Forums Latest Members

168.010 Constellation - What are the correct end-links and bracelet?

1. Redsh1r7 Apr 25, 2019

Hi guys,

A few years a go my father gave me this watch that was given to him by his grandparents to mark their 50th wedding anniversary (hence the engraving). My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th this year which got me thinking that it would be nice to have this heirloom properly serviced and returned to it's former glory!

According to my Dad (who hardly ever wears a watch) it originally came with 'some weird looking band' that was replaced with an expansion bracelet. I assume that he's talking about a 'beads of rice' bracelet that is, unfortunately, long gone. Searching on this forum would indicate that it's likely 555 end-links with a 1037 bracelet, is it possible to confirm that with some sort of 'official omega' resource? There are stamps on the case that it's 14kt filled. [edit: the stamp says 585, It's gold capped as per Peemacgee]

The serial number is 25728xxx. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 26, 2019
  2. snunez Apr 25, 2019

IMO, it would look a bit odd to have a gold watch on a SS BoR. It looks just fine with leather. The metal bracelets were aftermarket add-ons, put on by the original seller, so it is nearly impossible to tell what bracelet would have been there as sold.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 26, 2019

Welcome @Redsh1r7
    Very nice Constellation.
    I see you have at least some of the original papers with the watch.

Do the papers state it is a 168.018?
    With the dial configuration, case back style and recessed crown, it looks very much like a 168.010.

Do you have pictures of the case markings saying 14k gold filled?
    These watches are gold capped not filled -an altogether different (and higher quality) process.

19mm BORs don’t come up very often and gold plate versions even less so.

Redsh1r7 likes this.
  4. Woodward Apr 26, 2019

According to an old reference list I have:
    Bracelet 1068 with endlinks 527, if it is a 168.010 (I lean towards this because of the slightly longer horns, but it's only a guess).
    Bracelet 1068 with endlinks 555 if it is indeed a 168.018.

1068 is the 19 mm equivalent of the 18 mm 1037. Try Ebay, every now and then something turns up :)

Lucasssssss likes this.
  5. Lucasssssss Apr 26, 2019

Is this the reference list which Michael e posted, or do you have another? If the latter I would love to see it.

6. Woodward Apr 26, 2019

Couldn't remember where I had it from, but yes - it is the one from Michael E.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  7. Adb_85 Apr 26, 2019

Here's a pic of my SS 168.018 for reference trying to narrow the correct model number down

IMG_35572.jpg

Woodward likes this.
  8. Redsh1r7 Apr 26, 2019

Unfortunately I only have a generic Omega Constellation booklet, nothing specific to this watch. It's still a neat thing to have.

I had assumed that it was a 168.018 based on the stamp inside the case back. The last digit looked like an 8 to me... but it might also be a 0... Based on the what I was told there were multiple watches given out at the time with the same engraving. I could certainly imagine a scenario where the jeweler didn't put the correct case back on the watch.

[​IMG]

I'll have to take a look again.

You're likely correct about it being capped - With the naked eye I could have sworn this stamp said '14K'. A super zoomed picture with my cell phone makes it obvious that it says 585.

[​IMG]

I appreciate the great info, I'll have to open it back up to confirm if the last digit is a 0 or 8.

9. Redsh1r7 Apr 26, 2019

10. Lucasssssss Apr 26, 2019

Redsh1r7 likes this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 26, 2019

Looks like an 0 to me not an 8
    (and everything else about the watch says so too ;))

That’s an unusual stamp on the lug - never seen one of those before - do you know where the watch was originally sold?

Anyone else got one of these on their gold-capped Connie?

You definitely need a service as that’s some pretty heavy rotor rub you have there.
    If you give folks a rough idea of where you are you should get some recommendations for a suitable watch maker.
    NO polishing of that fine case.

Redsh1r7 likes this.
  12. Redsh1r7 Apr 26, 2019

The watch was likely sold in the Netherlands, probably Tilberg.

I'm located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada - and definitely interested in hearing peoples watch maker recommendations!

13. OmegaGeneve Aug 12, 2020

Interesting, here in the Netherlands we have a lot of 14k solid gold watches and jewelry. Rings etc will not dent as quickly. But this 585 gold content (14k) i have not seen on plated watches. It must be a thick enough layer Of gold cap to be considered solid gold to be stamped like that. Nice

14. ConElPueblo Aug 12, 2020

I haven't seen one in person, but there have been at least three or four others shown on OF. Certainly not very common!

15. Redsh1r7 Aug 13, 2020

Since this thread got resurrected - I might as well provide an update!

The watch was serviced locally and I had them keep everything as original as possible (except a new mainspring).

As people alluded to earlier the thread the 1068 bracelet wasn't easy to source. I found a pretty decent one out of the Netherlands (need to keep it geographically correct, right?). The clasp was obviously 'tweaked' a few times to insure it stays closed but the gold plating on the whole bracelet was in really good shape. I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement/donor clasp.

The 527 endlinks were found on Ebay pretty easily after I got the bracelet.

What good would this post be without a picture?!

168.010 Wristshot.jpg

16. gbesq Aug 13, 2020

It cleaned up very nicely and I like the bracelet. Glad that you're keeping this heirloom in the family. Wear it in good heatlh.

VintageOmegaLove likes this.