145.022-68 Recently Inherited

Hello All,
IMG_0649.jpeg IMG_0626.jpeg IMG_0627.jpeg IMG_0636.jpeg IMG_0634.jpeg I have recently inherited my father’s watch. I promise I’ll take more pictures as soon as I get a chance to do so. For now, I just wanted to start the conversation going and say hi. I am in the USA (if that matters) and want to have this serviced and the bracelet resized to fit my (larger) wrist. I want it to be serviced so I can wear it but I do not want to change any of the patina or erase any of the history associated with it. I was born in 1967 so I saw my dad wear this his entire life until he retired, and then some. It has been in a small display with his father’s pocket watch for maybe 15 years. It does run but I do not want to use it until it is serviced correctly. I build vintage cars and motorcycles for a living, so I will be extremely interested in the process. I have a newfound interest in watchmaking and am considering taking up the hobby as my ability to work on vehicles becomes more physically challenging.

You'll hear that the best route will be a local independent competent watchmaker for a full service. If you send it to Omega, they will replace parts and polish this and that and you'll lose that history and charm. Where in the US are you located?

Greetings Corndawg welcome to OF. Great heirloom watch these are very desirable and popular. Here is an overview by our Speedmaster guru and OF member @Spacefruit who publishes a wide variety of educational information on his website speedmaster101.com. Highly recommend browsing the website. Here is a start regarding your watch.

https://speedmaster101.com/145-022-transitional/

Several caveats-
DO get it serviced by an independant watchmaker with Omega parts account, who is experienced and attuned to wants of vintage watch collectors. If you provide your location members here can recommend someone. Estimate the service to cost in 800-1200 range, with extra for parts if needed. It is totally worth it.
DO NOT send it to Omega in Switz through your local Omega AD, they will restore it to "new" and replace everything and destroy the vintage charm and value in the process, and charge you a fortune!

Anyway again welcome to OF, others will certainly have lots of good advice to add.

You may want to ask you dad if he kept any original purchase papers or box, as that adds value and is very nice to have.

As for resizing the bracelet, that could be a challenge assuming you don't have extra links handy.
It's possible that there is room for adjustment in the clasp.

You'll hear that the best route will be a local independent competent watchmaker for a full service. If you send it to Omega, they will replace parts and polish this and that and you'll lose that history and charm. Where in the US are you located?
Thank you. I definitely do NOT want it to lose the history or charm. I’m in Pittsburgh, PA but I am certainly willing to travel to the right person, if they will meet with me. This is the most important and sentimental thing I have of my dad’s and I need someone who understands the seriousness of the situation.

Greetings Corndawg welcome to OF. Great heirloom watch these are very desirable and popular. Here is an overview by our Speedmaster guru and OF member @Spacefruit who publishes a wide variety of educational information on his website speedmaster101.com. Highly recommend browsing the website. Here is a start regarding your watch.

https://speedmaster101.com/145-022-transitional/

Several caveats-
DO get it serviced by an independant watchmaker with Omega parts account, who is experienced and attuned to wants of vintage watch collectors. If you provide your location members here can recommend someone. Estimate the service to cost in 800-1200 range, with extra for parts if needed. It is totally worth it.
DO NOT send it to Omega in Switz through your local Omega AD, they will restore it to "new" and replace everything and destroy the vintage charm and value in the process, and charge you a fortune!

Anyway again welcome to OF, others will certainly have lots of good advice to add.

You may want to ask you dad if he kept any original purchase papers or box, as that adds value and is very nice to have.
Thank you! I was actually sent here from speedmaster101 so I must be heading in the right direction. It will be very difficult to ask my dad anything anymore (now that he’s deceased) but I’m not beyond trying. Maybe he will reveal secrets from The Great Beyond?

I and several other members here have used Chronotek in Souderton, PA outside of Philadelphia for work on our vintage Omegas. The contact person there is Michael Scriniere.
www.chronotekinc.com
Chronotek Inc.
123 East Broad Street
Souderton, PA 18964
Phone: 215-799-1912

Awesome watch, sorry you acquired it the way you did. As for resizing the bracelet, that could be a challenge assuming you don't have extra links handy. One thing you may want to consider, is putting it on an aftermarket strap, or, one of the good aftermarket reproduction bracelets, you'll find good options here:
https://forstnerbands.com/collections/bracelets-for-omega-speedmaster
https://unclestraps.com/collections/speedmaster
Thank you. I am hoping someone will have extra links to add but I’ll also look into the ones you’ve suggested.

