1039 flat link experts: springbars and endlinks

Hi all,

I would like to address this to all 1039 / flat link experts. together with my SM 300 came a 1039 bracelet that was correct in the date range and had lots of DNS on it, so I figure it could be the one the watch was first sold.

This question appears to be of minor interest and going too much into detail, but for originality sake I would like to know which kind of springbars were mounted in the first place and if somebody knows wether this kind of springbars are on the spare part list of Omega. This is how I got the watch:

IMG_0504 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0595 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0598 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_0667 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0601 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0670 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0673 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_0676 (1024x768).jpg

I mounted these new ones, they do fit under the endlinks:

IMG_0748 (1024x768).jpg

The ones you are trying to use are quick release style which don’t work with endlinks. You need “normal” ones that are double sided with shoulders. For bracelets 19mm often works better than 20mm.

I think the ones you’ve shown could well be original but I wouldn’t try to use those ‘quick release’ type on that bracelet. I’d use standard 1.8-2.0mm shouldered spring bars. Whatever you do, don’t fit shoulderless ones as they’re a massive pain in the arse to remove on lugs without lugs holes.

The ones you are trying to use are quick release style which don’t work with endlinks. You need “normal” ones that are double sided with shoulders. For bracelets 19mm often works better than 20mm.

Ok, that sounds reasonable, 19 mm with shoulders on both sides probably are the easiest to mount/dismount.

I think the ones you’ve shown could well be original but I wouldn’t try to use those ‘quick release’ type on that bracelet. I’d use standard 1.8-2.0mm shouldered spring bars. Whatever you do, don’t fit shoulderless ones as they’re a massive pain in the arse to remove on lugs without lugs holes.

I wonder wether Omega has quick release springbars in their sortiment. I only found these: 068ST2206, not quick release. It is not that I necessary want to mount original Omega springbars, but I have to admit the standard springbars with shoulders on both sides are not easy to mount /dismantle as well.

And: you are right, my quick release are shoulderless, I did not realize the outcome of that when I want to get them out again. Good point!

The ones shown in your pictures with the 'quick release' are in fact the original spring bars that came on the watch.
If the correct tool is used, they are actually much easier to remove than the modern ones wit the 'shoulder'.
I use a thin OEM Omega spring bar tool, just get inside the end link notch and press the pin back.

I wonder wether Omega has quick release springbars in their sortiment. I only found these: 068ST2206, not quick release. It is not that I necessary want to mount original Omega springbars, but I have to admit the standard springbars with shoulders on both sides are not easy to mount /dismantle as well.

And: you are right, my quick release are shoulderless, I did not realize the outcome of that when I want to get them out again. Good point!

To be clear, I didn’t mean “don’t fit shoulderless bars that have a ‘quick release’ notch”. No issue using those as the notch is easy to move. I meant standard shoulderless bars while you’re trying different options. There was a thread a while ago where someone had used shoulderless bars on a watch without lugs holes and they’re a nightmare to relive without damaging the lugs or bracelet.

The ones shown in your pictures with the 'quick release' are in fact the original spring bars that came on the watch.
If the correct tool is used, they are actually much easier to remove than the modern ones wit the 'shoulder'.
I use a thin OEM Omega spring bar tool, just get inside the end link notch and press the pin back.

Thanks for the input. So my guessing was right then. I have to check and try to mount these with endlinks now....

... which leads me to my next question: what is the correct shape, or should I say: curve of the endlinks when looking at them from the side? I tried to figure that out on some of the older threads, but I have to admit: it is not easy see how they are bent to get them `tight` towards the case. When I try to give it a curve, the endlink comes very loose and ends up upside down / below the bevel of the case. The only way to get it tighter towards the case in my hands is when I give it a very flat scalope. But then it looks as beeing too flat...

Is there someone with an unmolested endlink, preferably a side view? Maybe mounted on a Speed- / Seamaster?
Edited:

IMG_20201223_114432_r.jpg

As @Dan S says below, I use standard Omega 20mm spring bars. I would never use 19mm bars on this watch or the Seamaster. I wouldn't use QR bars on any watch, let alone this watch or the Seamaster. I wouldn't use curved or bent bars on this watch or the Seamaster.
Edited:

That watch should take 20mm spring-bars, not 19mm. 19mm spring-bars will not be secure. And straight, not curved. If you bend straight spring-bars (especially 19mm spring-bars), they will definitely not be secure in a 20mm wide space. And I really do not recommend trying to use quick-release spring-bars with your bracelet.

All in all, you are really asking for trouble. Just use some good quality straight 20mm spring-bars, with shoulders.

Use double flange spring bars and as Dan said. 20 mm if the spacing is 20 mm. Don't use undersized spring bars

Sorry for the confusion: of course I would use straight spring bars not bent ones, and 20 mm not 19 mm.

What I meant was: what should be the form / shape of the 516 endlinks when looking at them from the side. It seems to me that no matter what shape you give them, they are not held in place by the springbar but by the second link that follows the endlink?

IMG_20201223_114432_r.jpg

As @Dan S says below, I use standard Omega 20mm spring bars. I would never use 19mm bars on this watch or the Seamaster. I wouldn't use QR bars on any watch, let alone this watch or the Seamaster. I wouldn't use curved or bent bars on this watch or the Seamaster.

Nice pic, gives an idea how the endlinks should sit in place... thanks!

this watch just came in from a kind member here on the forum: I In this condition, with little wear on the back and sharp lines, it seems the bracelet probably never was switched as well. I checked the endlinks: it was no surprise to find another QR springbar under the endlink, still soft and workable. So it seems very probable that these bracelets of that time were delivered as this:

14.jpg

13.jpg

IMG_4099.JPG 12.jpg

So you think that Omega supplied these bracelets with quick-release springbars in the 1960s? I would be very surprised. Perhaps @Archer and other watchmakers might have some insights.

So you think that Omega supplied these bracelets with quick-release springbars in the 1960s? I would be very surprised. Perhaps @Archer and other watchmakers might have some insights.

This is what I recently observed, but it is just an unproved theory. I certainly would love to hear what the experienced members and watchmakers say.

Obviously spring bars are on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to complicated Swiss micro engineering/manufacturing, but other than direct from the Omega boutique (or inexpensive Chinese made ones) what/where do people trust buying good quality 20mm spring bars from?

Obviously spring bars are on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to complicated Swiss micro engineering/manufacturing, but other than direct from the Omega boutique (or inexpensive Chinese made ones) what/where do people trust buying good quality 20mm spring bars from?

Esslinger, Marathon, and Scurfa. The latter are shoulder-less, though.

This is what I recently observed, but it is just an unproved theory. I certainly would love to hear what the experienced members and watchmakers say.

All my original watches that came with flat-link bracelets had these bars. They can roll under the end-link, and can be very difficult to fish out without bending the link. I save them, but change them out.