Forums Latest Members

145.022-68 Transitional Speedmaster, polished or not?

1. Martin_F Nov 12, 2019

Of course the line is there, but what the above picture shows is the dark line between brushed and shiny (don't want to use the term polished).
    What happens, over time that corner wears down and therefore roundens off.
    When they come in later to redo the brushed finish, depending on how bad the corner has worn, it will not clean up and still leave that little area shown above that reflects light differently and therefore appears dark.

The picture you provided of the moonshine gold model doesn't show that condition.

To answer the OPs question: in my opinion the watch case has been refinished. Again I don't want to use the term polished, because refinishing a case doesn't necessarily mean polishing it.

2. flqt-9000 Nov 12, 2019

We were talking about different lines!

3. ndgal Nov 12, 2019

So easy to tell an unpolished Speedmaster from a polished one...
    I would say that this OP example has been polished based on these pictures.
    One of the more decent/professional jobs that you could find. Looks like it was most likely done by Omega service center or a very skilled refinisher. Definitely not one of your "Jeweler's Special" hack polishing jobs which completely destroy the lines of the case.

Cad290 likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2019

It’s typically the guys who own or sell these “unpolished” watches that are so adamant about it. If you feel you can tell the difference, that’s up to you. I will continue to view these claims with a healthy dose of skepticism.

5. ndgal Nov 12, 2019

I guess it all comes down to experience...

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2019

Indeed it does...