Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Omega Speedmaster 145.022-74 (Step Dial)

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 9, 2019

Up for sale is a slight oddity within the 1970's Speedy world, as it's a seldom seen 145.022-74 that features a "step dial" (more commonly seen on 1971 and prior references). This watch was purchased directly from the original owner, who received it as a gift in 1974 and wore it infrequently. As he put it, he was a private pilot who was rough on tools and he soon realized that the Speedmaster was too nice for him to bang around every day. He wasn't totally easy on the watch, as the crystal has absorbed some blows. Otherwise, this is a razor sharp, fresh-to-market example that is a terrific addition for any fan of mid-70's Speedies. Full condition report below:

Dial:
    Vintage tritium dial is in great condition with even patina that is lighter. No loss of tritium or flaking. The crystal has some indentations and scratches, but under a loupe, the dial is in perfect condition with no issues.

Hands: Original handset exhibits matching patina with the dial and are cosmetically perfect with no flaking. Sub-dial hands are also perfect. Like the rest of the watch, the hands show no signs of ever being removed / serviced.

Case: Perhaps the strongest attribute of the watch is its case, which is razor sharp and unpolished. There are surface scratches and swirls (likely from decades of drawer duty), but the case retains its original factory brushing and the case lines are factory grade. Caseback is in nearly perfect shape as well, with almost all of the lettering still containing the black ink.

Bezel:
    Original "tall tachy" bezel is in great shape with no notable nicks/scratches. It should be noted that the white mark near the 190 hash is not actually a mark on the bezel but was a piece of lint that was caught in between the crystal and bezel. I can provide updated pictures if any buyer is dubious of this.

Movement / Functionality: Movement is clean and pictured below, with correct serial for this reference. The seller does not remember the watch being serviced under his continuous ownership and upon close inspection under a loupe / macro photography, I think there's a good chance it was never serviced. One screw shows wear but there are no markings on the inner caseback and no other screws that show similar wear. The watch winds smoothly and runs, and in a three hour timing test, it kept perfect time. Chronograph starts, stops, and resets with no issues. The gasket has dried up and cracked (as clearly pictured). As always, a service is recommended and the watch is sold as-is.

Accessories: The watch is being sold head only, with no box or papers.

My asking price is $4,400, which includes fully insured Fedex Priority shipping. Payment via PayPal (F&F or add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. US sale strongly preferred. Face-to-face in Chicago is also welcome for local buyers. Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary. Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space.
    3-19-19-1.jpg 3-19-19-2.jpg 3-19-19-3.jpg 3-19-19-4.jpg 3-19-19-5.jpg 3-19-19-6.jpg 3-20-19-1.jpg 3-20-19-2.jpg

2. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 11, 2019

Sold - thanks OF and buyer

Taybharr, sliceoftime_ and BatDad like this.