Forums Latest Members

1016: What does it really sell for?

1. snunez Mar 10, 2020

Has anyone got any real data points for the prices on 1016s? I know all markets are irrational, but this one seems especially so. This model seems relatively plentiful, but most of the asking prices are $20K+. Given the prices of new explorers, it seems to me these should go for between $8K-12K.

So whilst everyone seems to be asking for $20K, I'd love to know what they are actually selling for. Searching here lead to one recent transaction (off-forum), but the OP didn't answer the 'how much' question.

I really like this model (who doesn't?), but with absurd prices, fakes and frankens, it might be a while before I get one.

Does anyone have any data on recent transactions?

Edited Mar 10, 2020
    Benbradstock likes this.
  2. Dan S Mar 10, 2020

Prices vary quite a bit depending on the dial. Gilt dial 1016s with all original parts can definitely sell for $20k USD, depending on condition. The matte dial versions are usually well below that, closer to $10k. Obviously, if there are service parts, the value goes way down.

thelinendial, airansun and watch3s like this.
  3. chows99 Mar 10, 2020

I personally think matte dial 1016s in reasonable condition definitely can fetch 11k and upwards.

Gilt dial is in a different league and as what others pointed out, can be in the region of 20s.

The price points also vary significantly with or without papers.

airansun, Benbradstock and Dan S like this.
  4. thelinendial Mar 10, 2020

I've been watching pricing for a while and agree with above what's been said so far.

After list price, you can sometimes negotiate, but that's a very specific private conversation btw the buyer and seller. In my opinion, a good buyer keeps the negotiated price private to protect the seller (selling future watches) and to not devalue his/her newly purchased piece.

Regarding the fakes, if you research long enough, I've found at least for me, you can spot them. Regarding Franken's it's also easier to spot because the movement is rare, there are no alternative cases that will fit without metal work, and the dial has distinct looks relative to the year matching the case serial number.

There are lower priced authentics to be had, if you compromise with the less collectable replacement dials and as @Dan S mentioned go matte.

Case in point, see for $7,600 USD from @Left_Hand_Time which is priced keeping in mind the service parts and wear of the case. As far as I can see, this one is authentic,

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-rolex-explorer-1016-w-service-dial-hands.109081/

Edited Mar 28, 2020
    Dan S likes this.
  5. killer67 Mar 11, 2020

remember to add 30ish% for b+p

6. snunez Mar 11, 2020

b+p ?

7. eskiserkan Mar 11, 2020

box + papers
    Full set in good condition is around 16-20k euros.

8. CoDiffe Mar 11, 2020

The 1016 is one of the best 4 digit Rolex models out there. If I could find an excellent example (don’t care about b&p) for $11k - I’d go for it.

Must be looking in all the wrong places because the models I’ve seen in that price range are not something I’d want to purchase.

Also, at the risk of being kicked off this forum - I’d rather have a matte dial than a gilt.

airansun, Stripey, Caliber561 and 4 others like this.
  9. thelinendial Mar 11, 2020

@CoDiffe - matte dial fan here too.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  10. snunez Mar 11, 2020

I must be looking in the wrong places too; my experience is the same. I want a wearer, so matte dial and no b&p are fine, but it seems they are either overpriced for what they are, or collectors only pieces (b&p, perfect dial, etc) for $20K plus. I guess that's why I asked the question.

Perhaps the ones we're looking for turn over via dealers or sources and aren't really advertised.

CoDiffe likes this.
  11. Dan S Mar 11, 2020

It's the same as every desirable vintage watch. If you just look at high-end dealer asking prices, you will get one impression (e.g. EWC has a matte dial listed for $16k). If you watch eBay, you will mostly see garbage selling at low prices. If you sort through all of that, a few percent of listings will sell at no-reserve auction or in a forum classified section for what I consider FMV.

Like I always say: Good, cheap, or fast. You can have any two of the three, but not all of them. There are many watches that I've been hunting for years.

watch3s and Dash1 like this.
  12. snunez Mar 11, 2020

Fair enough. I guess the key, for me, is a lack of a sustained search. I tend to get frustrated after a couple of months with no results and then get distracted by some other shiny object. I suspect I'm not alone.

JohnLy and Dan S like this.
  13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 11, 2020

If you find a nice unmolested and original example for 10-11-12k you need to buy it fast.

bazamu likes this.
  14. killer67 Mar 12, 2020

Matte dial worth owning is 15K easy depending on lume, frog foot, 3,6,9 font size, patina etc
    gilt is mid/high 20s and add a big premium for tropical, starry sky or whatever the new patinated nick name is

15. Tri-national-man Mar 12, 2020

..Apparently “R” serial 1016s have a premium over other matte dial ones as this was last year of (smallish) production..(1989)

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 12, 2020

That sums up my take on just about the entire Rolex market. Plentiful watches that can be bought at several places every day of the week, trading at values as though they are unicorns that pop up once or twice a lifetime. Just 2c worth...good luck with the haggling and hunt...it might be prudent to wait a bit, prices likely to come down with what is happening in the world presently.

watch3s, ConElPueblo and Sanremo like this.
  17. snunez Mar 19, 2020

What do you know, one pops up just a week or so after this posting. Does anyone have a pointer to a good 1016 FAQ or guide? I'm a little bit concerned by a couple of things in the description:

Original matte black dial with aged tritium markers
    Newer set of original serviced hands
    'Frog foot' coronet
    Original stainless steel folded bracelet
    744 xxx circa 1961

Wouldn't a circa 1961 1016 have a gilt dial if original? They're asking $10K. It's a Mom & Pop watch shop, located in a rather dubious mall, and I'm skeptical.

rolex_vintage_explorer_1016.jpg rolex_vintage_explorer_1016-1.jpg rolex_vintage_explorer_1016-2.jpg rolex_vintage_explorer_1016-3.jpg

18. watch3s Mar 19, 2020

vintage is a minefield that I have no desire to tiptoe in. ill look through binoculars though. that being said, a lot of these are snatched up quickly if they are good complete pieces. I believe I once checked a vintage site and saw them around $10k last year however I was reminded on the forums no one has updated that site in over 3 years. even some honestly listed pieces are in $15k range (detailing service/replacement hands etc)

19. Dan S Mar 19, 2020

I'm skeptical about that dial.

airansun, Linesiders and watch3s like this.
  20. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Mar 19, 2020

Agree, even after forgetting about the missing T < 25

watch3s likes this.