Forums Latest Members
  1. watchwatcher7 Jan 10, 2022

I have an 18k gold watch that appears to have been made in the period between 1946 and 1949 based on the serial # (starts with 135). This is consistent with the history of the watch as it was given to my grandfather in November 1951. The model # is 112140 and the first three numbers are consistent with the standard model numbers at UG. The first "1" indicates that it is an 18k gold case, the second "1" indicates that it is a time only watch, and the third number ("2") indicates the calibre (either 281, 283, or 481). The final three numbers would suggest that the case design was a "140".

It was given to my grandfather (who lived in Newton Massachusetts) by the husband of a patient of his. Frustratingly, my father (who tends to hoard lots of useless things) did not hold onto the links when he had the bracelet downsized for his wrist. Now I would like to expand it for my larger wrist and I may have to have the links custom made and it could be quite expensive.

I am curious if anyone would be able to 1) identify the watch beyond what I have discovered 2) provide any supporting documentation for it (or point me in the right direction), and 3) tell me if they have ever come across a bracelet like this one that I could cannibalize. If not, I am wondering if someone might be able to refer me to a jeweler who I could trust to make extra links for the bracelet. I am in Pennsylvania but I go to Boston, New York City and Philadelphia periodically.

IMG_4272.jpg IMG_4271.jpg IMG_4270.jpg IMG_4269.jpg
    Woops likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 10, 2022

Talk to RGM.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 10, 2022

Personally I’d park the bracelet, get it serviced and put it on a nice strap.

timoss likes this.
  4. watchwatcher7 Jan 10, 2022

The point of owning this watch is actually specifically that it is as unaltered as possible (playing into the nostalgia part of it being a family heirloom). On the rare occasions that I do wear it, I would rather wear it the way my grandfather wore it even though my style tends to be more understated.

Also, who is RGM?

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 10, 2022

RGM Watch Co. Mount Joy PA. They make fine watches and do restoration..

6. Burr Jan 10, 2022

Try reaching out to Rolliworks about the bracelet, while they’re typically more well known for their work on rolex bracelets, it could be worth a call since its one of the few shops that are consistently recommended for bracelet repairs/restoration/etc.

Larry S likes this.
  7. watchwatcher7 Jan 10, 2022

Wow! Two really great referrals. Thanks!

8. Mazoue Jan 10, 2022

I can't help with the bracelet but your interpretation of the reference number is not quite right - I think that decoding only works for chronographs. It won't be a cal 281, 283 or 481 as they are movements for chronographs.

I'm not absolutely sure but I suspect it will be a manual wind cal 262.

Larry S, Mark020 and bgrisso like this.
  9. watchwatcher7 Jan 10, 2022

Ahh yes. I see my error. I assume I can get the final answer when I open it up then? It is in fact a manual wind.

10. bgrisso Jan 10, 2022

yes extremely likely to be a cal 262

11. Burr Jan 10, 2022

You’re welcome! Keep us updated if you can, would be good to know if you’re able to get the desired work done on the bracelet for future reference — the members on this forum are constantly finding great watches that need a little fix.

12. Woops Jan 11, 2022

I think this watch has certainly found a safe custodian. I commend the OP on sourcing some information themselves and trying to put the puzzle together.

This approach is far preferable to the "How much???????" one line drive-by enquiries and accordingly garnered a number of helpful responses here. I hope you enjoy that lovely piece for years to come.

bgrisso and Larry S like this.
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 11, 2022

A few things:

1. The hour hand of your watch has been replaced at some point in its life. Probably many decades ago during a service.
    2. The dial looks to be nice and original (as it was when sold almost a century ago).

If you can manage to remove the caseback and photograph the movement and inner side of the caseback, we can tell you a lot more. I wouldn't recommend you do this yourself if you've never done it before to avoid risking damage. Maybe go to your local watchmaker. They might do this for free.

I have attached a (shitty) photo of a watch with identical dial and correct (leaf) hands.

Your watch is beautiful and I'm glad your family will cherish it.

1940s-UNIVERSAL-GENEVE-ANTIQUE-WATCH-GOLD-PLAQUE-18k.jpeg