168.005 dial auth check

Posts
10
Likes
2

Hi i wanted to check this 168.005 if the dial looks original. I’m not sure if the minute markers are too far from the facets but I’ll leave it to the experts here! Thank you!
 
Posts
905
Likes
1,738

Hi i wanted to check this 168.005 if the dial looks original. I’m not sure if the minute markers are too far from the facets but I’ll leave it to the experts here! Thank you!
I’ll leave it to the experts to say but I did notice what looks like the 5 minute print markers don’t line up with the applied index centre.
 
Posts
3,621
Likes
7,885
The minute markers should be closer to pie pan edge and the 5 min markers should touch the metal indices. The OP example is way off. Redial IMO
 
Posts
10
Likes
2
The minute markers should be closer to pie pan edge and the 5 min markers should touch the metal indices. The OP example is way off. Redial IMO
thank you all for confirming! It’s just so hard to find untouched pie pan dials. I seem to have better luck finding original domed dials instead.
 
Posts
905
Likes
1,738
thank you all for confirming! It’s just so hard to find untouched pie pan dials. I seem to have better luck finding original domed dials instead.
It is, but one thing I have learned from my time here is that patience is the key. Oh and always check first….
 
Posts
434
Likes
1,072
The lugs on this watch would also disqualify it for me.
 
Posts
10
Likes
2
The lugs on this watch would also disqualify it for me.
Yeah lugs are definitely super worn out
 
Posts
6,787
Likes
10,443
From a distance, this dogleg dial looks to be ok.

However, no Constellation had such a stark sunburst finish - the original finish has been stripped off leaving the dial you see today.

Plus, if you zoom in on the upper text you will see that, whilst it does closely approximate the original style, the font/lettering isn't quite correct and looks thin and of lower quality than the original printing - and the 5 min marks vary significantly in quality.

The case is also toast and has almost lost its dogleg lugs altogether.
 
Posts
10
Likes
2
From a distance, this dogleg dial looks to be ok.

However, no Constellation had such a stark sunburst finish - the original finish has been stripped off leaving the dial you see today.

Plus, if you zoom in on the upper text you will see that, whilst it does closely approximate the original style, the font/lettering isn't quite correct and looks thin and of lower quality than the original printing - and the 5 min marks vary significantly in quality.

The case is also toast and has almost lost its dogleg lugs altogether.
Thanks! I’m curious to learn more about the quality of the typical sunburst finish. And did this sunburst finish apply the same way to domed connies?
 
Posts
6,787
Likes
10,443
Some 1960s Constellations did have a sunburst finish - both pie pans and dome dials.
Imagine the dial above with a paint and lacquer finish - the effect would be subtle and sophisticated.
 
Posts
10
Likes
2
I'm looking at one of my domed connies and I guess I've never noticed the level of sunburst finish. My domed connie definitely has a more subtle finish and cannot make out those sunburst lines. Whereas for this example in question I can clearly see the radial streaks even from a non-zoomed in picture that was presented in the listing.

Appreciate all the insight as always.