Forums Latest Members
  1. Adam Weinstein Oct 13, 2012

Hi...I have the Omega Constellation (below). It's in good condition with a solid gold bracelet. The watch is too flashy for me to wear, so I'm considering just selling the bracelet for scrap and putting a leather band on it. Any recommendations? The watch works perfectly, so I hate to start breaking it up and selling pieces if it's more valuable as is. Thanks for any advice. 2012-10-13 09.28.38.jpg 2012-10-13 09.28.47.jpg 2012-10-13 09.29.07.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

Don't even consider scrapping that!! That's a brilliant watch and a nice original bracelet!

3. Adam Weinstein Oct 13, 2012

The watch was given to me by my grandfather, so it's hard to part with it--but then again, it's not something I could ever wear. I thought maybe if I replaced the band it would suit me a little better, but maybe I should just sell it? What might a watch like that sell for?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

I'd have to let some of the other guys make that call, but there is some money in them, considerably more than they scrap out for.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

The bracelet is very rare and certainly valuable well in excess of melt. The problem our poster has is that there are very few collectors out there who know it's avaliable for purchase.

My advice would be to get a quote from a gold buyer for scrap value, then put a reasonable premium on that number. Post it in the Sales Forum here and on other vintage watch fora. If you don't get a bite, then at least you can say you tried.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

Take some better quality pictures first, but don't polish it, it does more harm than good. Then yea, place an ad here for either the bracelet or the watch, you may even get an offer from someone before that, there are a few guys on here that are fans of the C-Case

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

BTW, if you choose to go with a strap, keep in mind these watches use 19mm lug spacing, so that's what you're going to want to look for.

8. Adam Weinstein Oct 13, 2012

Thanks for your advice! I'll get it appraised by a gold dealer and post more later on.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

What you can actually do is just take the bracelet off, weigh it on its own, and multiple by 0.75 to get the actual gold weight, then multiply by gold price, that's the same thing the dealer will do, only he'll probably be far less gentle since he wants to melt it anyway.

10. flame Speedmaster Neil Oct 13, 2012

Hi

Take the BCT off if you prefer it that way & put it on a suitable Omega strap....but don't sell the BCT ! Gold is going one way & is a sound investment in your safe (imho)....it's worth much more than the cashed out value.

This fantastic piece & rare (1of 200) used to have the matching BCT , but it had 'stretch' and was smelted for it's gold content by the previous US owner.....which is such a shame :mad:

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

Hey Neil, we actually had a member not too long ago with that same watch in 18K with the original bracelet if you do a search. Looked absolutely amazing

12. flame Speedmaster Neil Oct 13, 2012

Hi Ash

The only other one I have heard of was owned by a Plastic Surgeon....he wanted a battery change done by Omega UK , but wanted it done there & then and also advised he wore it for his daily swim !

Best - Neil

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 13, 2012

Be careful when you use the term "appraisal" with a jeweler. They may give you an insurance appraisal which would be much higher than melt value.

You want to know what they will pay you for it that day. Then you can figure out what you would really like out of it, and price it accordingly.

gatorcpa

15. flame Speedmaster Neil Oct 13, 2012

Yep , a MEGAquartz indeed....my one was boxed , Extract of Archives and had a £900 Omega UK (STS) service....now residing with an Oil rig worker in Aberdeen.

Anyway, apologies to the OP....keep the BCT and wear it on a strap.

Best - Neil

16. Jacquot Oct 13, 2012

Sell the whole package (here) or wear it proudly, that's my advice. I bought my SS C Case without a bracelet, and likely it was originally sold with leather, but SS is different anyway. It has the original finish still, and I'll definitely keep that as well for now. You might regret selling it, personal tastes change... If I were you, I'd keep it and be careful about how to care for it, get it serviced. Don't know your situation, but someone down the line might really like it.

17. Jacquot Oct 13, 2012

BTW, we recently inherited a couple of pretty rare watches--his and hers--that are not just current style, but we'll never part with them, and probably wear them a couple of times a year (I will). Tastes have changed, and will again, too. When you get to appreciate what you have, you'll see it differently. They will stay in the family, too, from the 30's. It also means a lot that they stay either original or restored by the maker. When you think what they're worth, well, it won't go far, it ain't the lottery, wear it.

SpikiSpikester likes this.