1680/8 can we please criticize the hell out of this...

Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
I can’t tell if hands and dial are original.
Can someone with this reference weighs in.
Looking to sell my spare kidney for this.
Thanks guys.
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
You are correct. It is indeed 16808. I was also looking at 1680/8. Amateur mistake.
Do you think the dial and hands are original?
 
Posts
1,441
Likes
3,809
Do you have a serial number or inside casebook pic? Text at bottom of the dial and date wheel look unusual to me
Edited:
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
It’s R7***** serial number, I’m told around 1987. They won’t open case back.
Purchase will be with protected form of payment.
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
No, a consignment shop. 14 days return policy.
What are the issues you are seeing?
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
The “S” in Submariner is also different font. Can we conclude dial isn’t original?
Edited:
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
Good eyes. I need to play Find Waldo with my kids more.
 
Posts
1,441
Likes
3,809
R7 is a VERY late serial for the nipple dial but not completely impossible and surprising if it is less than 16-18K USD. It might be worth purchasing assuming you can authenticate elsewhere. Look at movement, serial/ref fonts between the lugs and uniformity of lume plots on the indexes and lume on hands. don’t get your hopes up though
 
Posts
2,012
Likes
3,409
Looks to be font differences between those two dials (and the bezel) - one has serif while the other is sans serif.

Any luck searching images for similar dials?
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
I’ve found two on other forums. Others suggested not original. Possibly a replica dial.
 
Posts
2,442
Likes
4,231
I’ve found two on other forums. Others suggested not original. Possibly a replica dial.
To my knowledge, no one has succeeded in replicating the nipple dial. People on the replica forums who are building a watch start with a genuine nipple dial and use fake cases, movements, etc. And here's a photo of a "purple nipple dial" replica--kind of laughable:

 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
Do you have a theory why the font difference?
 
Posts
269
Likes
200
I’ve seen this watch as well listed at $16,995. My concerns were the lugs are polished quite a bit where the top left spring bar pokes out. To find a gold oyster bracelet will be quite pricey. I also have not seen a 16808 nipple dial with the T SWISS T like this example before.
 
Posts
1,517
Likes
8,284
It’s a fake dial. The 12 o’clock marker is also misaligned.
 
Posts
26
Likes
24
Don't even care if this is real or fake....I NEED this! Too beautiful