.jpg
  2. janice&fred Jan 4, 2020

lookin good! not so sure about that crown but they can be replaced and not unusual.

3. Edward53 Jan 4, 2020

The crown is a replacement in the wrong style and the case has been severely polished. Worth holding out for something better IMO.

Sidnos likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Jan 4, 2020

While the dial does look like a correct Omega dial, the case has me stumped - I cannot recall any automatic Omegas from the fifties with a case shape like that.

I would guess that it has been put together from a couple of watches. What is the reference number?