It's possible that there is room for adjustment in the clasp.
I have adjusted it out to the last hole and can just barely get it to close. However, I think my hand needs blood flow so I’ll be needing a link or two added.

Thank you! I was actually sent here from speedmaster101 so I must be heading in the right direction. It will be very difficult to ask my dad anything anymore (now that he’s deceased) but I’m not beyond trying. Maybe he will reveal secrets from The Great Beyond?
Apologies for that appreciate the humor. Looks like youre on the right track stick around and ask any questions along the way, including a watchmakers quote and proposed work if you are wondering what to do. The common decisions include crystal, crown, pushers which will impact water resistance. Some prefer to leave as much original and just be ultra careful around water. Others want water resistance, and you can get old parts returned incase you change your mind later. Vast majority of collectors do not want any polishing or changing hands. You will hear opinions on these topics as you go. Enjoy the journey.

I and several other members here have used Chronotek in Souderton, PA outside of Philadelphia for work on our vintage Omegas. The contact person there is Michael Scriniere.
www.chronotekinc.com
Chronotek Inc.
123 East Broad Street
Souderton, PA 18964
Phone: 215-799-1912
Thank you. I will definitely look into this suggestion. Although, I’m also ready to travel wherever necessary to “click” with the right person. So, any and all suggestions are helpful and appreciated.

The bracelet appears to be a ref #1175, for extra links. And while you're at it, you could replace the 47 endlinks with 640 endlinks.

Apologies for that appreciate the humor. Looks like youre on the right track stick around and ask any questions along the way, including a watchmakers quote and proposed work if you are wondering what to do. The common decisions include crystal, crown, pushers which will impact water resistance. Some prefer to leave as much original and just be ultra careful around water. Others want water resistance, and you can get old parts returned incase you change your mind later. Vast majority of collectors do not want any polishing or changing hands. You will hear opinions on these topics as you go. Enjoy the journey.
I definitely do not want anything more than the bare mechanical service necessities done, including new seals for some water/dirt resistance. I love it as-is but do not want to wear out parts do to lack of proper lubrication. As long as everything functions properly, I do not want to change any parts. I think each nick and scratch represents an event that I would never want to erase. I have a few stories to share about this watch (when I am more awake) that may cause all of you watch lovers to recoil in horror. But, each makes me laugh and remember why I loved my dad so much. If someone would remove those memories from this watch, I would ***censored for legal reasons*** and that would be bad for everyone involved. Cheers!

The bracelet appears to be a ref #1175, for extra links. And while you're at it, you could replace the 47 endlinks with 640 endlinks.
I don’t know what that means (yet) but I appreciate the suggestions and will look into it.

Individiual links for an 1175 are going to be difficult to find, but this might be an option:
Omega bracelet 1175 flat link 19mm/20mm for Vintage Seamaster and Speedmaster | eBay
I suppose I need to measure my wrist to see what size might work but I’d be ok with buying a complete (or partial) bracelet to scavenge parts (if thats not too much of a sin to even suggest). I’m new to watch world but I know the internet is full of strong opinions and I’m not here to ruffle anyone’s feathers.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I suppose I need to measure my wrist to see what size might work but I’d be ok with buying a complete (or partial) bracelet to scavenge parts (if thats not too much of a sin to even suggest). I’m new to watch world but I know the internet is full of strong opinions and I’m not here to ruffle anyone’s feathers.
That’s exactly what I’m suggesting. Without having seen this bracelet, I don’t know if it’s in wearable condition, but you could almost certainly scavenge extra links from it.

I would just get leather strap for now and take your time reconstructing a bracelet. Most of us swap between leather strap and bracelet anyway. Here’s my black thick racing strap from WatchGecko and thinner brown from Torre. IMG_3469.jpeg IMG_5286.jpeg but many ideas avail.

Individiual links for an 1175 are going to be difficult to find, but this might be an option:
Omega bracelet 1175 flat link 19mm/20mm for Vintage Seamaster and Speedmaster | eBay

Buying a bracelet to get links is not a bad idea @Corndawg389, but don't buy that one. It is mislabeled or cobbled together with different parts. If you look at the image taken of the edge you will notice the profile of the links is not right for yours. It's elliptical not with flat edges like yours. I think that bracelet is an 1171 with an 1175 clasp.

On a separate note if you buy an 1175 for a few links, I might be interested in buying what is left. I have small wrists (6.5") and don't need a full bracelet by a long shot

EDIT: The seller of the ebay bracelet is a member here, and is an honest person. He says that 1175 bracelets were made with two different types of links. Although it seems unusual, I think he may be right. See responses below.
Edited:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.