145.012-67 SP selling at $20900 - Record price on Ebay?

Interesting question. Some thoughts from SP101 : http://speedmaster101.com/blog/brown-dials/

For me personally attractive brown dials deserve a premium - all else being equal - and the max premium I would consider is the amount it takes to get to the next higher value watch, i.e. "good" 105.003 for 17K, or 4K premium max for me. In other words, my question would be : "For the same price, should I buy a SP101 "good" 105.012 with attractive brown dial, or a SP101 "good" Ed White ? Nice problem to have I realize.

That's an interesting formula.👍 I suppose the only thing that I would add is that not all brown dials are considered "attractive".

I like my own watch because the dial is an even shade of brown that appears different depending on natural or artificial light. Another person may prefer a lighter brown dial, or chocolate dial with contrasting sub-dials. That preference is going to effect how much a buyer would pay for a brown dial watch.

I suppose it comes down to someone finding a watch "attractive". 😕

That's an interesting formula.👍 I suppose the only thing that I would add is that not all brown dials are considered "attractive".

I like my own watch because the dial is an even shade of brown that appears different depending on natural or artificial light. Another person may prefer a lighter brown dial, or chocolate dial with contrasting sub-dials. That preference is going to effect how much a buyer would pay for a brown dial watch.

I suppose it comes down to someone finding a watch "attractive". 😕
... and be willing to pay a premium for its "attractiveness" of course 😀

... and be willing to pay a premium for its "attractiveness" of course 😀
So if you are posting a 'brown dial' watch for sale.... do you simply add a large premium and then see how potential buyers respond. 😕

In the end any item is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

While brown dials are very subjective they do still follow certain rules in my opinion.

For me, the top examples that fetch real money are like the one at the start of this thread - a deep, glossy milk chocolate, with a reasonably consisten colouring, although often with variation around the sub dials.

After that you have the darker, chocolate dials, but still semi gloss with a consistent appearance.

The matte dials come next with a premium for those that don’t look dry and burnt out.

Finally there are the ones that have very inconsistent colouration and look dry and dusty and not at all attractive.

Overall I think clearly a brown colour with even fade and gloss appearance is at the top. As you drop down to uneven fade, a less obvious chocolate colour and matte/dusty looking dial the premium drops until it actually ends up leading to a reduction in value over a black dial.
Edited:

Note I said it was one of the best 145.012's I have seen.

If you are going to start talking 145.022s....Then its yours.
I'm still haunted by one that I failed to win in a tiny online auction back in Nov-17. This is the best tropical Professional Speedy I've ever seen and obviously the condition in which I'd hope to find it. I tapped out at something like $14K and IIRC it ended up around $18K. I should have just kept going until I won it, as I'm clearly not over it 1.5 years later. I hold this up as the gold standard:

That's clearly a beauty... not sure I would pay that much premium for it but as usual this a matter of taste 😀

I'm still haunted by one that I failed to win in a tiny online auction back in Nov-17. This is the best tropical Professional Speedy I've ever seen and obviously the condition in which I'd hope to find it. I tapped out at something like $14K and IIRC it ended up around $18K. I should have just kept going until I won it, as I'm clearly not over it 1.5 years later. I hold this up as the gold standard:

Stunner.

I think it is important to see chocolate dials in the flesh. Photographs can distort the colour so much. Here’s my 105.012 in daylight

And in artificial light

Not nearly so chocolate coloured.

Here's a few of my 2911 serial '69. The dial has quite a uniform colour to it and always responds well to some sunshine !

They're not for everyone but I'm a sucker for a nice chocolate dial.

Though chocolate is pleasing to the eye, I put it second in line to intact (original) lume and a flawless dial.

For me the best tropical dials are even in coloration, can be hard to tell with confidence it is chocolate when viewed by itself but obvious when it is placed beside a non-tropical piece.

I love how this thread has evolved into “Show is your chocolate”