Forums Latest Members
  1. sonvolt Oct 19, 2020

I recently bought a new 1171 bracelet from my Omega Boutique to see what a lighter, more vintage-style bracelet would feel like on my Speedmaster.

While I love the lightness and slinkiness of the piece, I'm troubled by the fragile nature of the clasp. Specifically, as you can see in my pic, the jointed "leaf" of the clasp is attached to the outer clasp with only two small rolls or folds of steel, which - as I've already learned - are easily opened if there is any twisting or flexing of the bracelet (especially when putting the watch on, or taking it off). I had the leaf half-way separate from the bracelet the other day while taking the watch off, which is how I discovered this seeming design flaw. I note that on my Rolex Submariner (circa 2004), the leaf is attached to the pin by a complete roll of the entire steel leaf, not two tiny fold-backs, and is therefore much more secure.

So, my thought was that these two folds could be reinforced by spot welds, permanently preventing them from spreading apart and coming off the pin. I figure someone like Rolliworks, or any shop set up with micro-welding equipment could accomplish this.

Just curious: has anyone tried such a remedy on this bracelet before? Or perhaps come up with another solution?

Thanks,
    D

IMG_5538.JPG
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 19, 2020

Take a thin-nosed-pliers, and bend those folds further such that the bracelet can not open/come-undone (thats how I fixed mine). But I agree : this is a bad design (especially considering the cost), and probably has/will cause many expensive watches to be damaged.

3. sonvolt Oct 19, 2020

Thanks Eugene, I did indeed use padded pliers to compress the folds as much as possible. I never looked to see their position before it separated - perhaps they weren't fully compressed to begin with, but I am super cautious now when putting-on or taking-off the watch, to prevent putting torque on that joint. I also loosened the bracelet in terms of fit so it goes over my hand easier (requiring less pulling/twisting/tugging), but this is looser than I would normally wear it.

It's a drag because, while I like the way the bracelet looks and feels, I feel like I have to treat the watch like it's fragile, lest I flex my wrist too much and realize the bracelet has come apart. Kind of takes the "tool" out of "tool watch." If it comes apart again, I'm going to have to go back to the bruiser bracelet the watch came with.

4. Blackdog Oct 19, 2020

True that the Rolex version of the stamped metal clasp is a bit more robust. Not only there is a complete roll around the pin, but the pin itself is a solid rivet. The one on the Omega is a spring bar (i.e. hollow).
    But this kind of clasps have been in use by Omega for decades. I can't believe they are as fragile as you feel.

I think the contrast against the modern milled clasps is biasing your perception. I think that a bit of tightening is all you need to be perfectly safe. Technically speaking, you have the same potential issue in the hinge between the two blades.

sonvolt likes this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 19, 2020

After my watchmaker did it for me, I tested it by trying to push the bar out of the 'folds'. I could not no matter how hard I tried, and that made me happy.

Foo2rama and sonvolt like this.
  6. sonvolt Oct 19, 2020

Very true.

I think it's also possible, this is a quality control issue - i.e., the two fold-over sections may not have been fully compressed to begin with. For instance, on this clasp, opening/closing the snap latch took herculean effort - to the point that the first time I opened the latch - straight out of the package - I thought I was going to break the bracelet. I needed to adjust the curvature of the leaf to adjust the snap tension to a normal level. So ... could be the fold-over sections on the pin simply weren't compressed properly. I'll never know, but they are certainly pressed down now!

Edited Oct 19, 2020
  7. Fusion Oct 19, 2020

I have noticed on mine that the bar popped out of one of the sides of the clasp and it could have easily fallen off my wrist. I try to carefully put it on and take it off so this does not happen and inspect it pretty frequently. There are quite a few stories online about this and I shouldn't have been surprised when it happened to me too.

8. Blackdog Oct 19, 2020

Is this an issue with the modern 1171s ? Could it be that they are now using a thinner clasp spring bar than what they used in the past ?

9. Fusion Oct 19, 2020

I actually misspoke, your bracelet looked the same as the one I have on my FOIS seen here but the reference numbers are different. Still, same idea, same poor design. It's a decades old, vintage bracelet so I am not exactly shocked

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 19, 2020

After mine was “adjusted” no issues.

in the future I’d do it when I adjust the endlinks.

this is also not an expensive bracelet.

11. sonvolt Oct 19, 2020

It cost me $426 from an Omega Boutique ... I don't consider that cheap, especially when Uncle Seiko sells virtually the same bracelet for $90. Would not be surprised to learn both bracelets were made in the same factory. For what it is, I consider it overpriced - but then I realize you're paying for the Omega symbol, not necessarily the quality.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 19, 2020

It is compared to other bracelets. That’s cheaper then an oem strap and clasp.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  13. sonvolt Oct 19, 2020

Agreed in terms of cost relative to other Omega bracelets, but when you consider what you're actually getting for $4-500, I thinks it qualifies as "expensive" in terms of relative value.

Fusion and Foo2rama like this.
  14. nobbylon Oct 19, 2020

I don’t think it’s a bad design, more likely just not bent over far enough. Peoples expectations have changed regarding bracelets. Some constantly complain about the flimsy nature of the old Rolex bracelets and clasps yet I’ve got one that has been worn 24/7 for atleast 26 years and is still in use. Probably the same with the old style Omega bracelets. The pressed steel folds are incredibly strong and I imagine you would end up with a serious wrist cut / injury before pulling the bracelet apart! I much prefer the 1171/633 combo to the original. I’m also looking forward to trying my Speedmaster on the US1035.

Archer likes this.
  15. texasmade Oct 19, 2020

I bought the Speedy Racing bracelet for my FOIS and that was like $700 (this was 3 years ago so I don't remember the exact price). I wore it for a few months and decided I didn't like the way it wore on my wrist so I took it off and went back to the OEM strap. I never liked the strap so I got the Speedy Racing rubber strap with deployant clasp for another $500. A new OEM bracelet under $500 is a good price.

16. nobbylon Oct 19, 2020

There is no way these 1171’s are worth the €430 I paid for mine from Omega. €100 would be more realistic.

sonvolt likes this.
  17. 89-0 Oct 19, 2020

Actually, the @Uncle Seiko design looks more secure.

upload_2020-10-19_16-52-30.png

sonvolt likes this.
  18. LeonDeBayonne Oct 19, 2020

Uncle Seiko and Forstner bracelets are nicely designed and relatively well priced. But you can’t compare their quality with those manufactured by Omega. I have had vintage and new 1125 and 1171 for decades and never had any problem of a bracelet breaking or a clasp opening easily.

89-0 likes this.