105.003-63 restoration. Where would you trust?

Hello all. I am new to this forum so I’m sorry in advance for making any mistakes.
I inherited this Omega speedmaster from my father a few years ago. I always loved the watch even though by the time i was aware of its existence it had already fallen into a state of disrepair and needed work. My father always intended on having it restored and passing it on to me as some sort of family heirloom but unfortunately he died before he got the chance. I have had now for the seven years since his death and have put off having work done to it because of being afraid of the cost and not quite knowing how to proceed. I understand that it is fairly rare watch and combined with the sentimental value i wish to have someone trustworthy do the work on it. I would like to have the minimal work done to it so as to keep it as original as possible. I have read that sending it off to Omega would not be a good idea in this instance as they are a little too keen to replace parts. Im sure you all understand what I’m getting at? Im based in Denmark but am British so don’t mind sending it to the uk or any eu country for that matter. Where would you recommend i have the work done?
Thanks

Very nice.. I suspect it would clean up well.

You should send it to Simon Freese in the UK.

http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com

He will get it presentable and working while honouring its history.

Thank you just what i was looking for!
Yes i hope it does clean up well. I think it will still bare a few scars but that will just add to the charm.
Thank you again

I second Mr Freese!

Is it me or is the dial a dark brown (edit: on switching from mobile to computer screen, and having a closer look, I think not)?
Edited:

Very cool heirloom, I like it a lot and I'm sure you're looking forward to having it working again. Is the casebook engraving your father's initials/name?

I second Mr Freese!

Is it me or is the dial a dark brown (edit: on switching from mobile to computer screen, and having a closer look, I think not)?

i think it’s more bad lighting and my poor photography skills… it’s black, well at least under the dirt!

Very cool heirloom, I like it a lot and I'm sure you're looking forward to having it working again. Is the casebook engraving your father's initials/name?

Thank you. Yes i don’t have much but it’s nice to have something that you can wear on your person, something to remember him by. Cant wait to get it working, always been a fan of the speedmaster. And yes, those were his initials/name. He actually bought it from new in Switzerland when he was in Nato back in the day. I guess he got it engraved around the same time.

All you need is a Watchmaker to service the movement and polish the crystal. Keep the hands as are. Forget all the lume and other issues , which collectors cherish..... Sending from the EU to the UK now will have VAT implications. Ask Mr. Freese First and get a quote from him for a mvmt. service without parts. Parallel ask members here, who are EU based watch repairers, if they can do it for you. It's a straight forward task for calibre 321. With a bit of luck, the equivalent of US$ 500 should work for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

All you need is a Watchmaker to service the movement and polish the crystal. Keep the hands as are. Forget all the lume and other issues , which collectors cherish..... Sending from the EU to the UK now will have VAT implications. Ask Mr. Freese First and get a quote from him for a mvmt. service without parts. Parallel ask members here, who are EU based watch repairers, if they can do it for you. It's a straight forward task for calibre 321. With a bit of luck, the equivalent of US$ 500 should work for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you, yes this is definitely worth some serious thought. I do have a mother based in the Uk so perhaps it is worth doing through her and then she can simply bring it to me on her next visit? That would avoid all of the vat issues i should imagine. Bloody Brexit! I will keep you posted and thank you for the warning.

You’d need to get it to your mum in person. Posting to her would still require import duty and VAT to be paid unless you didn’t declare the value and used separate insurance. However, the same would apply to posting to a UK based watchmaker

Great watch you got. Since you said its a -63, do you also have movement shots? Would love to see how far away it is from mine serial wise 😀

Here in Denmark, try watchmaker Halse in Horsens or Umagerens Værksted i Århus.

I would send that watch to Simon.
Shipping issues are secondary to his expertise and light touch on these pieces.

I would send that watch to Simon.
Shipping issues are secondary to his expertise and light touch on these pieces.

Agreed.. he has done some fine work for me.

FedEx can get it there quick and safe and there's ways around the VAT nonsense.

i have to disagree. get quotes first from all of them including the time, it takes to do the work. if you can, stay inside the EU because of shipment problems and VAT. ask for movement service caliber 321 only without parts . no extra work required. that gives you the right comparison tool. take your time.

Yeah that is a little of a drawback waiting time for Robin is four months by now.
Either he`s a genius on Speedmasters or his pricing is far to low 😁

i have to disagree. get quotes first from all of them including the time, it takes to do the work. if you can, stay inside the EU because of shipment problems and VAT. ask for movement service caliber 321 only without parts . no extra work required. that gives you the right comparison tool. take your time.
Yes, but it’s not just a 321 movement service is it? The paint on the hands needs touched in/redone, the chrono hand needs replaced and colour matched, it’s lume meeds matched to the other hands or all of them relumed to match with a vintage lume.
Who knows what else lies under that scratched crystal, the above is just what i can see.
It’s the OP’s choice and of course he could leave the hands etc as is, but Simon has done dozens of similar Speedies, he knows what to suggest as to what to keep and what to replace.
Imo this watch needs an expert to bring it back to life.

mo this watch needs an expert to bring it back to life.
Thats true - Robin have made hundreds.
But I dont want to make some kind of advertisement I leave it to the OP.