12.68Z is missing chrono seconds hand, correct?

I am a green watch collector (hopefully just green, not glowing green). I recently bought this 12.68Z:

IMG_3190.jpeg

This watch is missing a central seconds hand. I also think the chrono minutes hand tip and tail both were damaged and it was patched back up. When I purchased it I was thinking the watch was originally sold without a seconds hand at the buyer's request, but the broken minutes hand makes me now think that is not the case. Also who wants a chrono with a minutes hand only?

I was planning on getting a new seconds hand for the watch, I looked at the mechanism and it is still working great for the seconds hand in terms of how the central gear is turning and resetting so I think it only needs a hand. Does that sound sensible?

PS here are a couple other examples of 12.68Z from a similar late-40's period for reference. The first one is also the exact same reference number, 5034. There are another ten in Goldberger's book and they all have a central seconds hand; two have only seconds no chrono minutes.

IMG_3205.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3203.jpeg
Edited:

Are you sure this is a 12.68Z movement? I have never seen a 12.68Z with anything other than a minute and an hour hands plus a subdial second hand. Or is the chronograph function an add-on?

It is an add-on, below the chrono stuff it looks pretty much like the non-chrono 12.68Z. Why didn't they give it a new number? Beats me! There are many chrono 12.68Z out there, all the Longines monopusher flyback models I think are 12.68Z based.

Cool watch! Looks like you are missing more than the second hand, at least
the pivot to place it on maybe broken? Some more pictures might help.

Yes I think you are right.. I didn’t realize the seconds hand has a female end on it. I guess the shaft is usually part of the gear wheel driving it? To be clear I am not planning on just getting a hand and fixing it, I am going to send it in for repair. It sounds like that gear wheel will also need to be fixed then..

Here is a picture, I think there should be a shaft coming up through the middle there and there is not?

IMG_3207.jpeg

You are right, unfortunately I believe this part is obsolete. But a good watchmaker would be able to re-pivot the gear. Do you have a picture of the movement?

Here is a shot I took of the seconds wheels. They were mis-aligned but fortunately it was an easy fix.

IMG_3208.jpeg

The watchmaker I use can make parts, I think the main issue will be the cost.

Looks like a very good starting point😀 I hope you will find the parts and get
it up and running again👍 Godspeed!

... I think the main issue will be the cost.

As is usually the case. Everything is possible, but not everyone has the money for that.

That's a cool watch, worth restoring/completing. Good luck with that endeavor 👍

There have been lots of discussions here about the 12.68z stop second/ stop and go. I'm a big fan, have one of the ref. 5034 as well. Yours is a worthy project!
Edited:

Thanks for that parts picture, I can see the central seconds wheel in the list.. it’s the one with the long shaft. The Goldberger book shows the 1938 patent but no parts list.

I am definitely getting it fixed up, it’s too nice a watch not to. I am now waiting to hear back on where I will be on the wait list.