145022-74 step down and dial

The lume has been washed/scrapped off the dial.

Better pics and serial would be helpful but missing lume is not a good start

It's been listed on eBay 3-4 times already and "Sold".
It seems like the seller keeps on re-listing and bidding on his own auction, and winning it. (Or he has an extremely unfortunate streak with 3 non-paying bidders in a row... 😗)
Some people just can't understand that they have a poor example of a watch and it won't sell anywhere close to what they're expecting...

It's been listed on eBay 3-4 times already and "Sold".
It seems like the seller keeps on re-listing and bidding on his own auction, and winning it. (Or he has an extremely unfortunate streak with 3 non-paying bidders in a row... 😗)
Some people just can't understand that they have a poor example of a watch and it won't sell anywhere close to what they're expecting...

I thought that I'd seen these pictures before somewhere...

I want to see the serial and the caseback.

I think they exist... I’m just trying to prove it for sure.

The official line from the 2 sources that are considered the Bible on these is that they are not wrong, but won’t conclusively say they are correct.

I want to see the serial and the caseback.

I think they exist... I’m just trying to prove it for sure.

The official line from the 2 sources that are considered the Bible on these is that they are not wrong, but won’t conclusively say they are correct.

This eBay watch is only 72 serials apart from this one I sold last year:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...4-stunning-step-dial-1171-633-bracelet.96668/

And 493 serials apart from this one I sold two years ago:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1975-omega-speedmaster-145-022-74-step-dial-1171-633-bracelet.82454/

145.022-74 with a step dial definitely do exist and are correct in this serial number range (35.57X.XXX)
Edited:

From speedmaster 101 "For me the more attractive is the watches with the stepped dial, which is seen in the -71 and sometimes in the -74. I am not sure if it is original or added at service, but certainly by the -76 the step has gone and definitely all gone by -78. These later dials are slightly domed, not flat like the MKII dials."

Its weird that Omega assembled watches with 31xxx.xxx serial number with non step dial and later serial with step dial ( Ok Omega was messy but jeez ).
The explanation that step dial it might have been added in a service makes more sense, in my view.

From speedmaster 101 "For me the more attractive is the watches with the stepped dial, which is seen in the -71 and sometimes in the -74. I am not sure if it is original or added at service, but certainly by the -76 the step has gone and definitely all gone by -78. These later dials are slightly domed, not flat like the MKII dials."

Its weird that Omega assembled watches with 31xxx.xxx serial number with non step dial and later serial with step dial ( Ok Omega was messy but jeez ).
The explanation that step dial it might have been added in a service makes more sense, in my view.
There is no way a service step dial was added later on an 861. There are no service dials for 861’s. They just received whatever the current production dial was. These dials had shelf life’s due to tritium. No -76 left the factory with a step dial, and only very very early -74 would have had it.

Lemme know if you want me to open my step 74 to add to the serial number list?

There is no way a service step dial was added later on an 861. There are no service dials for 861’s. They just received whatever the current production dial was. These dials had shelf life’s due to tritium. No -76 left the factory with a step dial, and only very very early -74 would have had it.
So let me get this straight:
Omega from when they start to produce the 74 doesn't use any step dial, not even for the early serial like 32/33xxx xxx and then in the middle of 74 cicle, They decide to put in some 74 a step dial that have not been used in years that was left somewhere,

That is what are you trying to say right? Because it doesn't make any sense not even for Omega.
It more plausible that the 74s never left Omega with that dial and that they were replace in their early life with a step dial, don't you think?

This eBay watch is only 72 serials apart from this one I sold last year:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...4-stunning-step-dial-1171-633-bracelet.96668/

And 493 serials apart from this one I sold two years ago:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1975-omega-speedmaster-145-022-74-step-dial-1171-633-bracelet.82454/

145.022-74 with a step dial definitely do exist and are correct in this serial number range (35.57X.XXX)

Thanks for your contribution to this, @ndgal, very valuable! Did you by any chance obtain extracts for these watches? I’d be curious to learn whether these might have been produced earlier than one might think.

Omega is known not to use movements in exact serial number order. Perhaps that’s a factor of influence here?

Personally, I find it hard to believe that these step dials are service. There are too many of them found in a short serial range as @ndgal demonstrates. In addition, what’s the likelihood of a step dial, which is likely an older dial, to end up in a newer watch?

It is known Omega has taken things lightly when it comes to details, especially in the late 60s and early 70s when the Speedmaster became the Moonwatch, in the wake of the quartz crisis.
Edited:

Omega from when they start to produce the 74 doesn't use any step dial, not even for the early serial like 32/33xxx xxx and then in the middle of 74 cicle, They decide to put in some 74 a step dial that have not been used in years that was left somewhere,

That is what are you trying to say right? Because it doesn't make any sense not even for Omega.
It more plausible that the 74s never left Omega with that dial and that they were replace in their early life with a step dial, don't you think?
Welcome to the issue...

I am trying to figure it out. I have pretty much sorted the -76 dial change and have a firm date for the change. My list of -74's is not complete enough to draw any conclusions. It is an issue that no one that provides definitive answers is really answering.

I'll help you "Get this straight":

Here is a 145.022-74 that is only 72 serials apart from the OP (eBay) watch discussed here.
As you can see, it has a step dial. Serial number: 35.579.XXX.
April 18, 1975 production:

Here is a 145.022-74 that is only 493 serials apart from the OP (eBay) watch discussed here.

Here is a 145.022-74 that is 1161 serials apart from the OP (eBay) watch discussed here.
As you can see, it does not have a step dial anymore. Serial number: 35.581.XXX.
September 24, 1975 Production.

So if we look at these examples (including the eBay watch) we can conclude that the step dial goes away in the 3rd quarter of 1975, and around the 35.58X.XXX serial number range.

Now here is a 145.022-74 with a lower serial number: 31.009.XXX
As you can see, it does not a step dial.
And a later production date of November 28, 1975:

And to explain that clusterf@#k, you should read this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-145-022-74-a-puzzle.92931/
Edited:

Great contributions, @ndgal. This is why I find the -74 such an interesting subreference. They are so goofy! Still lots to figure out.

@ndgal I'll add those to my DB.

It is starting to look like maybe the made an ordering error on a late batch dials in 74 from Singer. It fits, and we all know the service dials for the 321's are all over the place with random features.

Here is a 145.022-74 that is only 72 serials apart from the OP (eBay) watch discussed here.

Here is a 145.022-74 that is only 493 serials apart from the OP (eBay) watch discussed here.
Here is a 145.022-74 that is 1161 serials apart from the OP (eBay) watch discussed here.
As you can see, it does not have a step dial anymore. Serial number: 35.581.XXX.
I cannot find the image of the extract of this one, but it also had a production date from around mid 1975 (May, I believe):

So if we look at these examples (including the eBay watch) we can conclude that the step dial goes away in around mid 1975, and around the 35.58X.XXX serial number range.

Now here is a 145.022-74 with a lower serial number: 31.009.XXX
As you can see, it does not a step dial.
And a later production date of November 28, 1975:

And to explain that clusterf@#k, you should read this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-145-022-74-a-puzzle.92931/
I remenber very well that thread, one of mine speedmaster was part of the discussion because it was a 74 in the 32xxx xxx range with metal brake and not plastic.
But jeez, putting in a movement built for the 71 modelin the very early serial of 74 is a thing, but built some of them that late in the 74 production with a step dial!!?
WTF were they thinking ::facepalm1::::facepalm1::