Forums Latest Members

Quartz bothers the hell out of me. Should it?

1. Mr Bing Apr 20, 2016

OK, so I've got the chance to purchase a gorgeous looking watch - a Heuer 980 006L.

I'm not a huge fan of modern Tags but this variant had an extremely short shelf life, appearing in 1985, just months before Heuer became TAG Heuer.

Here's a pic, although not the watch in question:

image.jpeg

Now this watch ticks all the boxes for me. The piece I have a chance at has aged gracefully, has a lovely patina and is more rugged than the one shown above (in a good way). Size is perfect, it looks beautiful and I've fallen slightly in love.

There's a drawback....it's a ::censored:: Quartz! I love my watches, I wouldn't be here if I didn't, but I have a strong dislike for all things Quartz. I just love the romance of those cogs and wheels and the knowledge that the watch is putting in a shift.

So, yeah, this poses a bit of a problem. Love the watch but if ticks ffs!

I see a lot of watches in my line of work. I'm no snob but I might see a watch on a guys wrist which looks nice on the surface. Then I'll notice the ticking second hand and think, 'What a piece of shit, it's got a battery in it'. Wrong, I know.

So I'm just wondering if I can get past this. Anybody else who's been in a similar position? Have you bonded with a battery operated watch?

Or maybe I'm making a fuss about nothing.

Cheers

Paul

2. abrod520 Apr 20, 2016

They made those with automatic movements too. IMO that's the only answer I'd need

3. Mr Bing Apr 20, 2016

Agree totally, finding one is another story.

4. abrod520 Apr 20, 2016

Set yourself up a WatchRecon alert / eBay alerts, and try posting a WTB over at Chronotrader - I've seen a couple come and go

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 20, 2016

Quartz just doesn't do it for me. Outside of a lone Seiko quartz dress watch which was a gift and which has sentimental value, I have only mechanical watches which are all most gratifying to own and wear.

That Heuer watch shown is a knock-out. The quartz movement feature would be the source of buyer's remorse for me though, every time I saw the twitch of the second hand.

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

I recently bought a killer vintage diver in quartz...it lasted a day before it was back on the market.

I just couldn't do it. I think if you buy it, the same thing will happen to you.

7. arkstfan Apr 20, 2016

Think you answered your question with the subject line. Quartz bothers the hell out of you.

No. You shouldn't spend the money

8. Egatdagi Apr 20, 2016

I'm from the generation that remembers when quartz watches replaced mechanical watches. As a pre-computer era kid, quartz watches and digital watches were the coolest things ever. They were the future and it was exciting. I spent HOURS playing pong on our Telstar and reliving Star Wars battles with my first generation figurines. I guess what I have is a warm, fuzzy nostalgia for quartz watches. Mechanical watches were my Dad's generation and as I've aged I've begun to appreciate my Dad's world more so I'm more and more interested in vintage automatics but I will never turn down a quality quartz movement.

edit: I forgot to mention how pre-quartz Accutrons were mythical creatures to my elementary school brain.

melsman, Northernman and ahartfie like this.
  9. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 20, 2016

I have no large anti-quartz bias. I love my vintage mechanical watches. That being said, once I bought an Omega Megaquartz 32 back in February from another forum member, it's barely left my wrist. I love its chunky 70s looks, shape, and size. It's still an Omega. No, it doesn't have the gorgeous sweep second hand - but if I want that one day, I can wear my f300.

I guess what it comes down to is does your dislike of quartz overpower the risk that you might never find an automatic version?

10. trama Apr 20, 2016

I've had some great quartz beaters (in the 80s and 90s). They put up with some decent abuse and kept great time. Until they didn't, and then they were thrown away. Now I don't collect, I use and reuse, try to repair, and try to grow extra super fond of my watches. I don't see any quartz characters making it onto my wrist anytime soon.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  11. rbob99 Apr 20, 2016

I think you will regret the purchase, since quartz bothers you and it is, after all, a quartz.

12. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2016

Battery powered IC chips programmed to keep time while looking like men's jewelry, that's what quartz watches are. They're technology, not horology. A crying shame too, because if you put decent hands on it (broad arrow or sword) and an ETA inside that would be a KILLER watch. Those Mercedes hands make it a Submariner homage / knock-off watch, and combining that with a quartz caliber takes it down to the depths of the abyss.

LawBrk likes this.
  13. Egatdagi Apr 20, 2016

You're right of course. Quartz was all about technology. We also embraced other advances in technology like push button phones over rotary dial. Pocket calculators over slide rules. I think slide rules are cool. I don't know how to use one but they're cool.

Northernman likes this.
  14. Egatdagi Apr 20, 2016

My biggest problems with quartz is batteries. I have three watches that aren't working because I need to change the batteries. I wish I could just give them a little shake.

15. tyrantlizardrex Apr 21, 2016

I bought a near NOS 38mm model... It lasted a month.

Don't do this to yourself!

edit:

I'm not sure it was to do with the movement either. The watch itself just didn't feel special enough.

If you love it... and I do mean love... not like a bit, and will probably go of it... buy it.

Otherwise. no.

Edited Apr 21, 2016
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2016

IMO no true collector would rule out owning a watch simply because it has a quartz movement, or uses a battery. Obviously many here disagree.

Only you can decide if this is something you can get past.

Cheers, Al

17. dx009 Apr 21, 2016

Vintage Quartz Tag Heures are beautiful and good quality. I wouldn't mind one, however, I too, would prefer an automatic which they also made.

18. tyrantlizardrex Apr 21, 2016

Until they fail. And you discover that there is no parts availability for the early movements, and the later ones are "fixed" by exchanging a whole movement if you can find one.

19. lillatroll Apr 21, 2016

If you don t love it, don t buy it. I don't think there is any point in parting with your hard earned cash if something about the watch is going to bug the crap out of you.
    I have an Omega megaquartz 32hz and I love it. I would kill you with your own shoes if you tried to take it from me. I also have a few f300s which are not technically quartz watches but they do need a battery. I am sure anyone familiar with the f300 will know they use tuning fork technology for the basis of running the movement. This technology was developed by by Bulova and used by several watch companies. Thie same technology was also used in instruments in space rcokets and satellites.

Edited Apr 22, 2016
  20. dx009 Apr 21, 2016

That can also be a possibility as well, I guess. But a quality and REAL quartz movement can still have chance of resurrection, unlike those cheap and tiny quartzes. :)