Forums Latest Members
  1. Fahim Oct 21, 2019

Hey everyone,

Completely new here so please bare with me. If I’m posting this in the wrong place do forgive me and you’re more than welcome to move this.

I’m on the verge of paying for a Omega I found on a Swedish website and I’m curious to know what the deal is. As I didn’t feel safe paying for it before I investigated further I thought I’d turn to you knowledgeable people.

I have only recently found enormous interest in the world of watches so I really don’t know much. I understand some basics and can spot some obvious fake or Franken watches but a lot of times it seems to be beyond me.

The watch I’m on the verge of paying for is supposedly a very rare 1950s Omega watch with a two-tone dial and a 267 cal.

I found it on Tradera.com where the seller, situated in Berlin, claims that the watch is extremely rare with mainly all original parts with original movement, original crown, with a new but original crystal among some other details.

I’ve tried to search for similar models but most of them are very different. The hands made me question the whole deal. I have never seen Omega hands like this. Also I am fairly suspicious about the dial itself - looking at similar references the dial seems suspiciously unique as well. As for the movement, case etc it seems to be ok to me but I’m afraid it might be a redial.

This might be an open and shut case for most of you but definitely not for me, so any bit of advice is greatly appreciated! Don’t want to be bashing the seller without having confirmed that this is a fake / franken watch so I’ve left some information out. If you’d need more information let me know!

Worth mentioning that I won this with the bidding function of the website for about 280 euro, thought I got lucky but made me think twice before I paid for it.

Thanks a thousand in advance!

Fahim

1B09D607-9D44-42CC-A6A1-C6D20C6F7493.jpeg CFEBC30E-61D1-4344-8A4A-C42684CCA544.jpeg 119E16FB-ACF3-4BC4-BD76-755B3633DCE6.jpeg 9060BE25-9D0C-4E13-9C13-328DC8AA817A.png C27D6E29-6451-47C0-8FCF-1C7EDAB75648.jpeg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 21, 2019

Your suspicions were correct, and that's where you should have left it.

You have now entered into a contract to buy and unless the seller failed to disclose anything, you are on the hook to pay.

Not a bad looking movement though.

3. Fahim Oct 21, 2019

Thanks for such a fast response!

The seller claims it’s original - surely that’s reason enough to not being bound to pay? Especially since the website prohibits selling fake items with the claim of item not being so?

Fahim

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 21, 2019

If the seller stated that it's mostly original, "mainly original parts", I'd like to know what those exceptions are. If he's just stating the movement and crown (not sure about the crown) are original, chalk it up as a lesson. If it's implied that the dial and hands are original, I think you have an out.
    Next time, don't bid until you know what you're bidding on.

5. Fahim Oct 21, 2019

Yeah my stupidity and the eager to own a Omega watch got to me.

Looking through it I can now see they’ve been extremely cheeky with the description. I suppose that’s how you learn.

Here’s what the seller typed. Surely the part where it states “orig. case.../ dial” is a claim of the dial being original?

“An RARE and searched 2-tone dial 1950s OMEGA...gents.....with nice dial - ...Lovely genuine Omega with Omega Caliber 267... original, handwound-movement with new crystal orig. case.../ dial good,

Original stainless-steel case good condition....with black and golden Indicies and silver hands ....rare and searched original OMEGA-crown ....Omega-movement orignal OMEGA Cal. 267 , 17 Juwels... clean and running correct...came with an black new leatherband/ crocograin- see pictures !

... ...new and unused black -leatherband

Omega/Swiss Made signed on = case,dial,movement,crown“

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 21, 2019

Sorry, I think you're on the hook for the watch. The seller specifically places "original" before case and crown and is not so specific about the hands and dial. Your only potential save is the crown but there will be others more knowledgeable who will be able to answer the crown question.

Fahim likes this.
  7. Fahim Oct 21, 2019

Thanks so much to both of you!

I’ll wait and see if I can get some more help from people around here. Will see what I do about the situation, like you say - I might be hooked with this. Hopefully someone might shed some more light on the situation.

8. jeppehh Oct 21, 2019

9. ConElPueblo Oct 21, 2019

Just ask the seller if he'll agree to cancel the sale. Often people are open to this; there will be someone around later one who'll buy it anyway.

felsby likes this.
  10. amcclell Oct 21, 2019

I have seen several watches where the seller states original dial, when it has been clearly repainted. The actual metal disc may be original even though it was refinished.

Rochete and DaveK like this.
  11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 21, 2019

i.e. "The original dial is still there -- it's just hidden beneath the new paint."

12. Rochete Oct 22, 2019

How could you bid for a watch with those hands? :whipped:

13. Claven2 Oct 22, 2019

Honestly, for the price, with a new set of hands it would be a handsome watch. Any independent with an omega parts account can get you hands that are a much better match.

But then, I like the slimness of the hand wound omegas.

Spruce likes this.
  14. amcclell Oct 23, 2019

I agree - I have a couple of 30T2's and a 269. These are fantastic watches. If the price was good, don't worry about the dial. Have a watchmaker put silver leaf hands on it and enjoy it. It will look great and serve you well.